Worst Book Ever

Non Harry Potter Book Discussion
Crystal Key
No broom

Post by Crystal Key » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:36 pm

A lot of forums do best books, but this is for the worst books. List only the worst horrible books you have ever read and rate them 1 to 10. Also debate the worst textbooks from school of all time. Have fun!

Crystal
Amy Vision
No broom

Post by Amy Vision » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:44 pm

Some of you might not agree, but I hate "The Cay". It was just so boring. I had to read it in school not that long ago and my teacher made us read a chapter then write an essay about that chapter /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" /> I HATED it!!!! I swear, I almost fell asleep each time I started to read it. /wacko.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" /> It drove me CRAZY!!

Peace* Amy
I made this sig myself. feel free to PM me
if you would like me to make you one.

|Amy James Vision|Keeper of the Secrets|
|Chocolate Freak|Snape Hater|Harry Potter Lover|
Prof. Hailey Potter
Silver Arrow

Post by Prof. Hailey Potter » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:27 pm

Yeah, the Cay was boring. But the worst book EVER was Johnny Tremain. Ugh, how I never want to have to read that again!!!
Gryffindor Professor|HOL 101, An Introduction to Divination, and Advanced Divination
Spice Squad Captain|Paw Print EiC|Lions' Pride
Prof. Hermione Pena
No broom

Post by Prof. Hermione Pena » Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:10 am

In ninth grade for academic decathlon I had to read Far from the Madding Crowd. I managed to get through it, and so did a friend (also a freshman), but I think we were the only ones on the team who did. From what I remember, it was extremely boring, and the author seemed to take simply forever to describe the scenery and everything going on.
Magic is the sun that makes a rainbow out of rain
Magic keeps the dream alive to try and try again
Magic is the love that stays when good friends have to leave
I do believe in magic, I believe
Angelina Bell
No broom
Location: A Place Where Heaven And Earth Are One And The Same (Gryffindor)

Post by Angelina Bell » Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:27 am

I'm the first to admit that I have a problem. If I am forced to read a book, I don't usually like. I try and keep it out of my mind but that doesn't always work.
The worst book I ever read was Sign of the Beaver. I'm sure it would have been fine had things had gone soomther. We weren't allowed to read more than one chapter a week. We were in 5th grade and my teacher didn't want us to go ahead. I was so bored

Siggy done by Rachel Baudelaire
Asteria Moonglow
No broom

Post by Asteria Moonglow » Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:24 am

Watership Down(s?), seventh grade honors English, Mrs. Sugg, bleugh. Of all of the books that I have EVER read in my life, and that's a lot of books, I'd say that one has to be the most painful read I've had to suffer through. A rabbit that has a premonition and basically a chicken little effect follows...I couldn't handle it. I flat out told the teacher it was terrible and it should be removed from the lesson plan. Didn't work.
Asteria Moonglow ll Ravenclaw ll as601 ll Ravenclaw Quidditch Team l Book Club l Drama Club l Writer's Society ll
Isabella Astiar
No broom

Post by Isabella Astiar » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:01 am

Around the World in 80 Days.

*dies* I thought that I would paralyze finishing the book.

And Cry, the Beloved Country.

I don't know. I should find the book interesting - a lot of my friends did. Somehow, it was really boring, and almost desensitized me to the sufferings during the Apartheid.

Well, that is an exaggeration. But still - some books are dreadfully boring.
Last edited by Isabella Astiar on Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Isabella Astiar
Regina Silverthread
No broom

Post by Regina Silverthread » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:21 pm

A lot of people love this one (especially English teachers) /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> , so I don't know if you agree, but I found it totally boring. My worst textbook ever!

To Kill a Mockinbird - Harper Lee
Pixa Jaderhys
No broom

Post by Pixa Jaderhys » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:33 pm

I totally agree about Johnny Tremain. UGH. Read it in 5th grade because my teacher thought I could. I finished it, but hated it.

Oh, and To Kill a Mockingbird does indeed get boring after, oh, say... reading it about 10 times for different classes? :-P

A book I got particularly tired of this past year was The Scarlet Letter. Over-analysis doesn't do good things when you're reading any book, and I was in an AP English course.

And now... I'm reading Jane Eyre. I haven't gotten very far in to it, but it's required reading and school starts in one week. It's rather boring so far though. Unless it picks up some, I'll be agonizing over finishing that.
Last edited by Pixa Jaderhys on Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Siggy made by Sig 'n' Av Palace
Eleanor Chambers
Oakshaft 79

Post by Eleanor Chambers » Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:45 pm

I liked the Cay and to Kill a Mockingbird. A lot.

Maybe I'm crazy.

I disliked um...this crazy supreme court book I was forced to read in U.S. Government two years ago. It wasn't so fun...
`,'.
[color=996633]/
ELLA|[/color]| Gryffindor| Fourth Year |
Riona Carcaroth
No broom

Post by Riona Carcaroth » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:05 pm

I liked "To Kill A Mockingbird" before I read it in class. We analyzed it to no end and spend almost half a year on it. Now I try to keep up my good memories about it since I will have to read it again for graduation exams.

I also liked "Around the World in 80 Days" when I first read it at my grandparent's. Wehn we read it in class, however, we got such a bad translation of it that it was indeed terrible to get through it.

The book I most hated in class was "Michael Kohlhaas" by Heinrich von Kleist. The story was good, the writing, however, was so tiresome that the only way of getting through it for me was to download the text (there's no copyright on it anymore...) and read it in Word with the right-arrow-key pressed down.

I usually like Shapespeare but I didn't like "Macbeth" very much. It just was different than the other dramas I've read by Shakespeare earlier.

One book I didn't read in class but really didn't like was "Little House on the Prairie" by Laura Ingalls Wilder. When I was younger and couldn't sleep I grabbed the book and started reading it. I fell asleep in an instant.
Crystal Key
No broom

Post by Crystal Key » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:07 am

I have to agree that Macbeth was just a load of blood and death. And that The Kay is practically banned by my student body it has such a bad reputation.

To Kill A Mocking Bird I have never heard of but it sounds really sad and painful. My mom is now telling me it is a classic and I should read it this summer. I don't agree about reading it.

I saw the " Around The World in 80 Days" movie and I did not know there was a book. Learn several new things everyday. Five kids in my class tried to read Johnny Tremain, they did not finish it. They said some very bad things about that book so I will not try to read it.

I read the Sign of the Beaver a few times... but I would only rate it about 5 it was so so.

Be back later.......
Crystal
Nessa Valrach
No broom

Post by Nessa Valrach » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:11 am

I absolutely hated "The Phantom Tollbooth." It didn't hold my interest at all, and I think I put it down about three quarters of the way in. It just seemed so boring and dry to me, and I got very little out of it.
Airemay Speare
No broom

Post by Airemay Speare » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:24 am

Haha, I really enjoyed To Kill a Mockingbird. But that's not the point of this thread.

Worst book to me... I would have to say my 5th grade vocab book thing. Not too interesting. I tend to like every book I read, so I have very few I dislike.
Henrietta Blackshire
No broom

Post by Henrietta Blackshire » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:06 am

Ew. Great Expectations.
I ADORE Dickens, but this just wasn't one of his best.

The Great Gatsby was always one of my favourite books, until I read it last year and completely overanalysed it. I don't like it when we have to write papers on books or take extensive exams on them, it ruins the whole reason why I like books: free, unpersuaded reading.
No sig. Until I resize it!
Prof. Etheria Angel
No broom

Post by Prof. Etheria Angel » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:39 pm

Regina Silverthread wrote:A lot of people love this one (especially English teachers)  /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />  , so I don't know if you agree, but I found it totally boring. My worst textbook ever!

To Kill a Mockinbird - Harper Lee
On this, I have to offer you a butterbeer!! I could not agree more. I tried to read it and just couldn't get into it at all.

The other books mentioned so far, I actually like /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> Even Watership Down, which was odd, but still fairly entertaining.

On my list of 'worst books' are:

Moby Dick-I HATED that book with a passion..shudders
Uncle Tom's Cabin-well, that's a Southern thing, but I didn't like it /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />
Around the World in 80 Days-had to read that one for school eons ago..bleh
Any Sherlock Holmes book-again, shudders

I'm sure there is more; but can't think of them right now.
Wand: 14" rosewood with dragon scale core
Hari O'Duibhleargain
No broom

Post by Hari O'Duibhleargain » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:01 pm

Funny, most of the books being mentioned in this thread are books I actually very much enjoyed, or at least found tolerable.

This year I have to read A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway for school. It's proving impossible to get into, and just seems very boring and weird, plus it isn't something I would even think of reading under normal circumstances. So it's rather annoying.
Hari O'Duibhleargain~an381
Crystal Key
No broom

Post by Crystal Key » Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:31 pm

It seems like all of the worst books are famous for being dull. And for being recomended by parents and teachers. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="<_<" border="0" alt="dry.gif" /> Like that is really an accomplishment for anybook book. * Smells french toast*
Oh..............

Crystal
Eaven Braenwood
No broom

Post by Eaven Braenwood » Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:40 am

The Last of the Mohicans... What a good movie, but what a terrible book, and that's coming from an English honours student! I generally love all books...

Eaven
Loden Evercast
No broom

Post by Loden Evercast » Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:41 pm

I hate les miserables. I had to read it for English 2 honors and i think i read half before quitting. I still made good grades on the class work though /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
And she'll be right here in my arms
So in Love
She'll be right here in these arms
She can't let go

Return to “Book Talk”