The Hobbit - Introduce Yourself!

Class led by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

The Hobbit - Introduce Yourself!

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:46 pm

As it says here --
Post in the introduction class forum, introducing yourself with your HOL name, any HOL nicks, what house you are in, and what year you joined. Post to say whether you have seen The Hobbit movie(s), read the book, or both.
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Kendra Givens
Moontrimmer

Re: The Hobbit - Introduce Yourself!

Post by Kendra Givens » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:57 pm

Hi, All,

I'm Kendra Givens (also known as Kenny, Dra, Kendy, etc). I'm a 4th year Ravenclaw Prefect. I've been on the site almost officially three years now - March 11th is my HOL-aversary! I’ve never read any of the Tolkien books, and I think I might have seen the Hobbit movie, but don’t remember it. Or I might not have. I do know that I’ve seen the LoTR movies about a million times since my grandmother was obsessed with them, which caused me eventually to run away whenever they came on TV. Not that I don’t like them, I just got very tired of them. That might explain why I don’t think I’ve seen the Hobbit movies yet. I do feel like I need to read the books at some point as well, just because there are a lot of ‘classics’ out there that I’ve not yet experienced.

See you all around!
Flora Radley
No broom

Post by Flora Radley » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:03 am

Hello everyone, I'm Flora, Flora Radley. I'm a first year Hufflepuff. I was on HOL with a different account like around four years ago, but kind of forgot about it as I got busy, but now I'm back! I watched the movies first, and tried to read the hobbit, but the font was too small and I gave up. I probably will try to read the book again sometime, when I have time. I really loved the movies though. I also watched all of the Lord of the Rings movies. Also, my favourite character while watching the movie was Tauriel, but sadly, she does not appear in the original book. Random fun fact, last year, my English teacher talked a bit about Tolkien and his Middle Earth World when we read Beowulf, since Tolkien had studied Beowulf.
Velvetina Belle
No broom

Post by Velvetina Belle » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:56 am

Hi all!

My name is Velvetina Belle, though most people just call me Belle! I'm a first year Slytherin who joined HOL a couple of weeks ago and am really excited to get stuck into everything - especially this class!

I was so excited when I saw that there was a focus on the hobbit. I first read the book when I was about eight years old and loved the mystery and intrigue that surrounded every step. I also have a fondness from dragons so that helped - though I maintain anyone would be as cranky as Smaug if you'd been woken up from a nap! As I've re-read the book over the years I've come to have a different appreciation for it and the cleverness it holds; though will never truly escape the wonder of the first time I discovered Middle Earth.

I am one of those people who also enjoys the films, it added so much of the rest of Middle Earth lore and gave faces to names that I'd previously only imagined. The lush soundtrack also did wonders for my brain.

Thanks!

Velvetina Belle
Nivek Skytook
No broom

Post by Nivek Skytook » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:35 pm

Hello everyone!

Nivek Skytook here, technically a first year - though if you can believe it, I used to hover around these parts some fifteen years ago. I'm in Gryffindor, and quite fond of the Quidditch pitch. I've been getting back on the broomstick lately, but I'm not as limber as I used to be. I have both read The Hobbit and seen the films, and great prefer the book - a precursor to my entire bookshelf, lined by the likes of Robert Jordan, George RR Martin, Robin Hobb, Joe Abercrombie...the list goes on and on and on! Looking forward to jumping back into the Middle-Earth with this group!

Return to “The Hobbit, From Tolkien to Jackson”