What Is In A Name?

General Notices and Discussions

Moderator: Prefects

Emily Johnson
Oakshaft 79

Post by Emily Johnson »

ermmm...my name isnt original... i LOVE the name Emily....and without realizing it....my last name is the same as Angelinas and i happen to be a die-hard quidditch fan....
<3<3
Emmy

"to say one tastes like chicken is the highest possible compliment"
Prof. Hermione Pena
No broom

Post by Prof. Hermione Pena »

My names not original at all! Hermione, of course, is from the HP books, because I think I'm a lot like her. Pena is just my real last name.
Magic is the sun that makes a rainbow out of rain
Magic keeps the dream alive to try and try again
Magic is the love that stays when good friends have to leave
I do believe in magic, I believe
Duniper Bay
No broom

Post by Duniper Bay »

Duniper is from a while ago when my friend and I were confusing this guy on MSN. We were making up secret identities and being quite stupid when she said "And what will your name be?"

"Juniper." I says. She nods.
" Ahh.... Duniper?" She asks. I shake my head.
"JUNIPER!" I exclaim but she puts up her hand.
"Silence." she begins, " Your name is Duniper!"

And it stuck.

Bay is from when I was signing up for HOL I was looking around my room for a last name. I see a magazine ad for "UNIONBAY" So i say "Ah, Let thy name be 'Duniper Bay!!' "

I grin in spite of my cleverness and fill in the rest of the form.

The history of the name 'Duniper Bay'.
Once. I went to Burberry. And I wanted an Umbrella. But it was $95.00 american. So I didn't buy it.

That is the story of my life.
Kiara Bell
No broom

Post by Kiara Bell »

lol mine is quite simple. I always loved the name kiara, though it's spelled Chiara. It's Italian, like my family but unfortunely my mom didn't go with kiara and chose another Italian name for me that I am not particulary fond of. anyways, I had the chance to chose my name so I chose one of the names I love /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> and the Bell thing is quite easy. I love Katie Bell, don't ask why, bc I don't know, and Bell is her last name. It said the name had to be hp related so I chose her last name and kiara. I think I am the only Bell around here hehe. Even my twin has a different last name /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />, infact none of my sisters has my same last name /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />:P
kiara

Kiara Bell l ki090 l Captain of the Chicken Hunt Brigade l Owner of The Jar l Keeper of all Spices l Ruler Of Larissa l Goddess Of Beauty l Wife to Oliver Wood (yes he is MINE and ONLY mine! :P) l Gryffindor Cheerleader and Coach :)

A-C4 A-CS1

<3 Gryffindor
Alicia Comaneci
No broom

Post by Alicia Comaneci »

I chose
~Alicia: cause Nagini and Mia said it suits me.
~Comaneci: cause my muggle name is Nadia and im really into gymnastics so it just seemed right. /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

~Don't let the past dictate who you are, but let it be part of who you become.~

Alicia Comaneci
Hufflepuff
al319

Prof. Tricky Doubt
No broom

Post by Prof. Tricky Doubt »

/biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />
I received my name when mom Hepzibha was giving birth to me.
Gallimattias (my dad) and my uncle Maximus Experimentus were
both very nervous and did som experiment to cool their nerves down
in the attic where the first workshop was. Well the * thing backfired and
the roof came off. The noice was so loud that mom squeezed me out pretty quick!
Dad and Max came running down the stairs hearing her screams and saw it happen.
Then dad had an *aha* experience and realised what went wrong with the spell.
As I came into the world he shouted Heureka (I have/got it!) (don't know how the
Greek word is usually explained in english. Perhaps you know the true story about that word?).
Well so since then I am Heureka.

The sirname Inventatool is not the familyname by birth and relation. It has it's own story.
It has to do with not so fun relatives and was taken by my family as a protest and because dad is an innovator.

I do invent stuff. So far I have invented four tools since I started school.
" Hope for the Best, Expect the Worst...DADA II!"

Linnea Huse
No broom

Post by Linnea Huse »

well.... I have always liked the name Linnea (it is my middle name:P) and Huse is a guys last name that I know and when I made my name last year he was the first name that came to mind /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />
luv alwayz,
*~Linnea Huse~*
QUOTE "Remember, the ones we love never really leave us."Â ~Gary Oldman as Sirius Black PoA~[/quote]
I'm in some Sirius denial
Prof. Cassandra Lobiesk
Cleansweep One

Post by Prof. Cassandra Lobiesk »

Since I'm more interested in secondary characters or those who are not very well-known, I settled for Cassandra. Okay, so she is well-known in mythology as the prophetess who was cursed. I found her character interesting and I stuck with the name (plus, it sounds pretty elegant). Lobiesk just popped out of my head, probably because the first name I thought of was an actress' (one with the last name of Sobieski) and decided to change it a bit and voila, Cassandra Lobieski was born. ^-^
Lilac Lovely
No broom

Post by Lilac Lovely »

Well...honestly .. its the silliest thing...

Back last May 2001...when I needed "the name"...I had no idea what to put..so looking about my computer desk, I spotted a bottle of hand lotion with the fragrance "Lovely Lilac"...flippitdy switch...Lilac Lovely...
Lilac
John Osseus

Post by John Osseus »

well back in the day when i was lil John Ridgeback, a student, I was good friends with Prof. Blue(that isn't the same), and I had a dream to be a prof. I owe it to her, she gave me thr guts to send me email in to Marina.
Well she helped me for weeks pick out a name and, I wanted a Greek Myth name, and I found Atlas, well I wanted a same letter for the last name so I played around a bit, and I thought of my cajun heritage and thought of acadian, and Acadius just formed!!! Thanks Blue! Your a doll.

Acady
Conary Barclay
No broom

Post by Conary Barclay »

I was writing a story for a sort of RPG, and I came up with an elaborate background, and even part of a story, and the main character in that story was Conary Barclay. At the time I signed up, I was working on the story, and I liked the name so much (and still do! /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />) I decided to sign up for HOL with it.

Conary - Celtic - Wise Man
I've always loved Celtic stuff, and since it reminds me of Welsh (A language I want to learn) I like the name even more! /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Barclay - From the meadow of the Birch Tree
In the story, the family estate is situated on the edge of a large lake, at the end of a sloping meadow, wich is in the middle of a forest of Birch trees. I looked for a name I liked (Barclay) and used the meaning as a location. Also, I found out later that Barclay was the name of a bank near a school that I wanted to go to, just an interesting twist.

-Conary
/huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />
Ravenclaw- Conary Barclay - co004
Eagle Fact: More than 80% of the southeastern eagle population resides in Florida.
Misty McManus
No broom

Post by Misty McManus »

Ok, well, my name is actually unusually boring, in fact I would really like to change it...maybe next year /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Anyway, I decided I must have a name that begins with M as my RL name does (can't get too confusing can we? /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> )...and POOF! Misty just popped into my head. Yeah I know, but it wasn't as boring as it sounds.

And for my surname, well.....as anyone seen the movie Boondock Saints? Well, anyway, the two main characters are two Irish brothers named Conner and Murphy McManus. I loved the last name, and since I am about 50% Irish, I decided to use it. Viola...Misty McManus is born into HOL. Although many of you wouldn't know that since I am stupid and only registered as Misty, oh well, cest la vie /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />
~*Misty*~
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today"--James Byron Dean
Misty McManus | mi211 | Gryffindor
Angelina Osbourne
No broom

Post by Angelina Osbourne »

Hi everybody! /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />
Well, my name is ALL Buffy!
I chose the first name of Angel, and the second name of Oz (Daniel Osbourne)
Plus, I dont really like my real name, you can do so much more with a long name like Angelina (You can call me Angie, Angela, if you're french you can call me Angelique...Name-fun:))
Me like name-fun

/blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> Angelina
Angelina Osbourne | an311 | Slytherin Prefect | Hunter Slyth
Aaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiissssssssssuuuuuuhhhhhhhssssssssss!
Go to bed, Jim!!! *g*
Prof. Willow Laffengraff
Silver Arrow

Post by Prof. Willow Laffengraff »

So many creative people! /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

At the time I was trying to think up a name, I was also trying to write a book. The main character's name was Willow. There just happens to be a willow tree in my yard and I looked at it and thought it was a pretty name. I never even thought of the Whomping Willow until later. (After HOL started, I never made it back to the book. /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" /> )

As for Laffengraff, "graff" comes from "graphology", the study of handwriting. So I played around with that in my head and decided to put Laff with it because that's one of my favorite things to do! /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />
Veritas et Scienta Praebo ad Astra
Ravenclaw - Pride, Integrity, Honesty - and Humor!!
"Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure" (Luna Lovegood)

Amara Dreamdancer
No broom

Post by Amara Dreamdancer »

I picked out my surname first...I just wanted something fantasy-ish for a harry Potter thing....."dream"--well, I have really funky dreams, and I danced for 10 years, until I started art lessons last year.
I went to a baby naming website, and looked under a catagory for names that meant things from nature, etc. I found Amara, which means "everlasting". I liked it because, even though I was stopping dance to paint, I was still a dancer. I had just made the decision, and it was really tearing me up then, so that's just how I decided. I kinda wish it were shorter now...

*Agent A*
The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool. ~William Shakespeare
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous. ~Graffito
Kenna Love
No broom

Post by Kenna Love »

Well, mine wasn't that difficult because my real name is Kenna Love...lol.

-Kenna-
Elizabeth Myst
No broom

Post by Elizabeth Myst »

My Real name is Kelsey, And i think its such a boring name. Elizabeth is my Middle name so thats how i got my first name. Myst, is like my fave CD-rom game EVER so.. there you have it.

~~Lizzie~~

Agent Z--Elizabeth Myst--el079-- Gryffindor*
---;@
Katrina Potter
No broom

Post by Katrina Potter »

ummm.... just got my name katrina coz i like it, but my real name is katherine so its pretty close to it and my last name ... i got it from harry. hehehehe... coz i love him, but im much fond of ron but i cant change it to weasley anymore, so its ok. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />
katrina potter| ka015| ravenclaw
Mia Phoenixfeather
No broom

Post by Mia Phoenixfeather »

Well Mia has always been my nickname, and I took phoenixfeather because phoenixes are totally cool. And thats it. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> I didnt realise how boring it was before.

~mia
~ * Mia - Gryffindor Lioness * ~
'Goodnight Moon' Banned for Encouraging Children to Communicate With Furniture.
Prof. Davnen Graywords
No broom

Post by Prof. Davnen Graywords »

Ok, I think it's time for me to try to explain my full name.

The full name is as follows :

Davnen/Dalgeroth Zelgadis Graywords Erebelin Blestatso, "The Magicbanner"

Dalgeroth was the first nick I used at internet, taken from the Algeroth (a demon) and added a "D". I used that nick for around two years or so.

Then the Slayers anime series arrived here, and I was fully identificated in Zelgadis Graywords, a chimera-like character, so I added it to the nickname (in Internet I add a "lord" and use Lord Graywords to not get confused with the huge quantity of Zelgadis in internet)

Erebelin is taken from Elvish (yeah, that Elvish from LOTR) : "Ereb" means lone or lonely, while "elin" means star. Join the words and u get "Erebelin" (Lone Star). I added it because sounds pretty and I'm very independent and most times I go on my own, so I'm a "Lone Star".

Blestatso is the last adquisition thanks to Sindor Aloyarc due to a funny Ravenclaw RPG.

"The Magicbanner" is an alias I used for an anime rpg in which I was a black wizard hunter, with items which reflected magic, so "The Magic Banner"

As I became a prof, I decided Dalgeroth was not the name for the new reborn prof, so I chose a name best suited, taken from other character designed for me, Davinian-na-Mashir, and turned into Davnen.

Don't worry, most people call me "Gray", so you don't have to remember the full name

Prof. Davnen Graywords

Return to “The Great Hall”