Difficult Books

Non Harry Potter Book Discussion

Moderator: Prefects

Iverian Gnash
Cleansweep One

Difficult Books

Post by Iverian Gnash »

The thought just came to me that while there are lots of books out there that we've read and loved, what about those ones that we just haven't been able to finish? Sometimes, when we start reading a new book, we find that it's not grasping our attention like our last few reads did.

Recently, I've been trying to read Treasure Island, which is quite a classic. I keep picking it up, reading the first chapter or so, then moving on to something more appealing. Maybe it's the writing style that's not catching my attention, or perhaps the story plot itself.

Have there ever been any books you've tried to read countless times, but just couldn't? What were they and why weren't they holding your attention?
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. - Dalai Lama

Tags:
Emerald Wolvenhowl
Oakshaft 79

Re: Difficult Books

Post by Emerald Wolvenhowl »

I always wanted to read Wind in the Willows. I have tried reading it several times but I don't get passed the third page, no matter how hard I try. The sentences are very challenging because they are so long. So much so that when I reach the end of a sentence I've forgotten what has happened at the beginning. The problem with that is a lot of the time nothing makes much sense and so the book gets put away yet again.
Emily Spencer
Comet 180

Post by Emily Spencer »

As a lover of fantasy, I should be ashamed, but I simply cannot finish Lord of the Rings. I've tried several times, and can only manage a chapter or two before I'm bored to tears and banging my head in frustration.
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who’s going to stop me.”
Head Student/Slytherin Prefect/Student Teacher/Library & Book Club Head
February Fortescue
Cleansweep One

Post by February Fortescue »

I agree, Emily! Because so many people love this series, I don't admit to it very off, but for me the novels drag to the point where they're a real challenge. I had to force myself to read them.
superb sig by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
No matter where you go, there you are.
Sam Reaper
No broom

Post by Sam Reaper »

I absolutely love reading classics, Jeckyll and Hyde is my all time favourite book. But I could just not finish The Picture of Dorian Gray. I picked it up about 2 years ago, thinking it would be a quick read because its so short... i already pretty much knew the plot , the picture ages for him. I had to put it down after a week.
I tried again at the start of the year, still only 50 pages.
I started reading it at the start of this month, it took me 3 weeks from start to finish, reading about 1 hour a day. I think the writing style is just all over the place. There's a whole chapter in the middle where i just did not understand what was going on and am still not sure what happened.
The ending redeemed it a little but my word that was difficult.
Maeve Madden
No broom

Post by Maeve Madden »

I agree with Emily and Feb! Even though the Lord of the Rings books are classics and there are so many people out there that love them, I really could not get into them. I tried to read The Hobbit and I stopped about a quarter of the way through because it was too slow for me.

Return to “Book Talk”