Sabriel, Chapters 8-15

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Sky Alton
Twigger 90

Sabriel, Chapters 8-15

Post by Prof. Sky Alton »

Welcome to our discussion post for chapters 8-15 of Sabriel. If you haven’t read this far yet, never fear, this post will be waiting for you once you have.

We’re introduced to several types of powerful magic in these chapters. Which one appealed to you? Or contrastingly, which disconcerted you? Do you think the magic systems of The Old Kingdom are plausible?

Please don’t forget the powerful protective magic of spoiler tags. Use them!
"Growing up doesn't have to mean I lose the cape, the faith, the dream. I'm so done with that... I'm taking it back."
(Av/sig by S. Elf)
Robin Blackwood

Re: Sabriel, Chapters 8-15

Post by Robin Blackwood »

Eight chapter was the most interesting chapter until now; it was full of different surprises and amazing introduction of strange life-style. Many things were explained; about Abhorsens' family and life goals.
The cat's character is quite mysterious, but very interesting. Seeing him calm and with sense of humor all the time, altough Abhorsens's house is occupied with death. Flood was really brutal and I expected that Sabriel would reject this; but she did not.
Raven's attack was expected, but it was very touching when Sabriel released the cat and he helped her. Author did great thing in chapter twelve; I also thought that this was the end of Moget, the cat. Seeing him in the worst station and trying to kill Sabriel was horrible.
I can say that my reading was very quick during reading Sabriel; chapters are not too long or too short. They are divided as they should be and they usually end when something important happens. I like the style of writing; author has good vocabulary, which is perfect for readers. Most of the sentences are very interesting, even if there is just ordinary description happening.
Elizabeth Mayes
No broom

Post by Elizabeth Mayes »

I found this next set of chapters really interesting. I was loving the book from the beginning, but these chapters added whole new depth and seriousness to the book. Everything seems to be getting a lot darker and more dangerous.

I thought the situation with Mogget being freed was very interesting. I was worried that would be the end of Sabriel journey with him and was happy she was able to use the ring to bind him again. I think it'll be interesting to learn more about what happened in the past and why Mogget is the way he is. I've always loved anything historical, even when it's from a fictional book.

I'm also really glad to see the introduction of someone new and think Touchstone will have an interesting back story. Introducing his character really provided a lot of information about the Old Kingdom while simultaneously making us realize just how much there is to the story and how little we know about it.

I think the magic system is very interesting. It's kind of scary that necromancer's seem like they are super common. So far most of the magic we've seen has been for evil things. It makes me wonder if magic in this world is really worth having.

It'll be interesting to see how this story progresses. I hope we get a lot of historical background for what's happening.
"I was born with a reading list I will never finish." - Maud Casey

Ascended Warrior Vin by axt234
Prof. Gustavo Flores
Silver Arrow

Post by Prof. Gustavo Flores »

I have to agree with all of you so far! It is truth that the story, in deed, got better!

First of all, I have to say that I’m very grateful that Sabriel finally got herself a companion. I think the story pretty much needed that, and for me, the introduction Mogget made the story much better. I am still figuring out if I like him or not LOL, but I like the fact that he is presented as a cat, and truth is that he is also funny Still I would love to know more about him and his true identity.Like Elizabeth, I found the wholeMogget situation very interesting .To see how he transformed…I never expected that, and I have to agree that was a very interesting chapter, and I’m just so happy that we still have Mogget around.

Regarding the magic, I finally managed to understand it better, specially the charter marks. It seems like a more complex form of magic or at least more difficult to cast since it requires plenty of concentration and will. Thanks to this passages, I figured the magic better, and helped me to picture it better in my mind:

“The Charter Marks felt clumsy and difficult in her head, as if she were trying to push a heavy weight on badly made rollers the, with a last effort, they came easily, flowing into her whistled notes”
And
“It was an effort to call up the Charter Marks again, and whistle the spell to ease the wind, and turn it back to the east, but Sabriel managed to cast it”

Also, regarding magic, I liked the magic ring that transformed into a hoop, but still I would have liked more that it transforms into something Sabriel decides, and not automatically.That would have given more strength to Sabriel’s character (like she doesn’t only receives the tool but she has to decide what to do with, what to transform it. Think about the wand, which more than a tool, the witch or wizard has to decide what spell to use, so, so far I like magic wands more!)

Finally I’m also intrigued by Touchstone. I think it was a good addition to the story.

Sorry for all the spoilers, but I couldn't help it. I'm liking the story! :)
Katelin Ross
Oakshaft 79

Post by Katelin Ross »

I guess I am one of few who do not think this book has gotten better. I am going to be truthful is saying that I am finding it hard to finish this book. I have not made a connection with Sabriel, nor the other characters/companions/whoever the creatures are on whatever page I'm reading. Tarma is cheering me on to finish this novel, so I hope I find the drive to finish it. I have so many other books I want to read, so we shall see.

Thank you to my Secret Santa 2018 for the wonderful signature and avatar!!
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

Using time turner, because I've finished the story now ...

So, I am slogging through the first chapters of Sabriel, determined to continue on because I told Sky I'd read it.

In the end of chapter 7, we meet a cat. The story immediately livens up, because, you know, 'cat'. Some bits of magic start showing up which seem more plausible to me! Sabriel becomes more 'real' to me, too as she interacts with creatures of magic. She also meets another person who is seemingly of 'her' world, and is somehow of magic (Touchstone). But there are mysteries there ...
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

Return to “Book Teasers”