Sims 3

Moderator: Prefects

Prof. Rorey Padfoot
Cleansweep Three

Post by Prof. Rorey Padfoot »

So I admit it I've been scarce around HOL for a bit, because Sims 3 has come out and I've been playing it. Anyone else have it? I know we had some Sims 2 fans for a bit, just wondering if anyone made the jump over to Sims 3? What do you like/dislike about it? So far I'm loving it. It's basic right now, so I'm of course waiting for more stuff to upload into the game, but I am really enjoying it so far.
~Prof. Rorey Padfoot~*~Ravenclaw~
Prof. Ashlee Sully
Moontrimmer

Post by Prof. Ashlee Sully »

I went and got it the day it came out. I haven't been playing it as much as I thought I would. I'm not sure if that's because I've been busy doing other things or if I just don't like it THAT much. I really miss a lot of the items in the Sims 2 and the interactions. In the Sims 3 I find it really hard to turn a friendship into a relationship!

Other than that I love Create-a-Sim but not the faces so much; love Creae-a-Style, the open neighbourhood and the job opportunities.
Retired Slytherin Professor || Lover of Chocolate || Addicted to Frogs

Ezra Dobbins
No broom

Post by Ezra Dobbins »

I plan on buying this game real soon as I am a big sims fan. I love the idea of custom styles.
Jediah Stone
No broom

Post by Jediah Stone »

The Sims 3 game is sooo addicting! I love it so far. I really like how it is so easy to travel throughout the town. I also love all the new design choices in the game. The Career options are also very cool. It seems like they made the sims in this game more realistic. The only thing I miss from the Sims 2 game is the Open for Business expansion pack, but I'm sure they will have one for the Sims 3 pretty soon.
Colm Scar
No broom

Post by Colm Scar »

OMG Its So Good But My Computer Keeps On Freezing So I Have To Completely Turn It Off.
I Love The Create A Sim And The Fact That You Can Tell Your Sims What Do At Work Or School.
The Traits Are Cool And So Is That A Load Of Other Ideas From Sims 1 And 2 Are Part Of This Game.
Its One Of My Favourite Computer Games But Since I Started Hol Again I Have Been Playing It A Lot Less.
I Dont Like The Save File Thing And I Still Think That Sims 2 Has Some Better Points.
Hufflepuff Rocks.
Go Badgers!!!
Jinxy Jo
No broom

Post by Jinxy Jo »

I'm not sure if I want to buy it. I don't really play my Sims 2 that much so I might wait until the Sims 3 is reduced in price. Another reason is my laptop won't handle it. So I'd have to use my dads laptop.

I've heard that you have to buy extra clothing and stuff from the site?
If I should become a stranger, you know that it would make me more than sad (8)
Morgan Maddock

Post by Morgan Maddock »

Jinxy Jo wrote:QUOTE (Jinxy Jo @ Aug 8 2009, 11:56 AM) I'm not sure if I want to buy it. I don't really play my Sims 2 that much so I might wait until the Sims 3 is reduced in price. Another reason is my laptop won't handle it. So I'd have to use my dads laptop.

I've heard that you have to buy extra clothing and stuff from the site?
you have the option of buying extra clothes using The Sims 3 Store, but it's not required. the game comes with more than enough clothing. plus, you can even customize the clothes by color and pattern!

the sims 3 is totally worth buying, i just can't play it cause my computer is messed up. i have a laptop too, but it handled the game really well.
Amanda Summers
No broom

Post by Amanda Summers »

I got it but cant play... need a new video card
Andrea Caroline
No broom

Post by Andrea Caroline »

Amanda Summers wrote:QUOTE (Amanda Summers @ Aug 10 2009, 12:58 AM) I got it but cant play... need a new video card

Ouch, that's sad... I got the same problem but I think mine is worst since I use a super duper old PC (with windowsxp98 or something) that cannot be inserted with a video card that matches the requirement for the game. So yeah that's a really big bummer for me and I feel your pain... :(
sig made by me!! :D
Andrea Caroline|an675|Michievous Warrior Monks|an artist in the making

GO GRYFFINDOR!!!!!
Adelaide Inverna
No broom

Post by Adelaide Inverna »

I'm a huge, obsessive sims fan. I got The Sims 2 and all but one of the expansion packs and the deluxe version of The Sims 3. At first I was disapointed with it (huge bug that was later patched caused a HUGE time lag, too) but it's definitely growing on me. What I love the most at this point is the lack of loading screens whenever you go into town. :)
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Morgan Maddock

Post by Morgan Maddock »

Adelaide Inverna wrote:QUOTE (Adelaide Inverna @ Aug 20 2009, 01:16 AM) I'm a huge, obsessive sims fan. I got The Sims 2 and all but one of the expansion packs and the deluxe version of The Sims 3. At first I was disapointed with it (huge bug that was later patched caused a HUGE time lag, too) but it's definitely growing on me. What I love the most at this point is the lack of loading screens whenever you go into town. :)
i agree. i had all the sims 2 expansions, but i haaaateeedddd loading screens so much that i almost never left my house. in the sims 3, that's all different and i leave my house to go play guitar in the park all the time. :)
Ikaika Simmerly
No broom

Post by Ikaika Simmerly »

I'm yet to get the Sims 3. I heard it was amazing and wonderful. SIGH!
Marie Campbell
No broom

Post by Marie Campbell »

Maya Etoranze wrote:QUOTE (Maya Etoranze @ Jul 23 2009, 05:25 AM) i have it installed in my laptop already but sadly mine is a toshiba and just like all toshiba laptop users i'm experiencing problems with the game such as the game won't work since my graphic card does not match the requirement....

but i got a taste of sims 3 using my friend's computer and it was an awesome experience!!! i was caught going out after curfew several times and my teenage sim went to juvenile jail (but then I restarted my game to prevent it from happening :D )
Wait really I didn't know it was possible for the teen sims to go to jail! Haha.
Marie Campbell
No broom

Post by Marie Campbell »

So I bought the game the day it came out and when I get the chance to play the Sims, 3 is the one I play even though I still have 2 installed. The thing that frustrates me is apparently my graphics aren't full blown because of my card on my laptop and my sim babies don't come home from the hospital in baskets...they just come home in the arms of their moms unless its twins and its both parents and their in the taxi on the way home in their arms which is totally unsafe... :D . I really like that we don't have to wait for any sort of town screen to load or lot to load and that you just go from place to place around the town. I also don't like that we have so few choices for hairstyles...I wish there was more. I love being able to customize everything even though I don't usually take advantage of it. I like that you can age a sim up whenever you want using the birthday cake and I like that you can set the lifespan to epic and have a sim live forever practically. I also like the wishes a lot better than the wants/fears from the sims 2 and I like the moodlets are what does your sims mood instead of their needs so that even if your sim is tired if their mood is mostly green from other stuff they'll still study or whatever instead of just quitting like they used to do. Sadly I haven't been able to play in awhile but hopefully sometime soon.
Violet Rubert
No broom

Post by Violet Rubert »

I ordered the Sims 3 game and when it came in the mail I loved it. I still am iffy that it takes a huge chunk of your memory and more chunks when you save outfit creations. I was playing it on my laptop but I have very little room now, I decided to remove it and try it on PC. My graphics card is not compattible with it. So much for the game made "It can work on your grandma's computer!" I still prefer Sims 2 over Sims 3 on some points. I like Sims 3 that you can add personality traits, favorite foods, what you want their job to be. The customization in clothing is just endless. I really do love it to bits. It's slow at times but it is a good game. I'm pretty sure once I get a new graphics card and update my memory on my PC I'll play it a lot more. But now that I'm into HOL I can't guarantee that. XD
Last edited by Violet Rubert on Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stephanie Iadeluca
No broom

Post by Stephanie Iadeluca »

I'm a Sims addict.

I've got The Sims 2 and all the expansion packs (which makes the game more fun). that's the only thing that's lacking with Sims 3, but obviously they're adding expansion packs to that too. I can't wait for those. They should be iiiinteresting!

I agree with everyone else about how it's so cool that the sims can travel throughout the whole town without any loading screens. SO much fun! I don't know if anyone else experiences this, but whenever i click to make a Sim go somewhere or do something, they just stand there. Well, it's just like a bad delay. They stay there for like 10 seconds and THEN finally move lol.

These recent characters i made are so fun. there's one guy who i made homeless. I just moved him on an empty lot but i make him walk all over town and mooch food off people, and goes to the Community Pool to take a shower HAHAHA. Then i made this couple: the guy has blue skin with blonde hair and the girl has red skin and red hair. I just wanted to see if their kids would turn out purple lmfao...but they didnt :(
Silde Owen
No broom

Post by Silde Owen »

I played Sims 3 quite a bit over the summer but I haven't touched it now in months. Most things like that come and go for me so no big deal but to be honest I usually expect my "on" phase to last longer than a couple of months. Sims 3 is just an extra bit frustrating because you can only play the one family in the neighbourhood I think. I mean I spent weeks of real time building up relationships between my ten or so families in Sims 2, seeing relationships from both sides etc.. so I find being restricted to one household very disappointing. Like, my family based on me and my boyfriend had 3 kids. I put effort into how they grew up and when they became adults I couldn't bring myself to have any of them move out and have their life develop according to the game instead of me. So I kept them all in the same house but with the limit of 8 people per family, it means they can't all have kids of their own, there isn't room.. I have found that quite frustrating.

Like Stephanie in the last post, I created a homeless family (A woman and two children) but it was actually way too easy! Free showers at the swimming pool, free food in the park, no excuse really for not just getting a part time job - and I had the woman build up a rapport with her next door neighbour, few days later she wanted to move in with him. Pretty much solved all her problems then! I would have liked more of a challenge :P

Sims 3 certainly has some fun aspects like going into town (I've never had expansions for any game so anything outside the lot is totally new for me) and the wishes thing is a nice way of doing goals (Though in the end it's all a bit pointless still - as I have found with ALL Sims games) but I think there are aspects from sims 2 which could have been kept and made the game just a little closer to perfect.
Jinxy Jo
No broom

Post by Jinxy Jo »

I eventually got the Sims 3. I haven't really played it too much since I tend to get bored easily. I just hope I don't go back on and find out they've popped a few kids out since I've been away.

I love how it's a little bit more challenging than the Sims 2 and I love the little tasks it gives you to complete.
If I should become a stranger, you know that it would make me more than sad (8)

Return to “Games Talk”