Alex Rider?

Non Harry Potter Book Discussion
Morag McQueen
No broom

Post by Morag McQueen » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:58 pm

I was just wondering if any of you had read the series about reluctant teenage spy Alex Rider, by Anthony Horrowitx?
I found them to be a great holiday read... They're quite easy to read, but still interestin, just what you need on a school break /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />
What was your opinion of them?
Many Thanks to the wonderful Efie from SparkleissaInk for both Signature and Avatar.
Sycyla Rose
No broom

Post by Sycyla Rose » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:28 am

I'd agree. The books are great. I think Antony Horowitz is a great author.
Maggie McGravin
No broom

Post by Maggie McGravin » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:51 am

I've never read the books, but I did see the movie. Operation Stormbreaker I think it was called. I watched it on a date. it was awesome. I was skeptical at first, cause it seemed like much of a teenager movie, but by the end I caught myself with tight, sweaty fists. So I had definitely gotten really into it.

I think I could read the books, even though they're geared to a younger audience than myself. They sound like fun.
~Maggie McGravin~
11 1/2 inches, Persimmon
with a core of Powdered Dragon Scales

How did YOU celebrate New Years?
Diane Hartnett
No broom

Post by Diane Hartnett » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:37 pm

I love the books. Anthony Horowitz is a BRILLIANT writer, and I like Alex. But the film kinda ruined it for me.

My favourite was Eagle Strike ... shame about Yassen though. ;_; He was a great man.
"No-one can save you from yourself." - Ritsuko Akagi
Katie Potter
No broom

Post by Katie Potter » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:07 pm

Hmm. Yes. I love the books XD My friends recently asked me to read Scorpia, the fifth installment in the series, which I loooved. I was really surprised by the ending though and was sorta depressed afterwards. XP But then I found out that Ark Angel was released last April and was depressed no more. \o/

I'm reading Stormbreaker now, will probably finish tonight and will go on to Point Blank. My friends and I are planning to rent the Stormbreaker movie to watch together, looking forward to that. ;D

All in all, I think Horowitz is an amazing writer. As I've found myself saying over the past few days, there are select few books where I actually find no problem in the main character, making it an awesome main character. I'd definitely name Alex one of them. /happy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="^_^" border="0" alt="happy.gif" />

<3 to the Alex Rider series ^__^
Ayahzy Nahki
Oakshaft 79

Post by Ayahzy Nahki » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:07 pm

I love the Alex Rider series! We had to read Eagle Strike for school around the same time the Stormbreaker mvie came out. I had to wait forever for it to actually come to the local movie theaters...but it was worth it. I even got bonus points for watching it. After that, I read Stormbreaker, Point Blank, Skeleton Key, Scorpia, and Ark Angel. I own all of them now, and I can't wait for the next one! Does anyone know if they're making a movie for Point Blank?
Ayahzy Nahki|ay801|RQT|MiniMaya
Siggy by the fabulous Cassie Lobiesk <3
Olivia Charm
Oakshaft 79

Post by Olivia Charm » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:33 am

So far, I only read the first book, and I must say it was ok. Nothing more, really.
I kind of had enough with this whole "spy kids" idea, so I couldn't see anything too new in the book.
It has the same story as many others adventure books from this kind:
A kid learns that he is actually a spy/wizard/super hero, and at first, he is reuse to belive/ignore it/trying to find a way out, but in the end he's becoming the best of his kind.
Been there, done that.

Alex is learning that his uncle was a spy, and now it's his turn, he son't want to, they make him, and at the end he is very good at that.
Maybe it gets better at the other books, but the first one didn't kcnok my off my feet.
Giroro, Gilbert & Glimfeather - love forever!
Alissa Kirby
No broom

Post by Alissa Kirby » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:48 pm

Well, at the beginning of the summer, I went to a bookstore to stock up on books (Gotta keep myself busy until DH comes out xcD) and I saw Eagle Strike. I picked it up, not knowing it was part of a series, and read through the first few chapters. It seems pretty good, but for now I'm going to wait until I get the first three, before I read it. ^^

Return to “Book Talk”