Personality Test!

Discussions about your interests outside of HOL

Moderator: Prefects

Prof. Kendra Givens
Silver Arrow

Personality Test!

Post by Prof. Kendra Givens »

How many of you have taken the Meyers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) personality inventory? The test was developed based on psychologist Carl Jung’s theory on personality and behavior. The test is a series of questions about your perceptions and interactions with the world around you. At the end of the assessment, you are given a 4 letter personality indicator. There are 16 different combinations possible. The letters are as follows:

E/I = Extroverted or Introverted
S/N = Sensing or Intuition
T/F = Thinking or Feeling
J/P = Judging or Perceiving

You can take the Meyers-Briggs test and read an interpretation of what it means (in the personality tab) for free here:
https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test

You can read more about Carl Jung's theory of personality here:
https://iiteeeestudents.wordpress.com/2 ... carl-jung/

My question to you is…what result did you get? Do you agree with the results? Why or why not? My goal is to see if we as people - Harry Potter fans, members of the HOL community - have more similarities than we do differences OR if we're a good mix and our differences are what make this community amazing.
Last edited by Prof. Kendra Givens on Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:59 am, edited 5 times in total.
Shiloh Adlar
Cleansweep One

Re: Personality Test!

Post by Shiloh Adlar »

I had to take this test for Careers Advice, and it was definitely interesting in learning about myself. I actually had to take this test a few times, and it doesn't seem as much has changed over the years, as my personality has always been INFJ.

I definitely think this personality suits me, and this quote from the site says it perfectly well, "INFJs tend to see helping others as their purpose in life, but while people with this personality type can be found engaging rescue efforts and doing charity work, their real passion is to get to the heart of the issue so that people need not be rescued at all."

I do quite a bit of volunteer work within the medical field, and my dream job is to be an epidemiologist. Once I get my degree, I would love to travel to other countries where disease epidemics are high. My goal is to find some sort of cure for those diseases or to find ways to prevent them from spreading or from people coming into contact with them in the first place.

I also find that I tend to care for other people so much that I neglect caring for myself at times, one of the warnings that this type has in the description. I am also very sensitive and do get upset if I know people are talking badly about me or I feel as if I'm being criticized for doing something wrong, and though people will never see me lash out, I have been known to be very reckless on my own which doesn't help the situation at all.

One last thing, this quote here, "they tend to believe that nothing would help the world so much as using love and compassion to soften the hearts of tyrants." If this doesn't sound like me, I don't know what does. All I talk about is love and compassion for others, even those that tend to not be the best sorts of people. I really do believe that spreading loving will make the world a better place.
Shiloh Adlar, Seventh Year
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire
Kaitlyn Nightingale
No broom

Post by Kaitlyn Nightingale »

I've always loved personality tests! In the past 7ish years(=my teens), I watched myself go from a pure melancholic to being choleric for a short period until I finally settled at phlegmatic (sorry if I spelled these wrong). That fits, although I'm close to the middle, not extremely phlegmatic.

I like that the MB test goes more into depth. My results from today are INTP, exactly as I anticipated - except for that little -T part at the ending that this test gave me, I kind of thought I was more assertive... However, I knew that I'd done this test before so I searched for the email with my results and I learned that since June 2015 my results... haven't changed! Still INTP-T! Now, I was already quite phlegmatic at the time so maybe it would've been different if I'd taken the test earlier. But either way, I think this validates the results. I don't understand how the test works as well as I'd like to, but it seems that my percentages of INTP have raised, setting me in the position more securely. Why I got N, P, and -T the previous time when I had just over 30%? I don't know, must be the mechanics of the test. But the results make a lot of sense.
Hufflepuff | 4th Year | Spiffy
Shadow Gaunt
Oakshaft 79

Post by Shadow Gaunt »

I have taken the personality test in Career Advice. However, I took it half a year ago, in September (even though I posted later). I got ENTP, and with over 10 replies only 4 people were Extroverts. That is something I have noticed. In HOL many are introverts and like to take a break from people. It's quite understandable considering what HOL is, the Harry Potter fandom, etc.

I just took it again and I got ENTP-T again.

The thing is is that is says ENTPs are brutally honest: IM NOT.
Shadow Gaunt
"In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes."-Benjamin Franklin
Prof. Alexander Brighton
Moontrimmer

Post by Prof. Alexander Brighton »

I took the personality test out of curiosity. My personality type is the Mediator, like the name. Also known as infp-t.

I agree with some of it. It says that I am mostly introverted. I don't like talking to people i don't know, get anxious (unless it's on HOL) I'm not a fan of social events and don't do that well in social situations. Don't like to be the center of attention with everyone looking at me. So I would say that's pretty accurate. It says I direct my energy towards being intuitive, I would say that's somewhat true. I'm not very observant unless it's to do with something I like, i will usually notice it right away. The test says I am caring, but have a harder time controlling my emotions. I would say that is true. I care about others a lot and often afraid of what they may think and how they feel. I don't like it when people feel bad. When someone is angry and there's a lot of tension, i will often sense that tension. I like to make people happy. Afraid of getting into trouble. My mind often wanders, a bit like a boys version of Luna Lovegood. I get disappointed easily and i'll admit, get mad easily. But I also get excited easily too. The test also says I don't judge which is true. I never judge others, people are fighting their own battles and Ie don't know what they might be going through to make them act like they are. So all in all, I say it's accurate. It's interesting to see how the test relates to different people.
Emanuel Hines
No broom

Post by Emanuel Hines »

I have done the personality test right now, and I can say that was really interesting for me.
I expected most of the results which came from it; I do agree that I am introverted in most of the situation. Getting intuitive more than observant was a little surprise for me, but I can accept it. My nature results were very close to each other and I still can not decide which one is more for me (thinking or feeling)- I do think that it is various in different situations.
At tactics I have got judging much more than prospecting, but this was expected and I totally agree with it. And the last category, I am much less assertive than turbulent- I do agree with this too.
It was really interesting to see my personality on the paper (computer screen).
Vanessa Tilley
Silver Arrow

Post by Vanessa Tilley »

I have taken the Myer Briggs personality test numerous times since high school and I also have the same result INFP-T aka The Mediator. I am pretty happy that my results have always been consistent because I truly believe this is my personality type.

I have never liked conflict and when a conflict situation arises I do always try to settle the dispute with as little to no damage as possible especially in terms of other people's feelings. I have always believed there is good in every one because that is what my mother taught me and I hold on to the hope even when it is hard with everything you read and hear going on in the world especially now.

I do believe my husband and mother would gladly tell people that I am led by my intent and not by rewards or punishments. I always try to do the right thing such as helping someone pay for a bill to get their pets what they needed, I worked at a veterinary clinic for 5 years, knowing that my boss and the company would get mad at me. I was even written up over it once but I didn't care. People who are just trying to do the right thing shouldn't be punished if they can't afford it.

I will definitely say that fantasy and fictional worlds do fascinate me. I like to think I have a pretty good imagination and I love to let it run free. I also believe this helps with my creativity and art projects. My goal and hope in life is that I am able to bring a little beauty into this world through my art.

It also mentions that Meditators have a gift with languages and I would have to agree. I have always found learning a new language comes pretty easily if I put in the time to practice. My teachers and professors would often be surprised and remarked on how well I picked up the grammar portions of other languages so quickly.

Finally, I do have to say that I have entered the hermit mode that mediators can fall into when they take themselves away from so many people and just focus on a select few. I have never been able to be in large group settings and I only ever had a handful of friends in school.

So, there you go. I believe that I am a mediator and I am surprised that I learned some new things when I got the results for this test.

Siggy and avatar made by the wonderful Professor Scarlet for Slythmas! :wub:
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

I ended up with the same thing I've received before - INFJ (a).

I looked up the Harry Potter chart for this test and that is Remus Lupin. Awesome. If I'd not chosen 'Black' as a last name here, I'd have chosen 'Lupin'. It is good to feel I would be part of his familly. :)
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Shadow Gaunt
Oakshaft 79

Post by Shadow Gaunt »

So I found something which I would like to post here.

Each personality type corresponds to a combination of Hogwarts houses.

ISTP-Ravenclaw/Gryffindor
ESTP-Gryffindor/Slytherin
ISTJ-Hufflepuff/Ravenclaw
ESTJ-Slytherin/Ravenclaw
INTP-Ravenclaw/Slytherin
ENTP-Slytherin/Gryffindor
INTJ-Slytherin
ENTJ-Ravenclaw
ISFP-Gryffindor/Ravenclaw
ESFP-Slytherin/Hufflepuff
ISFJ-Hufflepuff
ESFJ-Hufflepuff/Slytherin
INFJ-Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
ENFJ-Gryffindor
INFP-Hufflepuff/Gryffindor
ENFP-Gryffindor/Hufflepuff
Shadow Gaunt
"In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes."-Benjamin Franklin
Prof. Sky Alton
Twigger 90

Post by Prof. Sky Alton »

Essay ahead, sorry!

I’ve taken the test twice: once when I was 18 and once when I was 21 (just now). I wasn’t expecting much to have changed in 3 years but I’ve actually switched types.

I used to be ISFP (the explorer) and am now INFP (the mediator). I actually see myself in both to varying extents: INFP feels more of a ‘complete’ overview of my personality and motivations, with ISFP only really reflecting my creative side (and my negative qualities like temper and egoism). Interestingly, I was overwhelmingly turbulent in both cases (96 % for this latest one)

ISFP qualities that speak to me:
Their tendency to push boundaries notwithstanding, ISFPs are sensitive to others’ feelings and value harmony highly. When faced with criticism, it can be a challenge for ISFPs to step away from the moment long enough to not get caught up in a bout of name-calling.
If their goals and principles are good and noble, ISFPs can act with amazing charity and selflessness, inspiring others to do good as well. But it can also happen that ISFPs will establish a more self-centered identity, in which case they can act with selfishness, connivance and egoism.
INFP qualities that speak to me (basically the entire thing…oops):
Mediator personalities are true idealists, always looking for the hint of good in even the worst of people and events, searching for ways to make things better. While they may be perceived as calm, reserved, or even shy, Mediators have an inner flame and passion that can truly shine.
At their best, these qualities enable Mediators to communicate deeply with others, easily speaking in metaphors and parables, and understanding and creating symbols to share their ideas. Fantasy worlds in particular fascinate Mediators, more than any other personality type. The strength of their visionary communication style lends itself well to creative works, and it comes as no surprise that many famous Mediators are poets, writers and actors. Understanding themselves and their place in the world is important to Mediators, and they explore these ideas by projecting themselves into their work.
Unlike their Extraverted cousins though, Mediators will focus their attention on just a few people, a single worthy cause – spread too thinly, they’ll run out of energy, and even become dejected and overwhelmed by all the bad in the world that they can’t fix.
It’s often a risk to break away into something less dependable, but more rewarding. To find a career that resonates with Mediators’ values though, that’s more than just a job, sometimes it’s just what needs to be done.
(A million times this. I’m still dealing with the fall out from my decision to pursue writing instead of something like law)

Also, the mediator personality included the ‘All that is gold does not glitter…’ poem from LOTR so I’m still grinning. Unlike Nessa though, unfortunately the language thing does not apply to me! I'm still terrible with anything that isn't English. :P
"Growing up doesn't have to mean I lose the cape, the faith, the dream. I'm so done with that... I'm taking it back."
(Av/sig by S. Elf)
February Fortescue
Cleansweep One

Post by February Fortescue »

I'm most assuredly an INFJ.
I like the traits listed on this website, and think they generally apply:

Seeks harmony and cooperation
Enjoys intellectual stimulation
Always comes up with large-scale ideas
Prefers to be alone
Describes things in a poetic way
Avoids being the centre of attention
Values forgiveness
Always sticks to deadlines
Hates confrontation
Prefers step-by-step instructions
Likes to plans ahead
Relishes in pleasing people
Enjoys ideas for the sake of them
Always looks at the bigger picture
Overthinks almost everything
Keeps things private

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 81631.html

Two of our quirks: despite being Introverts, other people tend to view us an Extroverts. And as much as we dislike confrontation, we often have very strong opinions and can be quite willful.
superb sig by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
No matter where you go, there you are.
Avalon Rosenberg
No broom

Post by Avalon Rosenberg »

I am a one hundred percent INTP (like Hermione - maybe that’s why I can relate to and understand her personality so much). I used to be a ISTJ (like Severus Snape haha...can’t relate to him at all), but that was 2 years ago, and since taking the test again, it seems my personality has shifted...intriguing. :)

https://www.16personalities.com/intp-personality
Iverian Gnash
Cleansweep One

Post by Iverian Gnash »

Just took the personality test and got INTP - T which means my personality type is 'The Logician'.

The definition I found was this: The INTP is deep, private, difficult to know and extremely independent. They focus on things that interest them most putting off completing tasks until the last minute as the routine bores them. INTPs love logic and an indicator of being an INTP is an obsession with logical correctness. An INTP will struggle with emotion, great at reading situations but less good at reading people.

A few stats:
Individual traits: Introverted – 57%, Intuitive – 70%, Thinking – 53%, Prospecting – 51%, Turbulent – 78%
Role: Analyst
Strategy: Constant Improvement

Last time I took the test a few years ago, I think I was about the same, though one of my letters may have been changed. A bit surprised to be more introverted than extroverted, but I guess a lot has changed and I am a bit more now. Logicians make up about 3% of the population.

Strengths: Great Analysts and Abstract Thinkers, Imaginative and Original, Open-Minded, Enthusiastic, Objective, Honest and Straightforward

Weaknesses: Very Private and Withdrawn, Insensitive, Absent-minded, Condescending, Loathe Rules and Guidelines, Second-Guess Themselves

https://www.16personalities.com/intp-personality
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. - Dalai Lama
Adaleine Shuster

Post by Adaleine Shuster »

I took the test and got ISTP - T.

Type: Turbulent Virtuoso
Role: Explorer
Strategy: Constant Improvement
69% Introverted
51% Observant
67% Thinking
56% Prospecting
79% Turbulent

Strengths: Optimistic, energetic, creative, practical, spontaneous, rational, know how to prioritize, great in a crisis, relaxed
Weaknesses: Stubborn, insensitive, private, reserved, easily bored, dislike commitment, risky behavior

Return to “Discussions”