The Secret

Non Harry Potter Book Discussion
Scarlett Gabryella
No broom

Post by Scarlett Gabryella » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:17 am

My mother recently bought the new 'It' book called The Secret.
It was featured on Oprah and many other talkshows.

They have even brought out a 'The Secret' DVD which we have, still havent watched.
I am very interested to read it when my mum finishes it but i was wondering has anyone else read it?

If yes, Whats it like? Worth Reading?

If no, Would you read it? Why/Why not?
"In Dreams, We enter a world that is entirely our own."
Prof. Ben Quaddler
No broom

Post by Prof. Ben Quaddler » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:50 am

I haven't read it, but (unfortunately) the show screened here on TV. And it's pretty much a load of nonsense. It's one of those ideas that seems to promises the world and delivers nothing, in my opinion.

It's similar to the whole emotional intelligence craze in that it's just taking amateur psychology ideas, repackaging them in a popular form for the mainstream market and then racking in the dough for its author. *sigh*
Prof. Ben Quaddler
HP: Theory and Comparisons teacher; purveyor of sweetgoods and random glompings.
Gryffindor for the Cups 2007/2008!
Marie Thenes
No broom

Post by Marie Thenes » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:24 am

I haven't read the book, but I've seen the DVD and I have to say, I believe. *shrugs* I'm not an overly optimistic person, but I believe that if a person is in a positive state of mind, they're more likely to act in a positive way and in turn things are more likely to turn out well. Whether or not 'the Universe' moves in accordance to it I think is superfluous. Good intentions = good outcomes in my opinion. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I agree with Prof. Q on the fact that it's an old concept re-packaged, and how they've marketed it has definitely caught a lot of peoples attention. But hey, if a lot of people who wouldn't necessarily have been 'exposed' to this concept before get something out of this - as well as everyone else - then good on them. There's huge potential for a person to get some value out of this. Specially if you enjoy inspirational talks.
Although, if you can't stand fluffy terminology, then you might struggle through it.

So yeah, I guess this is one of those things where if you think it works or if you don't, you're right! (You have the powah! \o/ /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />)

Personally though, I liked this because the message was presented in a way that was easy to grasp and was inspirational. Not to mention it was a kind of re-affirming thing for me about 'positive' thoughts.

- Marie

PS I have to say though, when I heard Rhonda Byrne's voice in the beginning of the movie, I couldn't help but cringe...I think it might've been her Australian accent...*shudders* /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />
Seventh Year | Gryff SPD Prefect | Agent T 02' | Holyhead Harpies 03' | SUN Scares 04' | Toffee Tiger Liger for Lyfe
-----9 1/2 inches, ebony, phoenix feather-----#~

Return to “Book Talk”