How Many Books Do You Read Per Year

Non Harry Potter Book Discussion

Moderator: Prefects

Isabella Astiar
No broom

How Many Books Do You Read Per Year

Post by Isabella Astiar »

As I am preparing for the SATs, I have found out that statistics show that high scorers read at least 14 hours per week (of course, this counts menus, magazines, internet, etc.)

I am wondering exactly how many books my fellow HOLers read in a year - to figure out if I should go out and read some more, or tell my mom that the people on the internet said that I read just as much as everyone else. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />
Isabella Astiar

Tags:
Amy Vision
No broom

Post by Amy Vision »

I read a TON of books a year!! I mean, I like read 3 books a week! So, I have read my books like 20 times over I like to read so much! P.S. Nice topic. I like it! /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Peace* Amy
I made this sig myself. feel free to PM me
if you would like me to make you one.

|Amy James Vision|Keeper of the Secrets|
|Chocolate Freak|Snape Hater|Harry Potter Lover|
Prof. Angelus Darklost
Silver Arrow

Post by Prof. Angelus Darklost »

On those weekends when I'm not working on something SCA related, Ican get through about two novels. When I'm doing SCA stuff, it's usually 1/2 of an SCA related text. *LOL*

But seriously, I buy at least 2-3 books every WEEKEND from Barnes & Noble until I have a stockpile and backlog of books to read. Right now, I've got five books on my nightstand to read before I can go shopping again. *heh*

And yes...I *am* a Ravenclaw...a TRUE book addict. *snickers*

By the way...when IS Hogwarts, A History coming out? Because I SOOO could use some light reading...*LOL*
"The monkey may be off your back, but that doesn't mean the circus has left town." -- George Carlin
Alianne Rutherford
No broom

Post by Alianne Rutherford »

Well, it varies. XD During the school year, I read one or two books a week (now that we have 30 minutes of DEAR every day, I read more). During the summer, it really depends on my mood. The first few weeks of summer, I read something like six books per week, but that's because I was reading a very good long series. Now I'm just cling to my computer and reading fanfiction. Does that count? XD
Isabella Astiar
No broom

Post by Isabella Astiar »

QUOTE Now I'm just cling to my computer and reading fanfiction. Does that count? XD[/quote]

If that counted, I'd totally be up there with millions of books to my name /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />
Isabella Astiar
Faye Laramie
Oakshaft 79

Post by Faye Laramie »

Per YEAR? I'm always reading a book... I probably read about 100 proper books a year, I guess -- one every couple of days, or several books a day in the summer when I have more time. It's almost horrible when I read, since I'll stop doing homework or whatever if I find something good. *g*

EDIT: by proper I meant, not manga or anything, and something more than 200 pages *g*
Last edited by Faye Laramie on Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glumbumble pie.
Regina Silverthread
No broom

Post by Regina Silverthread »

Well, that's fun! I really read a lot. Last week I updated my bookstore special price card to Gold Buyer- 500+ a year. I just love reading.
Hazel Kaprano
No broom

Post by Hazel Kaprano »

I know I read more books than I could count! I just go to the library and get 10-14 books! I sometimes bring them to school whenever I have free time and when I'm done with my homework, I read...or go on the computer, either one lol. But still, I would die if I didn't read something! /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />
Hazel Kaprano | Ravenclaw
Callisto di Baste
No broom

Post by Callisto di Baste »

Two to three books a day, not counting fanfiction.
Prof. Hermione Pena
No broom

Post by Prof. Hermione Pena »

Wow, and I thought I read a lot... I don't go through multiple books in a weekend, or even one a week usually during the school year. I think this past school year I read maybe 20 or so actual books, but the number would be much higher if I wasn't online so much. But much of the time I'm online, I'm reading various fanfics. I don't go to the bookstore or library too often, which would be another factor in my reading. When I get new books, I go through them fast, but then I slow down again.
Magic is the sun that makes a rainbow out of rain
Magic keeps the dream alive to try and try again
Magic is the love that stays when good friends have to leave
I do believe in magic, I believe
Hari O'Duibhleargain
No broom

Post by Hari O'Duibhleargain »

I used to read a lot more than I do, but then I started school and so I slowed down a bit, due to being busy /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> But I read a lot of books per year, way more than ten! I read at *least* three proper books for me (which means very few pictures if any, more than 200 pages, etc. Usually they're rather thick with rather small print) per month. In the summer I read more, about ten books a month perhaps? A few years ago I read thirty proper and semi-proper books in the month of July, but that was my high point, heh. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />
Hari O'Duibhleargain~an381
Narcia Bellamy
No broom

Post by Narcia Bellamy »

Unfortunately I get so few books read during the school year (yay university), that I had to say only around 7. When I graduate (next year! woot!), I'll finally be able to read for fun again!! So looking forward to that.

But, thinking about it, I know I've read much more than 7 books so far this year. Oh well! /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />
Prof. Hailey Potter
Silver Arrow

Post by Prof. Hailey Potter »

Ugh, ten or more. Definitely. Does that count manga books? If so, this far into the year, I've read at least 50.... without.... more than 25.
Gryffindor Professor|HOL 101, An Introduction to Divination, and Advanced Divination
Spice Squad Captain|Paw Print EiC|Lions' Pride
Prof. Rachel Selenia
Silver Arrow

Post by Prof. Rachel Selenia »

It depends on how much school work I have to do. But one year I know I read about a hundred books, and the year before I think I read even more. But last year I read maybe only about... 30? Yeah, something like that. But now I'm reading a lot again, so perhaps I will end up on 150+ books this year! /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />
Rachel Selenia || Hufflepuff || Professor Emeritus
Riona Carcaroth
No broom

Post by Riona Carcaroth »

hmm... I probably read around 3-4 books in a week during school time. I have to ride a bus to get to school and it usually takes an hour, so I have two hours every day in which I can read. Also I always have a book with me wherever I'm going. I even have one when I'm going out with a friend. You never now how long the bus-ride will take when you try to get home /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> (and yes, I don't have a license ;P)

Well, the weekends are free for reading of course and vacation is too. We have a lot of books at home because my parents read a lot too. My mother gets through a 500 pgs. book in around a day, so she always buys new books or borrows them from people she knows. This way I don't have to go to the library as often as I would have to otherwise. In my free periods at school, however, I usually go to the book-stores close to the school and look around, every once in a while buying one of the books.

Riona
Elandra Maerdyn
No broom

Post by Elandra Maerdyn »

Wow, I read over an hour each day (depending on how little or how much work I have), and I definately read waaaaaay over ten books a year! I buy one like...every other week if I can ^.^ My parents have so many though, that I often find myself reading theirs.

Depending on how long the book that I'm reading is (they're usually around 800-900 pages long) it can take me a week to finish one, though I can finish manga's in an hour. Eh, I don't suppose that those count however. Still, I consider myself an avid reader...totally addicted to literature!
Raevyn Lovel
No broom

Post by Raevyn Lovel »

Hrmm...Let's see.. I've finished about ten books in the last two weeks, which makes five books a week....fifty-two weeks in a year...Approximately 260 books a year.

Wow. I thought it'd be more...things like a job and my daughter tend to cut in on reading time.
Raevyn Lovel | ra503 | Image | Second Year | Quidditch Lover

Elski Brightwater
No broom

Post by Elski Brightwater »

Hmm... *calclates in head* I'd say, on average, two and a half books per two days, so 8.75 per week, so...

455 books a year.
" When writing a novel that's pretty much entirely what life turns into: 'House burned down. Car stolen. Cat exploded. Did 1500 easy words, so all in all it was a pretty good day.' "
- Neil Gaiman
Livia Taro
No broom

Post by Livia Taro »

I definitely read more than 10 books! But I dont know how many exactly. Elski@ WoW you read lots of books! I read probably like 1 a week!
Nikita Bedard
No broom

Post by Nikita Bedard »

ALOT!! like more than 2 a week.. it depends on if i have a new book i mostly just reread books ... like just this week ive read 1-4 of the harry potter series in 4 days.. now im going to re-read 5-6

Return to “Book Talk”