Deathly Hallows - Which one would you choose?

Discussions About the Harry Potter World

Moderator: Prefects

Hannah R Thomas
No broom

Deathly Hallows - Which one would you choose?

Post by Hannah R Thomas »

The Deathly Hallows have always been an interesting topic amongst the wizarding world. Some believe they never existed; however, others believe otherwise. We already know the answer, thanks to Harry Potter himself. The question is: which one would you choose? Any particular reason why you would choose this particular Hallow?

I would take the Invisibility cloak because of the many advantages it has. One would be acting like a Demiguise. If you wish to become Magizoologist, you can use the cloak to have a particular understanding of this creature and how it likes to get around invisibly. In a way, you can have your privacy and stay up late without someone noticing.
Success just doesn't come and find you, you have to go get it yourself - Carmichael
Happiness can be found in the darkest of times if one remembers to turn on the light - Albus Dumbledore
Shiloh Adlar
Cleansweep One

Re: Deathly Hallows - Which one would you choose?

Post by Shiloh Adlar »

I am terrible, but I would probably choose the resurrection stone but only if it worked properly instead of bringing back someone the way it does in The Tale of Three Brothers. I would absolutely want to bring back my brother with it so I could see him again, even if it is a little selfish.
Shiloh Adlar, Seventh Year
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire
Shadow Gaunt
Oakshaft 79

Post by Shadow Gaunt »

I would choose the cloak of invisibility because who doesn't want to be invisible? It's useful, and doesn't have any drawbacks. Plus it was the object of choice from the youngest brother (the smart brother) in the fairy tale.
Shadow Gaunt
"In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes."-Benjamin Franklin
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

While I would like to say the Invisibility Cloak, I think it would be more true to say the Elder Wand.

Why is this? It's because I think the Elder wand could act as a very good alert and responsive shield.

I wouldn't need to use it as a weapon. After all, I have my Oceanspray and Cherry wood wands. :)

edit: Yes, exactly! It would be the ultimate 'shield charm' source; program it so that all that yuck would just bounce right back at the caster. :D A quick google search for 'shield charm' gets this -
Shield Charm
Normally invisible. Spells bouncing off of the shield give off their own light.
Effect
Magically blocks spells & physical entities
"You wouldn't believe how many people, even people who work at the Ministry, can't do a decent Shield Charm."
—George Weasley regarding the charm[src]
The Shield Charm (Protego) is a term applied to several varieties of charms. They create a magical barrier to deflect physical entities and spells, in order to protect a certain person or area. Conjurations may sometimes rebound directly off it back towards the caster or in other cases, may ricochet off in other directions or dissipate as soon as they hit the shield.
History
It's unknown who the inventor of the spell was and when it was invented.
In 1484 in the town of Poppleton, the tyrannical Earl of Paunchley held a jousting match. He insisted that all the nobles for miles around must come to cheer him on at the tournament and "no excuse would be acceptable" for missing the event. But young Edmund Gaddlegate fell out of a tree that day and broke his leg, and his mother put him to bed. The Earl wouldn't hear of anyone staying home, so he dragged Edmund and his mother to the castle, and said the mother had to watch while her child was tied to a horse and forced to compete in the jousting.

The other knights left the tournament "in disgust" at the idea of jousting with a small injured boy, so the Earl vowed that he himself would attack Edmund. But a witch in the crowd named Hannah Cockleford had other ideas. Fed up with the evil Earl, she cast an extremely strong Shield Charm between Edmund and the Earl, who was "squashed flat in his armour" when the Shield Charm knocked him backwards and his horse landed on him. The Earl of Paunchley did not die, but when he came-to he was under the impression that he was a donkey named Hairy Cyril.
Last edited by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black on Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: adding more information about 'shield charm' after a brilliant person questioned what I meant - Tarma
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Argus Malvoy
No broom

Post by Argus Malvoy »

hard choice between elder wand or invisibility cloak
Gail Allen
Cleansweep One

Post by Gail Allen »

I'd go with the invisibility cloak. It's a great tool if you use it right. I would just be careful never to risk eavesdropping: Those that do never hear anything nice about themselves as I know from personal experience: I was once on a camp where people thought I was asleep and that the walls were more soundproof than they were and so they spoke freely about me while I was awake and couldn't help hearing them unless I came out of the room to let them know I was awake. And let's just say what I heard wasn't nice. But somehow I didn't have the courage either to tell them I wasn't asleep.

So, I would make sure not to use the cloak in any place where people might be talking about me. At least if they were people where I cared about their opinion of me even in the smallest bit.
But being able to move unseen could certainly have it's advantages. Or even just hiding from people who wanted to find me when I did not wish to be found.
Iverian Gnash
Cleansweep One

Post by Iverian Gnash »

Oh my goodness! *groans* Not this question! I would say the Elder Wand because I seek power (I’ll admit it) and wouldn’t want to lose a duel. Would anyone?
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. - Dalai Lama
Wysteria Grimmhilde
No broom

Post by Wysteria Grimmhilde »

I am torn between the invisibility cloak and the resurrection stone.

The invisibility cloak is awesome because of all the things you can do with it. Also, it feels like the right choice because it was the real gift among all the three Hallows. I think that I would want this for everyday use.

However, I know myself and I feel I would ultimately choose the resurrection stone. As someone who feels deeply for my friends and family, I would probably want something that would let me talk to those I've lost, even if it were for a short time or they were just a shadow of themselves.
Zoe Mitchell
No broom

Post by Zoe Mitchell »

The Deathly Hallows...each of the Hallows is vitally important and each one houses a power that is unexplainable to most of mankind. The Elder Wand is the most powerful wand in history, capable of almost anything. The Resurrection Stone can bring the dead back, if only for a short time before they start to become morose. And the Invisibility Cloak can hide someone from view entirely, a handy tool for one who wishes to disappear for a time.

And yet, I don't believe I would choose any of them. The Deathly Hallows may be powerful, powerful beyond belief, but I like the idea of having flaws. Of being fallible. Of being human. I do not wish to be any more powerful than this man or that woman, I simply wish to be. To live in the here and now, with no added power to what I have.

Having any of the Hallows is a sure way to create enemies. And I do not want enemies. This may make me appear weak or the total opposite of what it means to be a Gryffindor, but I do not see it that way. Gryffindors value bravery above all else. They seek nobility and honor. Just because I do not want enemies does not mean that I am not brave or noble or honorable. To turn away from having enemies does not make me weak. It makes me wiser and stronger. And maybe once I've completed growing in the way that I am supposed to grow, I will think about the Deathly Hallows.
Lora Wallabenger
No broom

Post by Lora Wallabenger »

Straightly to the Invisibility cloak ! The cloak is rather useful and who doesn't want to become invincible in some sticky situation ? (that doesn't mean I run away from problems ) but I also have mind to get the Elder wand...It's powerful you see.
Torii Taylor
No broom

Post by Torii Taylor »

I would choose the Invisibility Cloak because it seems the most useful and convenient. It can be used everyday and to be honest, who wouldn't want to be invisible for at least a little part of their life?
Pheonix Airheart
No broom

Post by Pheonix Airheart »

I would choose either the invisibility cloak or the resurrection stone. I would choose the invisibility cloak because when first reading the books and watching the movies I was fascinated with the story of the three brothers, but mostly on how the third one out smarted Death and was able to hide. I would want the resurrection stone because I would do anything to see my great aunt again. She was a huge part of my life, and I loved her so much, as she was taken by Death to soon.
Prof. Maxim Trevelyan
Nimbus 1000

Post by Prof. Maxim Trevelyan »

I think I would like the resurrection stone, but only if I can send the being I called back immediately after I would be done with our talks. There are some people and animals I would love to see again, but I would not want them to suffer needlessly in the world of the living.
...also a platonic soulmate and a hot mess of a human being.
Kira Halliwell
No broom

Post by Kira Halliwell »

Wow...that is a hard choice! Each of the Deathly Hallows offers both good and bad qualities. The Elder Wand, while amazing to have (knowing you could pretty much beat any one in a duel with it), causes others jealousy and puts a target on your back. It also brings along with it the possibility of the bearer to have an enlarged ego - knowing no one could beat you could cause quite a big head!

The Resurrection Stone is definitely one that draws me in. To be able to bring back loved ones from the dead? Who wouldn't want that? But then, one has to remember that they do not come back normal - they are not quite the same.

I would choose the Invisibility Cloak. While I know that the ability to be invisible would draw me to eavesdropping (and possibly hearing things I don't want to!), I would love the ability to move freely around, with no fear of being seen. Not that I would do anything bad with it, but it would be nice to be able to go places, see things, without the burden of others. And if I wanted to be left alone, it would really come in handy!
Marianne Arden
No broom

Post by Marianne Arden »

Out of the three Deathly Hallows , I would choose the cloack of invisibilty because it would be useful for me , it would help me go into places unnoticed and to navigate my way unbothered freely without being seen.
Aurelia Grayson
No broom

Post by Aurelia Grayson »

I know that this sounds probably ridiculous but out of the three deathly hallows.... I would probably have chosen the cloak mainly to scare the living daylights out of people cause I think it would be funny to see their reactions (Yes, I know I'm weird and twisted).
Spring Rosette
No broom

Post by Spring Rosette »

I would choose the invisibility cloak because I like the idea of being able to go somewhere without anyone seeing me, that way I could have some me time whenever I wanted to rather than having to go through social situations which I can find stressful.
Carrie Warts
No broom

Post by Carrie Warts »

I probably would go for the Elder Wand, not to brag about it but to give it a good use to help others and the earth, I'm sure that if used properly I can make amazing and great things. Don't know if it's possible since Harry broke it in half but yeah...
Thank you Ivey for my lovely first Siggy <3
Avery Beckett
No broom

Post by Avery Beckett »

The cloak. The other two have very obvious drawbacks, but the cloak has countless uses and no obvious drawbacks (except if in the wrong hands).
Kanika Rayne
No broom

Post by Kanika Rayne »

I would choose the Cloak of Invisibility because with this I could do so much undetected. I could travel by train or plane without anyone noticing and go to places all over the world. I could use it to hide if i am in danger. The possibilities are endless.

Return to “Harry Potter Talk”