Task 10: Taking Stock

Moderators: Prof. Sky Alton, Prof. Kendra Givens, Arianna Stonewater, Prof. Rorey Padfoot

Prof. Sky Alton
Twigger 90

Task 10: Taking Stock

Post by Prof. Sky Alton »

As you turn away from your final trip to the refreshment table, you have to gather together everything you’ve picked up during the fair. Sheets and sheets of parchment, free gifts and various other things, they’ve all been thrust on you by very enthusiastic people. You’ll need to try and make sense of them all when you have a moment to breathe.

For this task, we’d like to see what you’ve been left with after the fair. You could do this by making a collage, montage or a written inventory of what you’ve picked up. Alternatively, you could show us the notes you’ve been taking, either as a graphic or in written form. If you write something, please make it at least 80 words and if you make a graphic, please ensure that it’s 600 by 600 pixels.

You aren’t just limited to the booths that you saw with us. If there are any classes, clubs or departments that you wish HOL had, feel free to let your imagination run wild and invent mementos for those as well.

The deadline is 11:59 PM HOL-time on the 30th of September!
"Growing up doesn't have to mean I lose the cape, the faith, the dream. I'm so done with that... I'm taking it back."
(Av/sig by S. Elf)
Prof. Will Lestrange
Shooting Star

Re: Task 10: Taking Stock

Post by Prof. Will Lestrange »

As much fun as I've been happening visiting the various booths of the fair, I was distracted by the dungeon snakes hissing at me in Parseltongue - a language that I really want to bring back to this school! But even there I collected a nice little potion (I'm waiting to open it until the end of the month, but I have a feeling I know what it is). Having taken snacks from all sorts of various tables, I also remembered to take a book that caught my eye because it seemed so familiar. Recognizing the cover as "Motivation for Slytherins", I wondered if it was the nearly-empty book I remembered taking note of my first year. The last page with writing was a quarter of the way through the book, which was a bit more than I remembered. But something told me to flip back ten pages... and I recognized my eleven-year-old script detail my first few successes at this school!
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

I've learned not to collect things from fairs and celebrations unless they are particularly awesome (and I don't already have them)! That said, though, I am bringing back a bag of decadent cookies, of a double dark chocolate mix, with chocolate chips in them.

I also have a miniature Firebolt, which was given to me by someone who survived Broom Race a few years ago.

To top it off (literally) I have a fantastic double-knit hat which looks a lot like what Hermione Granger wore during a Quidditch match (as shown in one of the Muggle movies) but double-knit so that it is more proof against the sharp winds which sometimes come up. It's black (with gold stars) on one side and gold (with black stars) on the other.

Plus - I have a bunch of memories. ^_^
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Prof. Polaris Black
Comet 140

Post by Prof. Polaris Black »

Image is of a collection of HOL-themed objects: a sticker, a book sleeve, bookmarks, stamps, a golden snitch, note paper, a pen, a cookie, dice, owl treats, merch, an end of summer treat, and an extensible Hogwarts backpack to carry it all in.
A "Cassie Sig" is priceless - thank you so much!
February Fortescue
Cleansweep One

Post by February Fortescue »

superb sig by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
No matter where you go, there you are.
Anna Westbrook
No broom

Post by Anna Westbrook »

Thinking about the fair ending makes me really sad! Being a first year is tough and I’ve met so many wonderful people and I’ve picked up a lot of things along the way! In my bag, I have a bunch of Ravenclaw keepsakes such as stickers for my planner, a warm winter hat and quidditch merchandise. I took many bookmarks from the Book Club! I’ve also had my fair share in cookies, ice cream, and so many sweets! Who knew that everyone at HOL had a knack for baking?!

But what I really take back with me are the memories that I made, the people I’ve met, the good advice I’ve gained, and the knowledge that I’ll take with me throughout my time at HOL. Being so new and as a first year made me so scared, but there’s so many wonderful, caring, and kind people here and I’m so excited to see what else there is to come!
Gail Allen
Cleansweep One

Post by Gail Allen »

Being at the fair has left me with quite a few goodies - I am impressed with how much creativity people have put into creating those! Truly amazing stuff. And while I will certainly be using those in the coming school year, the thing I am even more happy about taking away from it, is the connections I've made to both new and old students and the conversations we've had. It's been great to both tell about the things I myself am involved with - hopefully people have gotten the answers they needed at my booths! - and also to hear from people manning the other booths. That's what I am most glad to have experienced at this fair.
Iverian Gnash
Cleansweep One

Post by Iverian Gnash »

I have so many amazing (and delicious) items that I've picked up throughout the fair! (Glad I found this drawstring bag to keep everything in) Inside, I have a quill for every house including multiple I took from the Gryffindor table for keepsakes. I have lots of paper from the Hufflepuff booth to use my new quills on and multiple red mini bludgers that I've been tossing in the air over and over again as I walked through the fair.

From the Ravenclaw table, I have acquired a few book sleeves for all my many books and lots of stickers both for planners and for my Ravenclaw friends that I've managed to stick all over everything (yes, that's why there's a random sticker on the side of your booth). From the Slytherin table, I have a Slytherin shirt (to try and sneak into their common room while wearing) and a few assorted mugs!

I've also managed to drink an insane amount of butterbeer. Talking about food (or drink rather), I've had chocolate chip cookies, a kind of delicious doughnut shaped like a snake and a few snickerdoodle cookies. I also managed to grab a few owl treats for my owl (which looked way too delicious to not taste - don't, they're not human food, had to learn that the hard way).

Additionally, I've stashed away a pair of seriously useful dice (maybe I'll be able to keep track of the schedule now), multiple beautiful bookmarks, and a golden toy snitch (that I've been letting fly about and then dodging the crowd of people to catch again).

Now, before this wonderful fair has to come to an end, time for one more glass of butterbeer! :lol:
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. - Dalai Lama
Brianna Caedmon
No broom

Post by Brianna Caedmon »

The welcome fair has been amazing. I have met lots of wonderful people and now I feel ready for my first year at HOL! As I leave the fair, I take a moment to peak into my bag of (yay) free stuff, which is stuffed full to the maximum and has a small toy golden snitch hovering just above it. At the bottom is a large wedge of Hufflepuff paper that I picked up because it was free, though my Slytherin pride is now telling me to colour it green before I use it. I have some very useful dice which will show me when the next Gathering and Games session will be (maybe I'll go along and see what it's like!). From the Ravenclaw booth, I have an awesome book sleeve and some bookmarks.

At the top of my bag, where they're least likely to get crushed, I have the goodies I took from the Slytherin table. I have several different Slytherin themed cups, a t-shirt, and about a dozen dark mark cookies- and that's not counting the five I already ate!
Prof. Maxim Trevelyan
Nimbus 1000

Post by Prof. Maxim Trevelyan »

I left the fair with two full bags of all sorts of knickknacks.

The first one was, true to my nature, full of snacks. Muffins from the Ravenclaw booth, other delicious things that were offered at other places and a big pile of the sweetest chocolate. To not be selfish, I also got some owl teats from HOLLERS’ booth for my pet.

I took two pens from the Gryffindor booth, as I always seem to misplace them at the most inopportune times, knitted pair of gloves from the Hufflepuff booth and from Slytherin house, a cup to drink my tea and coffee from.
...also a platonic soulmate and a hot mess of a human being.
Arianna Stonewater
Comet 140

Post by Arianna Stonewater »

I love collecting things! I have an entire compartment in my trunk that has an extension charm on it and it is only for things I collect! From this particular event I have collected a t-shirt from EVERY house, department, and club on the school grounds! I've also collected a rather cool Ravenclaw mug that will always keep your drink, hot or cold, the perfect temperature! I got a nifty pair of Badger socks that never get holes and always stick together when they're not on my feet; a Gryffindor heated broom seat cushion with weatherproofing, and a Slytherin jacket that will keep even the chilliest draft at bay in the Dungeons!
Adaleine Shuster

Post by Adaleine Shuster »

I've picked up something from every house! I love freebies, but there were so many that I was worried I wouldn't be able to carry them all! Luckily I found an old bag that I had lost on my very first day here! From Slytherin I got a t-shirt, a mug, and a travel cup. From Ravenclaw I got an amazing book sleeve (I chose the one with the Ravenclaw crest and the stripes on the back), some cute stickers for my new planner, an "I love a Ravenclaw!" sticker, and a ton of Nessa's cookies. From the Gryffindors I got a lovely pen! From Hufflepuff I got a lot of paper, and a bunch of fake diamonds! I also got a cool pair of dice that tell you what day and month the next meeting will be and can be used as normal dice!

Return to “Welcome Month”