So, You Want To Be A Wizard?

Non Harry Potter Book Discussion
Ronan Cavanagh
No broom

Post by Ronan Cavanagh » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:22 am

Has anybody read the series So, You Want to be a Wizard? by Diane Duane? I think it's an awsome series and not too many people know about it. I started reading it last year and I absolutley loved it right away. It's such a different take on magic that is really intreaguing.
Created by Cho Delacour of Sig 'N Av Palace

Eagle Pride!!
Angelina Bell
No broom
Location: A Place Where Heaven And Earth Are One And The Same (Gryffindor)

Post by Angelina Bell » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:33 am

I thought it was totally awesome. The Wizard's Vaction (I'm pretty sure that was the title) was totally the best. Miss Duane is one of the best authors I've ever read.

Siggy done by Rachel Baudelaire
Prof. Talisman Zosimus
No broom

Post by Prof. Talisman Zosimus » Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:15 am

Could you tell more about the series? I've never heard of it, but I'd like to hear more.
THANKS FOR MY SIGGY Hatshepsut! (But you are still a dork *G*)
Photons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!
Elandra Maerdyn
No broom

Post by Elandra Maerdyn » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:23 am

Ah, I remember that series! I haven't read anything from it since I was little though ^.^ I didn't really understand it then....possibly because I was like...six! I never did finish the series, but from what I remember it was really good. I think that I'll go back and try it again!
Prof. Saeir Darr
No broom

Post by Prof. Saeir Darr » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:14 am

I've read the entire series so far, and if you havn't noticed, a lot of the way she did things in her wizardry and the way it was written in the manuels, like how it talked about "strings and arguments" and such is actually like computer programming. The computer manual hints toward that too. I don't know if the authors knows loads about computers or if she just researched that for the book. But I love it, a new twist computers and magic, in which you still keep all the old stuff like wands and talking animals.
Currently teaching: Magic on Ice: Figure skating!
Prof. Hermione Pena
No broom

Post by Prof. Hermione Pena » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:16 pm

I've read those books! I think I got the first one last summer, then I got a bunch for Christmas... I've read through book 6, I honestly don't know if there are any after that. I too like how it's such a different take on magic, it makes it more interesting, though at times I've been confused. I think I liked the first one best, but Deep Wizardry was really good too.
Magic is the sun that makes a rainbow out of rain
Magic keeps the dream alive to try and try again
Magic is the love that stays when good friends have to leave
I do believe in magic, I believe
Adam Dangerfield
No broom

Post by Adam Dangerfield » Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:00 am

I haven't read them yet, but I saw one in a book fair not too long ago. I didn't have the money to buy it, but I did read through the first few pages. It seemed nice, but I'm not sure if it would be for me. I liked the fact that it wasn't Harry Potter revisited, but with a different take on wizards altogether.
Adam Dangerfield | ad600 | First Year
Wand: Aspen, 9 5/8 inches, dragon scale core
GO WIMBOURNE WASPS!!
Crystal Key
No broom

Post by Crystal Key » Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:23 pm

I am on the seccond book Deep Wizardry and have two unrread ones from later in the series. They are a bit slow for my taste but still quite good.

I belive someonne wanted more and I will get back to that, I have to go....

A sort of discription for the series......

Kit and Nita are wizards, not to mention best friends. With casts of friends and foes join them in their quest to vanquish the Lone Power and other enimes as the two become more powerful. Butthe Lone Power is determined to have them out of the way. Can Nita and Kit save themselves from the Lone Power and save the Earth as well? Good thing their parents don't know what there up to....

Any questions about my vague paragraph can come here where a nice person will most likly answer them.

Crystal
Last edited by Crystal Key on Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cyriel Aurorus
No broom

Post by Cyriel Aurorus » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:18 pm

I've read them too /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> I really liked them, but it's hard to talk about them here, cause I've only read them in Finnish /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />
|Cyriel Bowl of D00m! \o/|cy602|Fifth Year|Prefect|
|SPD|Spice Squad|Paw Print|LCPP Head|Teh Ubar|
Euvira Samara
No broom

Post by Euvira Samara » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:55 am

I've heard of them but never read them. My friend said they were they worst, so I never bothered. But I'll have to try them now!
Nina Cecka
No broom

Post by Nina Cecka » Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:03 am

I've never even heard of them! I'll have to check them out now!

Before you critize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you critize them you are a mile away and you have their shoes. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.

Wand: 15 inches from a maple tree, with a dragon claw core

Pets: One cat named Starlene.
Crystal Key
No broom

Post by Crystal Key » Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:06 pm

To Euvira and Nina,

Remember to tell us what you think of the books! And to update us on your progress! I'm only on the third.....

Crys
Jamie Dolohov
No broom

Post by Jamie Dolohov » Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:48 am

i have read quite a few books from the series but ive read them out of order which sucks...they were amazing though. i really liked the one that took place in ireland
Jamie Dolohov/ ja522/ Slytherin

"It is too late in the day for men of sincerity to pretend they believe in the Platonic mysticisms that three are one, and one is three; and yet that the one is not three, and the three are not one." -Thomas Jefferson

made by Tambaqui at the Sig n Av Palace
Jennifer Reed
No broom

Post by Jennifer Reed » Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:10 am

I've just finished the 3rd book High Wizardry. The books are Awesome. They are a great read.
I am Iggy's Girl. If you mess with me, you are in for a world of trouble. I have 'special' friends.
Harriet Black
No broom

Post by Harriet Black » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:19 am

I've never heard of those books before, but I think I'll check them out sometime.
Thanks to Morgy at the Hogsmeade sig 'n' av shop!
Jenilina Sohma
No broom

Post by Jenilina Sohma » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:00 pm

I've read it before like 3 years ago. I liked it but as I read on with the series I got bored. It didnt captivate my interest any more. But it was good when I started it.

I guess with so much people sayin they liked it, maybe I should reread them again. I do have alot of time.

I'm going to try to read her other books too.
Amanda Hensgen
No broom

Post by Amanda Hensgen » Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:31 pm

I've owned the first book the series for like years. I finally read it around this time last year. Suprisingly it was a fairly slow read to me. It really didn't captivate my interest a whole lot. I think it's just such a different type of magic and wizardry then I'm used to. It's extremely different then Rowling's type of magic or Tolkien's.

I really just didn't like how in this book he is able to find a book about magic and teach himself how to be a wizard. I don't like how any random person can just decide to be a wizard. I'm sure if I read the whole series I might like them a bit more. Ultimately though the way magic is described in this book is just to unusual for my tastes.
Kiwi Keys
No broom

Post by Kiwi Keys » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:18 am

Ronan Cavanagh wrote:Has anybody read the series So, You Want to be a Wizard? by Diane Duane?  I think it's an awsome series and not too many people know about it.  I started reading it last year and I absolutley loved it right away.  It's such a different take on magic that is really intreaguing.
Oh my gosh, someone else that has read the series of 'So you want to be a Wizard' This is my all time favorite series-besides harry Potter-and I'm reading the second one right now
-Sammeh
Flirting is a sport and should be treated as such | If a guy is perfect in every way, there is something seriously wrong with him | Blondes are not dumb-remember who you are talking to!
Taylore Watson
No broom

Post by Taylore Watson » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:59 pm

I got about halfway through the first book then I got bored and dropped it. I don't know why I didn't like it but I think it was starting to get to sci-fi for me. A little is okay but it just seemed like there was too much. Maybe I am wrong... I think I will try it again.
Orchid Dust
Moontrimmer

Post by Orchid Dust » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:15 pm

I saw it in a thrift shop (lol) and i didn't know if i would like it. is it good? it's not wiccaish, right? i know i'm a nerd but some of those things are sort of weird (no offense to wiccas) and i go to a Christian School so it wouldn't look good. are they good? is it that one about the girl whos in a book shop and amongst the SO YOU WANT TO BE A...... she finds that wizard book and she picks it up?
^^^ made by the lovelie Atrain Volecuz. imy,bbby.

"We take the love we think we deserve."

Return to “Book Talk”