Top 6 Tips for a Safe Internet Experience
1. Keep your computer's operating system and programs are up-to-date. This will close exploitable holes in the programs.
2. No computer is safe from viruses, spyware, and other malicious code. Keep your anti-virus and anti-malware programs up to date, and run scans regularly.
3. Back up your files regularly. In case something goes wrong, you don't want to lose years' worth of pictures, documents, music, and so on.
4. Don't use the same password for every site you join. In particular, use strong, random passwords for your email account(s), online banking and shopping, and anything of a sensitive nature.
5. Be wary about giving out your name or location. You'd be surprised how easy it can be to find information about all sorts of regular people.
6. Even legitimate-looking emails (from, say, a bank) can be forgeries. When in doubt, don't click the suspicious link; instead, type the real site's address manually to ensure you visit the proper site.
For further information, advice and tips, visit http://www.onguardonline.gov/, maintained by the Federal Trade Commission of the United States of America.