Book Quest

Non Harry Potter Book Discussion
Winnifred Seas
No broom

Post by Winnifred Seas » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:07 pm

Do any of you guys have a Book Quest at your school.
It is where you read so many books get on teams and have to go against the other teams at your school.
It's fun becaues we get to miss a half hour of school to sit in the library and talk about books.
Gryffindor, Second Year
Yay, for David Bowie!!!
Very Random......
Winnifred Seas
No broom

Post by Winnifred Seas » Mon May 01, 2006 10:02 pm

Here is the list of books that we can read:
The Wolves of Willoughby Chase
My Side of the Mountian
Rescue Josh Mcguire
Hatchet
Daphne's Book*
The View from Saturday
Shilo
Because of Winn-Dixie
The White Mountians*
Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh*
The Reluctant God*
The Castle in the Attic*
Running out of Time*
Time for Andrew
Number the Stars*
The Witch of Blackbird Pond*
The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle
Z for Zachariah
The Watsons go to Birmingham-1963
Cat Running

I have read the ones with a *
Gryffindor, Second Year
Yay, for David Bowie!!!
Very Random......
Lily Rose
No broom

Post by Lily Rose » Tue May 02, 2006 12:34 am

no we dont /sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> but it sounds really awesome! wow...i really tried to read the witch of blackbird pond but i got unbearably bored within 3 pages... /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />
made by the awesomely incredible Nic @ Sig n' Av Palace! <3
Amanda Hensgen
No broom

Post by Amanda Hensgen » Tue May 02, 2006 3:09 am

Aww I remember back in elementary school and a bit of middle school we had that! It was awesome but it was called "Battle of the Books"

Man that was so long ago I can barely remember. But it was great. We had all the classic books, similar to those you listed. There'd be about 12 books each year. Then you'd be in a group of three. Normally you'd divide the 12 books then so each person would read 4. It worked really well. Come the end of the year you'd compete against other teams when a teacher or something asked a series of questions. Each person would answer it based on who read the book teh question was from. It was a lot of fun /happy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="^_^" border="0" alt="happy.gif" />
Jadeth Smith
No broom

Post by Jadeth Smith » Sun May 07, 2006 7:07 pm

The only thing close we had to that in my elementary school was kind of like a "Last Reader Standing" kind of thing. Each month, the librarian would keep track of how many books people had read, and the person with the most books read would win a prize and the person with the least books read would be dropped from the race for the ultimate prize. It was really fun if you got over the fact that the same girl appear to be winning year after year. What? me bitter /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />
Taylore Watson
No broom

Post by Taylore Watson » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:49 am

Amanda Hensgen wrote:Aww I remember back in elementary school and a bit of middle school we had that! It was awesome but it was called "Battle of the Books"
We have Battle of the Books too but its kind of different than you described it. We play it in Middle School and I really love it. My class has won two years in a row. I think itsa because we have three really big readers in our class (me included)
Prof. Amy Lupin
Shooting Star

Post by Prof. Amy Lupin » Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:49 pm

At my primary school, we had something called Readathon. How it works is for one week we read as much as we can, either in class or in our spare time. For each day we make a note of how many pages we have read.

It was really a fundraiser if anything. We had to get sponsors to sponsor us for each page we read or they can just send in a donation.

At the end of the competition, the top 2 readers in each class would receive a certificate (given in class) and the top one from each grade would be called up in assembly to receive both a certificate and a book voucher. The person who raised the most the most money also received certificate and a book voucher
Nassa Dikaios
No broom

Post by Nassa Dikaios » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:33 pm

back in elementary we had something similar..but we never got to miss class for it. It was jsut a contest to see who could read the most books. I came in second...I still have the plaque. I still have a grudge against the girl who came in first *snorts*...

*hugs plaque*
“Once bitten by a snake, a person is scared all their
life at the mere sight of a rope.â€￾~Chinese Proverb
Ara Maine
No broom

Post by Ara Maine » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:50 pm

wow, thats cool!!! i hope we can have like that in our school too.

Return to “Book Talk”