Discussion #3 - Intelligence

Class led by Prof. Gustavo Flores

Moderator: Prof. Gustavo Flores

Prof. Gustavo Flores
Silver Arrow

Discussion #3 - Intelligence

Post by Prof. Gustavo Flores »

Dear students,
Here you can post your results of the intelligence test. Remember it is worth 10 points of your Assignnment 3:

Taken from the website:

When you are done, head to our Class Forum (Click to go to the forum) and share your results with the rest of the class. Comment them answering the following questions:

*Which was the type of intelligence that you got?
*Do you agree or disagree with your results? Why?
* Which are the aspects of YOUR intelligence type you feel the most comfortable with?
* Look at the suggested careers that your type of intelligence has. Do you like them or not? Which one is your favorite? Are you willing to research more about the other careers or not?
* Any other thought that you wish to share with us is very welcome!

​IMPORTANT: Please justify your answers and make your post is at least 100 words long if you want to receive your complete 10 points. Thanks!
Prof. Will Lestrange
Shooting Star

Re: Discussion #3 - Intelligence

Post by Prof. Will Lestrange »

Just as last time, I took the test two times: in character and out of character; however, I ended up with different results each time.

In character, I ended up as Morally Smart (featuring Existential Intelligence) as my primary intelligence. Looking at the lesson, I had associated that type of intelligence more with people like Albus Dumbledore - who tend to coopt others' autonomy for what they view as the 'greater good'. As a Lestrange, I was naturally raised to believe that any association with that particular former Headmaster was to be avoided! Looking at the description, I saw a mix of things that fit me and things that didn't fit me: "mulling over deep moral thoughts" (yes, I do that, but don't see that as anything that defines me), "particularly aware of their own existence" (well, that fits me), and Nietzsche as an idol (what I know of the philosopher suggests that he doesn't believe in objective truth - and I feel that's a bit extreme). But "ruthless deep thinker" makes sense for me ('ruthless' is a proud Lestrange family trait, after all!), as does sensitivity to the significance of things - though I'm not sure I'm really isolated from the world around me! The careers listed sound a bit isolated from my skill set: from what I know of aurologists, it seems they just make up whatever they want and claim they were guided by some sort of 'aura'. That said, the other profession listed: Seer - actually sounds like something I have an aptitude for, especially in light of the Divination OWL I just took (where I received not only an Outstanding, but special mention for writing the Top Parchment in my year on the subject!) I don't think that it's the right profession for me, but I feel that my "Inner Eye" (as the Trelawney family has traditionally referred to it) can help me in other professions! For example, if I wished to be an Unspeakable, having insight into the future would help me analyze the foundations of magic. And if I wished to play Quidditch, being able to foresee the future would help me prepare appropriate techniques for myself and my teammates!

Out of character, I ended up as Number/Reasoning Smart (Logical/Mathematical Intelligence). The descriptions all sound like "things that fit me, but don't really define me": solving complex computations (sounds like what I was trained to do!), likes conducting scientific experiments (experimenting and science are both fun), enjoys thinking about abstract ideas (trained as a professional mathematician, I pretty much have to!), and excellent problem-solving skills (which I definitely also have). Albert Einstein isn't a real fit for me for an idol, though I've heard the comparisons (but then again, I always felt that Slytherin traits defined me more than Ravenclaw traits did!) The Wizarding jobs given: arithmancer, alchemist, and desk job at Gringotts, sound like "things that could be fun but would ultimately leave me unsatisfied" though I think that I could make Gringotts work pretty well (and I could be an Arithmancer if my results actually had some practical application!) As for the Muggle jobs, they fit my out-of-character life better: "mathematician" and "programmer" fit how I was trained, and "scientist" is close... though "detective" seems to rely on other intelligences which may not fit as well.

The biggest surprise to me was that I got different results in-character and out of character (in fact, I was expecting to get Number/Reasoning Smart in character as well!). This can be explained, though, by two things: the descriptions of the two intelligences both seem fairly close (using thought as a means to achieve an end) and, more importantly, the site doesn't give percentage breakdowns so we don't really know how dominant our primary intelligence is... or if another intelligence is almost primary. It is very possible that in character, Number/Reasoning Smart was a very close second to Morally Smart (which would fit with my proclivity for logic puzzles); a mixture of the two types of intelligences does sound like a good fit for me!
Scarlett Lacarnum
No broom

Post by Scarlett Lacarnum »

I took this quiz twice but it was because I felt there were two or three questions where two of the choices fit. Both times I ended up with Linguistic Intelligence also known as Word Smart. When reading through the lesson I felt there were a few possibilities for the type of intelligence I would have, this being one of them. In that sense I have to agree with my results. People who are word smart are "good at remembering written and spoken information." I definitely agree with being able to remember written information but I'm not so adept at remembering things that are spoken. Word smart means you should be good with debating and being persuasive. If I am grading myself I would not give me any high marks here. The jury is still out on this aspect. I do think I am able to explain things well and find the right words to say. This comes from reading a lot and absorbing new vocabulary words. One of the other characteristics is using humor when telling stories. I do like to use humor and sarcasm. Two hobbies of mine are reading and writing, which is also attributed to being word smart. Of all these characteristics I am most comfortable with explaining myself and explaining other things to people. Also, I am comfortable with reading, writing and memory. M

The suggested career for Linguistic Intelligence are author, journalist and poet. Honestly I would be fine and happy with any of these three careers. My first choice would be author because I could write all the time about fiction AND non-fiction.

It is good to know that this is my primary intelligence but I know that this one area is not all of me. I think the only one I would greatly struggle with is musical intelligence. Overall this lesson and the quiz were interesting and enlightening.
Prof. Maxim Trevelyan
Nimbus 1000

Post by Prof. Maxim Trevelyan »

My type of intelligence is interpersonal intelligence or being people smart. I think I agree with the results, though I have to admit I expected the 'body smart' intelligence more. A lot of questions that were asked did not provide the answers that I would actually click (for example, I actually do none of the things listed while waiting at the hairdresser's), so I had to choose the hypothetical or something I do, but not most often. If my actual answers were provided, I wonder if I would still get the same result.

Like, I said, I like the results, since I think it describes my personality when it comes to social interactions quite nicely. Ever since I was a child, I had the innate ability to 'see' the people or rather their intentions, so I guess this is rather a more developed gut feeling? I also like to play the Devil's advocate, or what the description of the type says 'entertain multiple perspectives', which is perhaps also the aspect of my intelligence type that I feel most comfortable in, despite it bringing me a lot of grief with my friends and colleagues over the years.

As for the suggested careers for my type, that depends. For 'muggle' careers, it gave me a counselor, priest, personal coach and child carer. In the previous discussion, I mentioned how I entertained the idea of being a counselor, but ultimately, I did not go for it. I do not like the other careers though.

Wizarding professions though, now those are more in line with my interests, especially the Professor one, which I am striving for. Other suggested professions, like Headmaster, Actor and Caretaker also hold some appeal, but not as much as a Professor. I would do some further research on them, maybe later in my career.
...also a platonic soulmate and a hot mess of a human being.
Arlynn Cassidy
No broom

Post by Arlynn Cassidy »

My test results concluded that my type of intelligence is linguistic intelligence. Although I had seen certain aspects in the description of other types of intelligence I must admit Linguistic intelligence does fit me closest. I am not too sure about understanding complex meanings, and I could use with studying grammar more, but the rest does fit me more or less. However, I must protest my ability in debating and I am well aware that I do forget things quite often. On the otherhand I have found a passion for reading since I first started. Reading opens up doors to countless worlds that have touched my heart. I have also found an interest in writing, though mostly my plots remain buried within myself. I have not yet found the key to put them into the world.
The careers listed are journalist, author, and poet. I am not interested in becoming a journalist. It just not inspire me. I am not too sure about becoming a poet, I mainly do stories, but I would not oppose to doing research. As for author, I have indeed researched it and would not mind an attempt.
Prof. Astrid Black
No broom

Post by Prof. Astrid Black »

I got Music Smart. I completely agree with this. Music is the sound to which my heart beats to. I love it. My best stories come from concerts passed. I have near 3,000 songs on my phone with music ranging from Japanese to Celtic to Wizard Rock. It’s all over the place because there are emotions behind the songs that speak to me. Music is one of the few things that transcends language barriers and connects people all over the globe. It’s tied to so much of my life.

I’m comfortable with all of my intelligence type. Music has been such a huge piece of my core personality that there is nothing about it that I’m uncomfortable with….well maybe composing but it’s quite hard to write sheet music!

I like the careers my intelligence has. Vocalist is my favorite of the career options. I love to sing and am good at it. I’m more than willing to look further into the other careers too. I know I’d be happiest as a Vocalist though.

Return to “Career Advice”