Which Harry Potter pet would you like to have and why?

Discussions about your interests outside of HOL

Moderator: Prefects

Prof. Alexander Brighton
Moontrimmer

Which Harry Potter pet would you like to have and why?

Post by Prof. Alexander Brighton »

The Harry Potter pet I would like is Hedwig. People have rats and cats and sometimes toads as pets, but I think it would be really cool to have a pet owl like Hedwig. It would be different and funny, but it would be awesome. She could deliver my mail for me! So what kind of Harry Potter pet would you like to have?
Gail Allen
Cleansweep One

Re: Which Harry Potter pet would you like to have and why?

Post by Gail Allen »

Owls are certainly useful and while at Hogwarts where there is the owlery and they can be taken care of, I would expect they aren't that much work either, but as a pet otherwise... I don't think I'd much enjoy an owl. I just wouldn't want to take care of a bird.

I would very much prefer a cat; I could cuddle with it and hear it pur and I have always loved having a cat in my room when I study; They might sleep and look so peaceful and calm and it gives me a peaceful feeling too, or they might be up to all sorts of antics which provides entertainment for me to get my mind off of things for a moment now and then without really interrupting my workflow. So, for me, it's definitely going to be a cat.
Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
Comet 140

Post by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc »

For the last twenty years, I’ve always imagined that I’d have a Tawny Owl named “Siren” with me at Hogwarts.

The first year or so I got into HP, my family was at a cabin up north in Maine in a little town (that basically is a mile long road) and they have a “Trading Post” where lots of random stuff are sold. They happened to have a small, (fake)feathered tawny owl figurine, and while I no longer have that in my possession, I kept that through all of my HOL student years.

I think owls are so mysterious and beautiful, and I have always felt very connected to them. Interestingly enough, my partner has a gorgeous owl tattoo that covers his entire upper back/shoulder area!

Being such a social person, I can’t imagine being without a special friend who would send and receive mail with me.
Deputy Headmaster | Deputy Head of Ravenclaw
"⁠—Starry, starry night. Paint your palette blue & grey."
Prof. Sky Alton
Twigger 90

Post by Prof. Sky Alton »

I badly want a puffskein. Not a pygmy puff (they're so tiny I'd worry about squishing it). What I really want is a proper full sized, custard coloured ball of fluff that hums with contentment. I can't imagine anything better to snuggle up with on cold nights. The tongue would be a bit of an issue but I'm sure we could come to some sort of understanding about where it does and doesn't go.
"Growing up doesn't have to mean I lose the cape, the faith, the dream. I'm so done with that... I'm taking it back."
(Av/sig by S. Elf)
Sophie Howell
No broom

Post by Sophie Howell »

If I were to have a Harry Potter pet I would easily choose an owl. Ideally, I would like a tawny owl called Merlin. I like the idea of having an owl in the Wizarding World as a pet because it is the most "magical" normal approved pet you can get as a student. Cats and toads are just as common in the Muggle word so its not really that unique or different. However, owls seem a lot more mysterious and fun.

As well as they are known to be very practical in terms of sending letters, which I think I would enjoy. Not to mention as well, owls are incredibly beautiful and majestic.
Fien Malfoy
No broom

Post by Fien Malfoy »

If I were at Hogwarts I would want an owl as a pet anyway. They are so smart and intelligent and I think they are really beautiful animals. A cat or a rat is not my thing. I find a cat boring because they often just sleep and don't really want to play and a rat is, in my opinion, weird to have as a pet.
Prof. Maxim Trevelyan
Nimbus 1000

Post by Prof. Maxim Trevelyan »

I think an owl would be my first thought, but then again, the school has plenty of school owls (or Hogsmeade theirs) so I could use them if need be.

So I would probably pick a cat. I own three, so it is hard to imagine not having one as a constant companion and tripping hazard.
...also a platonic soulmate and a hot mess of a human being.

Return to “Discussions”