Flash Fiction

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Flash Fiction

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

Flash Fiction is back! This is your challenge to make stories in miniature!

As Sky introduced Flash Fiction, lo a year ago, "flash fictions are stories that pride themselves on being short, really short. Providing it has a beginning, middle and an end, even a sentence can tell a story. A typical example is this one by Augusto Monterroso:
When he woke up, the Dinosaur was still there
"
So let's make storytelling fun. We have Rory's Story Cubes (storytelling picture dice) and each week we'll be rolling them and giving you 3 random items. Now you create a tiny story of 30 to 50 words with them! Your story can be funny, serious or completely random: from a simple 'this is how the day started' to finding out that the butler really did do it - in a galaxy far, far away! Write about anything you like -- but you need to include all 3 items and have a beginning, middle and end in your story. Use the dice rolls for that particular week (no going back and using previous ones). And always, keep the HOL rules in mind at all times.

You’ll earn 15 beans per story so put your imaginations in gear!
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Re: Flash Fiction

This weeks things to include are:
butterfly, dragon, wizard

For example;
Enchanted by the butterfly winging past him, the wizard found himself following it into a dark cave. Inside he was astonished to find it perched on what appeared to be a huge rib bone of a dragon, fanning her wings lazily, and belatedly recognized the species -- interfectorem papilionem. (50 words)
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Vanessa Tilley
Silver Arrow

Post by Vanessa Tilley »

Words;
butterfly, dragon, wizard

Zabini called out to his faithful pet. "Dragon! Where are you?" After a couple of seconds, the wizard smiled as his faithful pet butterfly landed on his shoulder. "There you are. It is time to head out on our next adventure." said the wizard and began walking toward the forest. (50 words)

Siggy and avatar made by the wonderful Professor Scarlet for Slythmas! :wub:
Prof. Maxim Trevelyan
Nimbus 1000

Post by Prof. Maxim Trevelyan »

Wizard faced against the dragon and raised his arm to strike the final blow. Looking into the dragon’s eyes, the wizard felt pity and let the dragon go. The beast flew away and due to the butterfly effect this decision changed the course of history.

45 words
...also a platonic soulmate and a hot mess of a human being.
Serenity Shaffer
No broom

Post by Serenity Shaffer »

Words: butterfly, dragon, wizard

The old wizard looked into the eyes of his grandson. “Do you want to hear a story about granddaddy’s adventures?” The boy nodded his head furiously. “Tell me the one where you fight the dragon.” The old man smiled. “It was summer and I just wanted to catch a butterfly...”

50 words
Emily Spencer
Comet 180

Post by Emily Spencer »

The ancient dragon stood guard over the treasure. Years ago, an equally ancient wizard had tasked him with the job, and not once had he faltered. His eyes flickered as a butterfly landed on the casket of Arthur Pendragon.

"Merlin, your treasure is safe with me ."

50 words
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who’s going to stop me.”
Head Student/Slytherin Prefect/Student Teacher/Library & Book Club Head
Prof. Polaris Black
Comet 140

Post by Prof. Polaris Black »

“I want to go Hogwarts and be a wizard.”
“You’ll have to wait for your letter,” his mother said
“Then I want a dragon. We can get a baby and no one will even notice!”
“Pet dragons are still illegal,” his mother said.
“Well then, how about a butterfly?” (49 words)
A "Cassie Sig" is priceless - thank you so much!
Amy Darvill
Oakshaft 79

Post by Amy Darvill »

The wizard tucked the dragon youngling against his chest, twisting to see if he was being followed. But no alarm rang and he smirked. He had won, the dragon was his, not hers. He slipped out of the cave, missing the strangely curious butterfly following him.

(46 words)
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

A new week and new words to use!

expression, torch/flashlight, bridge

Her expression was priceless as she spied the velociraptor perched on the bridge, hiding in the darkness, but exposed by the strong beam of her torch. (26 words)
Vanessa Tilley
Silver Arrow

Post by Vanessa Tilley »

Expression, bridge, torch/flashlight

Nessa ran across the rope bridge and an awed expression appeared on her face as she looked upon the secret cave. "I can't believe it is real!" Nessa grabbed her torch and entered the cave to search for the lost pirate treasure. (42 words)

Prof. Maxim Trevelyan
Nimbus 1000

Post by Prof. Maxim Trevelyan »

Rick sported a grim expression on his face as he tapped his torch on the piece of paper. Electricity went out an hour ago just as he was starting his homework. Sniffing at his misfortune, he turned back to the task: 'What is the expression? 1. _____ under the bridge'

49 words
...also a platonic soulmate and a hot mess of a human being.
Iverian Gnash
Cleansweep One

Post by Iverian Gnash »

Taking my first step onto the rickety bridge, I was beyond frightened. An expression of terror was on my face as I made my way across. It was dark and I wished I had brought a flashlight with me. Luckily, I reached the end safely.

45 words
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. - Dalai Lama
Raevia Ward
No broom

Post by Raevia Ward »

An uncomfortable silence fell as they regarded the dying torch, expressions solemn. “What do you suggest we do now,” one started, gesturing wildly, “mum is going to kill us”. “Not if we die here first, so I’d rather cross that bridge when we get to it” her brother supplied helpfully. (50 words)
Prof. Polaris Black
Comet 140

During the 25-minute predawn ferry ride, she and the other marathon runners photographed the illuminated torch-bearing Statue of Liberty, took a selfie with a determined expression, and snapped the fabulous Verrazano-Narrows Bridge. Once in the terminal, she ran to the shuttle that would get her to the race start. (49 words)
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

New words for our third week -

calendar, code, music

'This is of such an oddness', Alice thought to herself, as she studied the code. “It appears to be a calendar of some sort but written in notes of music, not letters and numbers.” She tried it ... and realized that the first new Mayan Long Count day was October 1st. [50 words]
Emily Spencer
Comet 180

Post by Emily Spencer »

The calendar was marked "Music Festival" in bold letters. That was merely code for "Concert Mum must never know about" Previously forbidden, seeing the Weird Sisters was the mission, not getting caught the plan. It all depended on how well I could threaten convince my sister to keep my secret. [50 words]
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who’s going to stop me.”
Head Student/Slytherin Prefect/Student Teacher/Library & Book Club Head
Prof. Polaris Black
Comet 140

She eventually deciphered the code. The key was based in music; two flats meant taking every second letter beginning at the start of the section while three sharps indicated every third letter beginning at the end. It was definitely worth memorializing so she marked the date on her calendar. (49 words)
Raevia Ward
No broom

Post by Raevia Ward »

In the dim lit room they worked on the code as the music went on and on, not even realising that the calendar was running out of pages one by one. (31 words)
Vanessa Tilley
Silver Arrow

Post by Vanessa Tilley »

Calendar, Music, and Code

Nessa was practicing the Morse Code alphabet when she heard her mother calling for her. As Nessa got off her bed, she happened to see the calendar and realized that she was late for her music lesson. (37 words)

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

September's 4th week of Flash Fiction gives us ...

cane, theatre, moon

The gnome, cane in hand, snuck into the theatre and, on the moon-lit stage, did a marvelous, intricate tap dance, finishing with a triple somersault off the platform. He then vanished into the night. [34 words]

Return to “Book Club”