Which Book Series Is Your Fav.?

Non Harry Potter Book Discussion

Moderator: Prefects

Emillia Moonwhisp
No broom

Post by Emillia Moonwhisp »

Oh, come on! Don't any of you know the Gardians of Time series, by Marianne Curly? It is a great Science Fiction book for those of you who like the whole "never going to happen in real life" thing. But it also has adventure and battle, and some gore. But there is also the ongoing conflicts between each character. I hope she makes a fourth one, because right now there are only three: "The Named", "The Dark", and "The Key", all in that order. You have to read them if you liked Harry Potter (which means just about everyone on this site). /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />
"Spiders are making me tap-dance...but I don't want to tap-dance!"

We told you not to spoil Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Ron...*shakes head* Should have listened...for the spiders and your own good...

Tags:
Lialian Jakes
No broom

Post by Lialian Jakes »

Harry Potter is the best by far. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> It has all my faveorite things action and magic. My favorite book out of the series is The Order of the Phoenix. I can read it all the time. I've read every book at least two times.
1st year Gryffindor!
Bridget Chlum
No broom

Post by Bridget Chlum »

harry potter is my fav. book series of course
Thanks for the cool sig Ceri
wand: 10 1/2 inches from a fir tree, with a kraken beak core
Harry- So Light a fire!
Hermione- Yes-of course- but there's no wood!
Ron-HAVE YOU GONE MAD? ARE YOU A WITCH OR NOT?
Hermione-Oh, Right
Sean Cavenaugh
No broom

Post by Sean Cavenaugh »

I love the Harry Potter book series. My friends try to get me to read the Lord of the Rings book series, but I could barely stay away through the movies so I'm not going to attempt the books anytime soon.

However, there is a series of books written by this man about his childhood. There's four books in the series; A Child Called It, The Lost Boy, The Privilege of Youth, and A Man Named Dave. Books are a a true story written by Dave Pelzer. I read the first book my senior year in high school, and though it was extremely graphic which made it hard to read, (if you haven't read the book, you can't imagine the things this poor boy's mother put him through) I couldn't put it down.

The boy was removed from his mothers care eventually and put into foster care, and there is a book out now by his brother, Richard Pelzer about what his mother did to him after Dave was removed. I haven't read this one yet, so I'll have to make a mental note to keep an eye out for it.
Katie Potter
No broom

Post by Katie Potter »

Harry Potter!!!!! It's like the best series ever written. I'm also fond of an old series called Nancy Drew. I'm really attached to Harry Potter I've been reding it since 2nd Grade /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> Without the HP books, I don't know how i would live... lol. Being here is because of the HP books and without them, i wouldn't have been able to meet all of you people, and have fun, and a Harry Potter charecter.

~Katie Potter
Bridget Chlum
No broom

Post by Bridget Chlum »

i know i said that harry potter was my favourtie but i also love the sisterhood of the traveling pants series.

[COLOR=green wand 10 1/2 inches, from a fir tree, with a beak core]
Thanks for the cool sig Ceri
wand: 10 1/2 inches from a fir tree, with a kraken beak core
Harry- So Light a fire!
Hermione- Yes-of course- but there's no wood!
Ron-HAVE YOU GONE MAD? ARE YOU A WITCH OR NOT?
Hermione-Oh, Right
Andrew Mooney

Post by Andrew Mooney »

my favourite is of course harry potter. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />
Taylore Watson
No broom

Post by Taylore Watson »

Hazel Goldenrod wrote:Harry Potter is a close second, with Series of Unfortunate Events a close third, but my favourite series is Lord of the Rings. People think I'm crazy when I tell them I've read the books 5 times....
that's the same with me. Right now any ways. Except I don't really like the series of unfortunate events books. Mostly because my brother is totally obsessed with it. But Lord of the Rings is just a tiny bit over Harry Potter
Bev Grey
No broom

Post by Bev Grey »

I have a couple fav books. Eragon & eldest (unsure what the series is called), and CHildren of the Lamp series.

"I'd Rather Be Hated For Who I Am Then Loved For Who I Am Not"
Prof. Ceit Uiseag
No broom

Post by Prof. Ceit Uiseag »

I'm a great one for series, since I read voraciously and can start and finish a single book in a day, provided it's not over 600 or so pages /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> I really like to get my teeth into something epic.

My favourites:

Without doubt at the top has to come Stephen King's magnum opus - The Dark Tower series - seven books, different from King's usual work, but those of you who are fans of him will notice things being pulled in from the majority of his other books. It took him 30 years to write, and is without doubt his best, surpassing even The Stand, in my opinion.

Next is The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien. This is what I cut my literary teeth on at age 10 or 11, and I still read it frequently - obviously my grasp of it wasn't perfect the first time I read it, but it's been improving over the last 14 or so years, aided by the BBC radio series (if you've not listened to that, you should make every effort to!) and in a small way by the films. Having a LotR purist for a father helps too!

Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time is next, can we say epic? /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> Dom got me into these just under a year ago, and like all WoT fans, I'm now on the edge of my seat waiting for Knife of Dreams, the 11th in the main series, to be published. This series I find I have to read more slowly than I normally would, since the sheer number of interweavings, subplots and details make it impossible to race through - the pace of WoT is not as fast as some other books.

Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy took me pleasantly by surprise a few years ago, and like a few of you who've mentioned it here, I was reduced to tears in several places.

Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling - what list in this thread would be complete without that? It's all my parents' fault, for buying me the first three books (all that were out at the time), and from the first page, I was lost. I used to dream of going to boarding school; and being able to do magic? Well, I was sold, instantly. While not as evidently philosophical, J.K. Rowling is, like Philip Pullman, a 'children's' author who doesn't belittle her readership by steering clear of controversial subjects or making complex plots, and therefore makes the books just as enjoyable for adults as for children (even though the HP series was never intended as a childrens' series).

Raymond E. Feist is another good one for writing tons and tons of books, usually in trilogy format, and though the whole lot of them are technically not a series, I really enjoy those books of his set on Midkemia, starting with Magician and coming up to the latest, Flight of the Nighthawks, which I'm waiting for Dom to finish so I can start *g*
Last edited by Prof. Ceit Uiseag on Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>Become who you were born to be...</span>
Alexandria Faethorne
No broom

Post by Alexandria Faethorne »

The Harry Potter series is definately my favorite. I love reading the Harry Potter books, they're so amazing and wonderful. But I also like the Series of Unfortunate Events books, they're enjoyable to read as well. And every once in awhile I'll read a Fear Street book. I love all 3 series, but Harry Potter is definately my favorite and always will be.

Gabrielle Willowind
No broom

Post by Gabrielle Willowind »

I would have to say Phillip Pullman's 'His Dark Materials' trilogy.....they are amazing....anyone agree?

xxx Gabrielle xxx

edited excessive punctuation, Ceit
Last edited by Gabrielle Willowind on Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RON WEASLEY FOREVER !!
Lavendie Bregell
No broom

Post by Lavendie Bregell »

I don't remember if I have posted here...

Anyway,I agree with Gabrielle, His Dark Materials is amazing, although I've read only two first books because the third one isn't available in Estonian and the english version is sold out as I discovered yesterday. But I hope to find it in a bookshop and when I visit another country, I'll surely search for it, I cannot wait.

And Harry Potter books,my most worn out books- I've read each one of them, except the sixth, for about twenty times, so it's not surprising. My absolute favourites since I was seven!

Also, I'd point out the Chronicles of Narnia, I love these books nearly as much as Harry Potter and His Dark Materials.

The good series is also The Series of Unfortunate Events, I really enjoy Lemony Snicket's(or Daniel Handler's) writing style. Lord of the Rings was a bit hard for me when I first read it(I was eight years old), but now, almost four years have passed and I can understand these books and enjoy reading.

That's all from me, I guess, but of course I could mention many other series if I'd remember more.

Signature from the wonderful ID card shop!
Seren Edwards
No broom

Post by Seren Edwards »

I recently joined a book club and the first item I bought was the Mallory Towers box set. I know that I'm far too old for them, but they are so lovely and take me back in time,conjuring up many happy memories. They are totally over the top and rather 'posh', but I love them. They begin as Darell Rivers starts at Mallory Towers boarding school and just like HP books each new one is the next year of school. She has the normal troubles of being a new girl and lots of adventures along the way. Perfect if you love old fashioned Enid Blyton stories and I can't believe how lovely its been reading them again 26 years after the first time I did.
Also I ordered Dragonology but I'm still waiting for its delivery, it looks brilliant and I saw a post recently were someone said that there are a few types of these books. Maybe they will help with my Draconology homework /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />
Neia Black

Post by Neia Black »

Tolkien ones, LOTR, HP ones and Star Wars as well, whole fansasy for me, lol!!!
Lexi Lang
No broom

Post by Lexi Lang »

Hm...I don't think I can choose just one series, but I'd have to say that a few of my favorites are Harry Potter (of course!) Cirque Du Freak, and A Great and Terrible Beauty (which hasn't quite become a series yet, more like an original and a companion)
Willow Granger
No broom

Post by Willow Granger »

Here are a list of my faves:

Harry Potter, Boxcar children, Dear America, My Name is America, Julie of the wolves and it's sequels (I call them the Lady Werewolf books), and The Chronicles of Narnia, and Artemis Fowl. That's it, I think.
If I discover more faves, i'll edit this post.

Willow
Last edited by Willow Granger on Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter" ---Dr. Seuss
Rachel Baudelaire
No broom

Post by Rachel Baudelaire »

I just completed the CSI series *g* Geek am I! Fans of forensic science, try it out! It's really good *nods*
Charlotte Ashville
No broom

Post by Charlotte Ashville »

well HArry potter of course.. but i really love the chronicles of Narnia... and lately i've been reading the unfortunate events books.... love those..

thanks to Edison..

wand:7 3/4 inches from a sycamore tree, with a kraken beak core
Prof. Rorey Padfoot
Cleansweep Three

Post by Prof. Rorey Padfoot »

I have gone through so many books series as I've grow up, Boxcar children, Narnia, Babysitter's Club, Sweet Valley High, Harry Potter, and the list goes on. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> I have always loved to read since I was a kid! /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />
~Prof. Rorey Padfoot~*~Ravenclaw~

Return to “Book Talk”