HP - Told from a Different Point of View

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

HP - Told from a Different Point of View

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

What do you think the Harry Potter books would be like, if they were written by Hermione Granger, or Ron Weasley, or some other person who is fairly close to Harry? Would they focus on Harry Potter, or on the events, or on how that person (whoever is writing it) was affected by the events -- and how they affect the events.

Or -- if it was specifically focused on Harry Potter, how would the books be different? Would Ron Weasley have written the shortest book ever, with all seven years bunched up into one book the length of Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone? Would Hermione Granger end up writing something which was about 30 volumes long, with cross-references and quotations from all kinds of sources?

What would Professor McGonagall have written - or Professor Snape?

Please keep your posts HOL-appropriate. If you put graphics in the post, please keep them to 600x600 or less (and give credit where credit is due).
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Shiloh Adlar
Cleansweep One

Re: HP - Told from a Different Point of View

Post by Shiloh Adlar »

I definitely agree with your assumptions on the length of the books/book in the case of Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley. I think I would really like to see the story told from Professor Snape's point of view. He became one of my favorite characters in Deathly Hallows, but I had always been interested by him since the beginning and wondering why he hated Harry so much. We got glimpses of his story in the finality of the series, but I would have loved to know the conversations that he had with Professor Dumbledore during Harry's time at the school.

I also think the point of view of Albus Dumbledore would be an interesting read as well. Imagine all the knowledge he would put in there for us with life lessons and beautiful quotes that he always told Harry. I'm sure they would be filled with a lot of curiosities as well such as his interesting sayings at the opening feasts like "Tuck in."
Shiloh Adlar, Seventh Year
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

I started wondering what would happen if the story was told by someone who isn't regarded as a major character in the stories -- someone of importance but not someone a person would list as critical to the story. Then I wondered about a whole different point of view ...

How would it be if told by Narcissa Malfoy? That would definitely be a story from a different point of view and I think it could actually end up being more terrifying than one told by a denizen of Hogwarts castle. She was never a Death Eater like her sister, Bellatrix. Yes, she was of a family of pure-blood wizards, but I don't think that she looked down upon the half-bloods quite like Bellatrix did. Probably she'd be rather happy with her life ... until Voldemort was known to be back.

But imagine having Voldemort choose your family home as his 'headquarters'. I think her whole life was one of terror from the time of the Tri-Wizard Tournament conclusion to the Battle of Hogwarts finale.
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Silas Hipolito Crist
No broom

Post by Silas Hipolito Crist »

Such a great ideas for the story; it is really strange to imagine what would story look like from another view. I would be grateful if it would be told by Albus Dumbledore so it would be known how many things Albus knew ( for example Philosopher stone when he knew much more, but still let Harry to do the thing). Oh, forgot about his history- meetings with Voldemort and what was he feeling during Voldemort's years on Hogwarts. Then about not so important things like summer holidays; can not imagine Dumbledore on the beach. And then how had he chosen Gilderoy Lockhart and so on.
Also his actions while working and establishing Fenix order. Harry was mostly not a part of it and he knew much less than we wanted to.

Another person that I would be glad to hear story from is Minerva McGonagall. She was always close to Dumbledore and she knew many things. Then she was also part of Phoenix Order and for some time even leader of Hogwarts.
Prof. Kendra Givens
Silver Arrow

Post by Prof. Kendra Givens »

My second read through of the series, particularly having just finished Deathly Hallows, made me think A LOT about the strength of Neville's character, especially toward the end. We know he's the only other person that the prophecy could have been about. Neville's parents were driven to insanity based on torture from the Death Eaters. His life experience left him with likely just as much hatred toward Voldemort and the Death Eaters as Harry had, if not more.

Yet we never know what's going through Neville's mind. He's depicted as a shy, gently, simple character until the Battle of Hogwarts begins, and then suddenly he proves himself to be an integral part of the battle, leading Dumbledore's Army members and assisting others in the fight within the castle grounds while the others are away hunting horcruxes. He manages to summon the sword of Gryffindor and chop off Nagini's head while being burned alive at the hands of Voldemort, after directly speaking out against Voldemort a few times.

I do wonder what the story looked like from Neville's own perspective. What was his life really like? What made him grow so much stronger in the end than he seemed at the beginning - or was he really that strong all along?
Emily Spencer
Comet 180

Post by Emily Spencer »

Giving it some thought, I think it would be rather interesting to see the story told through the eyes of Draco Malfoy. In the books, as written, he comes off as a self-entitled, cowardly git. And yet, I've always gotten the feeling that there's a lot more to his story.

For example, from the very beginning you almost get the sense that Draco has the potential to be an abused child. While he clearly idolizes his father, he also fears him. Lucius is rather cold toward him in the shop, and his "Touch nothing, Draco!" remains one of the most disturbing parts of that book (to me). It would be interesting to see how Draco really feels about things such as purebloods, Death Eaters and the like. Is he of the same ilk, or is he merely going along with it to appease/impress his father.

How, for instance, does he really feel about Hermione Granger? Or Harry Potter, for that matter. And what was going through his mind as he was ordered to kill Albus Dumbledore? Did he ever manage to break free from his family's influence and what was his life like after that day? I think it would be awesome to know.
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who’s going to stop me.”
Head Student/Slytherin Prefect/Student Teacher/Library & Book Club Head
Prof. Maxim Trevelyan
Nimbus 1000

Post by Prof. Maxim Trevelyan »

This is an interesting question that I cannot help but think about sometimes when I read the books. As I was re-reading the Order of the Phoenix over the summer, I wondered how Dolores Umbridge looked on her time at Hogwarts.

I am a sucker for adult-POV in Harry Potter series, since Harry is a rather an unreliable narrator. The books are viewed through his eyes and the world is colored in a certain way. I would love to see how an adult character (either staff member at Hogwarts or just someone in the Wizarding World) would perceive the story. What would they think about the Triwizard Tournament, or if I go back to my book, about Ministry changes at Hogwarts?

I think it would be fascinating to read the Order of the Phoenix from Umbridge’s point of view. What did she do before being appointed at Hogwarts staff? What did she do in the times we did not see her (try to) rule Hogwarts with an iron fist. Why did she act the way she did?

I love to hate Umbridge, so it would be curious to see the human behind the façade, if there is one to be seen.
...also a platonic soulmate and a hot mess of a human being.

Return to “Between the Pages”