Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - the movie

Moderator: Prefects

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - the movie

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald starts showing in (some) theaters soon!

When you have seen it -- did you like it or dislike it? What was great; what wasn't so great?

Please feel free to post about the movie in this subforum. However USE SPOILER TAGS if you are mentioning any information from the movie. Let's be courteous for those who haven't seen it yet -- and remember that some folks will have to wait for a while to see it ...

As is said in the Cursed Child subforum:
Spoilers without any spoiler tag will NOT be tolerated, and will be punished severely. This subforum will be monitored heavily, so you've been warned. Please be respectful toward everyone else and don't ruin this for them.
Remember, if you want to talk about Harry Potter in a more general sense, please go here -- General Harry Potter.

As always, keep your posts HOL appropriate.
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

Tags:
Prof. Alexander Brighton
Moontrimmer

Re: Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - Screenplay

Post by Prof. Alexander Brighton »

I saw Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald on Tuesday and just went again today. It is an awesome movie. So much action and surprises. I didn't read the book, but I might do that. Can't wait for the next Fantastic Beasts. :D
Maude Rudd
No broom

Re: Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - the movie

Post by Maude Rudd »

That’s awesome. I have gone twice now, as well. I am grateful got to see a Fans First screening at Universal Studios Hollywood. There was live commentary with cast, except Johnny Depp wasn’t there. I sat in front of Eddie Redmayne (Newt Scamander) he is so cool! I love the Crimes of Grindelwald. The fantastic beasts in the movie are so cool. Saw it so far once in IMAX and once in 3D. Protect the Secrets; Wands Ready!
Joey Stark
Oakshaft 79

Post by Joey Stark »

Wow Maude, that sounds amazing! I was lucky enough to win tickets to the UK premiere of the first FB film and walked past Eddie on the red carpet. I was struck by how tall he is in person (although I imagine he was sitting for most of the commentary :lol: )

I've also seen the film twice so far, I'm put some of my thoughts below:

Things I didn't like so much:
  • Some of the film felt a bit rushed, particularly the end
  • I felt a lot of the film relied on the twist at the end re: credence/Aurelius and it was felt a bit slow and convoluted to get there
  • Why was Dumbledore, who we know was a Transfiguration teacher, teaching DADA?! - this is only minor and maybe it's explained but it felt like they just threw him into that non-canon role so he could be in the boggart scene?
  • I think Flamel was underused - his character was great, (the little run he does!) but I thought we'd see some crazy centuries old alchemist magic when he arrived at the graveyard
  • It felt a little edit heavy, like scenes had been cut out leaving some stuff seeming a bit random and onscreen just for a a few moments e.g. Baby Nifflers (was looking forward to seeing these more!) and Bunty

FAVOURITE MOMENTS:
  • Eddie Redmayne's performance as Newt based on his assumption Newt likely has Asperger's (a type of autism), helllooo representation! Also really well done!
  • BABY NIFFLERS
  • Actually all the beasts! The kelpie, the augurey, the zouwu
  • "s...s..[salamander]"
  • Everything about young Albus Dumbledore
  • Zouwu + cat toy - you know the moment I mean
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Please remember to continue to use Spoiler tags when posting about the movie or the screen play Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald.. There are many people who haven't seen it yet!

If you would like to have some fun regarding this movie and screenplay, go to the Sett! You do not have to have read the book or seen the movie to engage in the activities. We're being careful to include spoiler tags. Come join the fun!

Here's the Overall Forum for Fantastic Beasts 2 and here is an Introduction to FB2
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

I received a notification from USPS that a package (a book) for which I've been waiting for months to come out (and for years to be written) was in my mailbox. So I dropped everything and went to my mailbox.

... There was a package in there, from Amazon Fulfillment Services ... and I wondered - 'but I've not ordered anything from Amazon', as I'm picking up the package with the BOOK in it with great glee.

Curiosity ... I feel of the package from Amazon. It's light-weight. Odd. But most of my focus is on the package with the book (and driving back)(the mailbox is 1/4 mile from where I live). But what is in that package? So I start to 'feel' it and all of a sudden I KNOW ... :o ... It's Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald! In Blu-ray! Extended edition and all the features! What! What?! and I open the package and it IS. I also had a hunch from whom it came - but no note. :mellow: So I called and yes.

Thank you oh Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo. ^_^
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Joey Stark wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:51 pm Wow Maude, that sounds amazing! I was lucky enough to win tickets to the UK premiere of the first FB film and walked past Eddie on the red carpet. I was struck by how tall he is in person (although I imagine he was sitting for most of the commentary :lol: )

I've also seen the film twice so far, I'm put some of my thoughts below:
FAVOURITE MOMENTS: **
  • BABY NIFFLERS
  • Actually all the beasts! The kelpie, the augurey, the zouwu
  • "s...s..[salamander]"
  • Zouwu + cat toy - you know the moment I mean

** edited for quote by me (Tarma) to reply below

I finally had an opportunity to watch the movie last night. I loved it! I'd stuck it in the player the night I received it, and started watching all the extra stuff. Since I'd read the Screenplay already, I knew the story, and I wanted to have some explanations as to 'why' certain things were done! Very happily, almost everything I felt a bit (or a lot) iffy about was explained, sometimes in great detail. Oh. Well. J.K. Rowling really did have a whole world created! An absolutely huge backstory that she was finally able to show, at least in parts, to people. The thing about Nagini, though, that was sad. I don't know if she knew, at the time, how very sad it was, and would be.

Yes, I was noticing, during the film, how tall 'Newt' is, in comparison to so many other of the characters. But I also notice how he 'holds' himself, sort of ducking, to not stand out. Superb acting!

Favorite moments, for me, of course includes the BABY NIFFLERS! That clicking of the light, at the beginning. Newt doesn't think, necessarily, it's a burglar but he IS cautious and deservedly so! Then the whole expansion of Newt's suitcase - wow. Even more territories for more wonderful creatures.

The Zouwu ... so much detail was gone into, in the extras, about the new creatures brought in. I did love that cat toy! (And I loved how Tina used it, towards the end. Cautiously and, I think, very bravely!

Salamander eyes! *rotfl* Thing is, SHE got it. And that's a lot more important than Jacob 'getting it'.

All the beasts. Whether a brief look at them or a lot of time spent on them -- they are great. :D

Grindelwald is such a sociopath (as mentioned in the extras). The explanations of how and why Grindelwald is that way (in the extras) are very interesting. A quick Google search shows
Profile of the Sociopath
Glibness and Superficial Charm.
Manipulative and Conning. They see their self-serving behaviors as permissible. ...
Grandiose Sense of Self. ...
Pathological Lying. ...
Lack of Remorse, Shame or Guilt. ...
Shallow Emotions. ...
Need for Stimulation.

Grindelwald to a 'T'.

I wonder ... was he that way when he met Albus Dumbledore? Did he recognize Dumbledore as someone he would not be able to easily defeat in combat, so attempted to control him in other ways?

And ... to me very important ... did Leta Lestrange really die? I watched that part of the movie closely. I need to watch it again. Did she disapparate or dissolve/dead?

There are a lot of unanswered questions which I want answers to. :ph34r:
Annabella Grinaldi
No broom

Post by Annabella Grinaldi »

I am not gonna lie I saw the movie the night it came out and I will tell you it did not disappoint me in the slightest. The acting in it was phenomenal. Eddie and Johnny shined but the supporting cast was incredible and I am in love. The creatures were better than ever. There were two major storylines that left me with many questions that I hope to see explored in more detail. I respect J.K. Rowling's request to protect the secrets and I always will but I highly recommend this must see to everyone.

Return to “Fantastic Beasts”