Books for Christmas

Non Harry Potter Book Discussion

Moderator: Prefects

Gail Allen
Cleansweep One

Books for Christmas

Post by Gail Allen »

Every year I read the same book at Christmas -which for me is today, the 24th, so merry christmas everyone, I'll be reading this today!
It's A Christmas Legend by Selma Lagerlöf, a Swedish author. It's about five pages long without illustrations, but there are a fair few in there and I find they add a lot to the story for. E.
I also used to love a story called The Little Donkey which was a story about a poor little donkey which was at the end sold to a kind man called Joseph who needed a donkey to carry his pregnant wife. I loved that tale.

But which stories, if any, do you like to read around this time? Do you have a tradition where you read one specific pne every year?
We also have a fair few with a story that has 24 chapters, so it works as an adventscalender and has indeed been written for that purpose. They are lovely too. Do you have something like that? And if so do you know what one of them is about? Or would you like having that kind of book if you don't?

Tags:
Joey Stark
Oakshaft 79

Re: Books for Christmas

Post by Joey Stark »

I love the sound of your tradition Gail! (And Merry Christmas for yesterday)

My tradition is that I tend to read the Harry Potter books around Nov/Dec (this year I'm cheating and have them on playing on audiobook) but with a small twist. I mark out the Christmas sections of the first 6, the parts where they open their presents and everything's festive and decorated and re read these sections on Christmas Eve night. Harry Potter is a comfort book for me anyway but this really gets me in a Christmassy mood.

The other book I occasionally read around Christmas is Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol. Just a personal favourite.

I've never heard of an advent type book! I think it's a great idea! I'm not sure I'd use one myself as I'm not good at stopping and starting (I find the transition between books even kind of unsettling), I think I'd want to read it all in one go but the concept is wonderful.

Return to “Book Talk”