Book Suggestions

Non Harry Potter Book Discussion

Moderator: Prefects

Prof. Silmarien Szilagyi
Oakshaft 79

Post by Prof. Silmarien Szilagyi »

I would recommend the following books/series:

1. Apprentice Adept by Piers Anthony: Piers Anthony mixes fantasy ans science fiction perfectly in this septology concerning the life and characters of magical world Phaze and scientific world Proton. Split Infinity, The Blue Adept, Juxtaposition, Out of Phaze, The Robot Adept, Unicorn Point, Phaze Doubt.

2. Gaea series by John Varley: A true science fiction set on a sentient world called Gaea that's ruled by a slightly nutso creator, also named Gaea. Varley takes Centaurs and gives them an interesting, albeit strange, twist. Warning for language and themes of violence and other stuff. Not meant for younger readers. >> Titan, Wizard, Demon.

3. Fablehaven by Brandon Mull: This juvenile/young adult series follows the Sorenson family and its friends as they fight to keep magical creatures safe and ultimately stop the evil Society of the Evening Star from opening the demon prison. Fantastic characters. Fablehaven, Rise of the Evening Star, The Shadow Plague, Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary, Keys to the Demon Prison.

4. Acorna by Anne McCaffrey: Everyone always talks about McCaffrey's Pern series, but Acorna is better, in my opinion. Being mostly science fiction, it does contain elements of fantasy, such as Acora, a Human-Unicorn hybrid. Follow Acorna in her journey to reconnect with her people, the Linyaari, and reclaim their planet from the malevolent Khleevii. Acorna the Unicorn Girl, Acorna's Quest, Acorna's People, Acorna's World, Acorna's Search, Acrona's Rebels, Acorna's Triumph.
Last edited by Prof. Silmarien Szilagyi on Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks Cassie Lobiesk!
Ravenclaw DHoH || Alte Editor || Sci-Fi Enthusiast

Tags:
North Ellwood
No broom

Post by North Ellwood »

I would definitely recommend the Pellinor series by Alison Croggon. These are very under rated stories. The storyline, the world (Edil Amarandh) and characters are beautiful, especially the tragic relationship between Hem and Zelika.

Other series' that I would recommend is His Dark Materials, the Black Magician Trilogy and the Chaos Walking Trilogy.
Eagle and PROUD

North Ellwood | First Year | no876 | RQT
Jessamine Quick
No broom

Post by Jessamine Quick »

If you like dystopic science fiction at all, I would definitely recommend Veracity by Laura Bynum. In it, a corrupt and brutal government subjugates people by stealing their words--literally; every citizen is implanted with a "slate," a device that monitors their speech for forbidden words, such as democracy, philosophy, empathy, etc., gives the speaker a nasty shock, and alerts the authorities about the infraction so they can send military-like enforcers to deliver worse punishments. It's the story of one highly-placed government official who begins to fight back. It's a thought-provoking, intelligent, and scary novel with a vivid protagonist and a lot to say about courage, apathy, and speaking up. (It's also very adult, with a lot of violence and some very mature topics, so it may be best for those 16 and up.)
Proud Hufflepuff
Go Spiffies! Badgers for the cup!
Lotte Wheeldon
No broom

Post by Lotte Wheeldon »

I would definitely recommend the Percy Jackson series, the Kane Chronicles and The Lost hero all written my Rick Riodian. Just awesome books...couldn't stop readeing them
Tsubasa Kuromiya
No broom

Post by Tsubasa Kuromiya »

Me too. I think the Percy Jackson series is quite an interesting read.

You can try Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (a good combination of fantasy and sci-fi), or The Gatekeepers/Power of Five series by Anthony Horowitz (though largely supernatural, but still worth reading).

If you're into action thrillers or mysteries, Young Bond, Young Sherlock Holmes, Alex Rider and Jimmy Coates are pretty good too.

...I just realized that most of the books I've listed are either children/YA. Well, they are much more appealing to me as compared to adult novels, I dunno why...
"There is no coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen."
Grace Black
No broom

Post by Grace Black »

The Inheritance Cycle: These are by Christopher Paolini and include teh books Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr and will soon have a fourth book out. I love these books and reccomend them if you like magic and action/adventure.

The Hunger Games: This is a triology by Suzane Collins. The books include The Hunger Games, Cathing Fire, and Mockingjay. I highly recoomend them as they have romance as well as a lot of action.

Percy Jackson and the Olympians: These books have Greek Mythology in the modern world. These books are by Rick Riordan. Altogether there are five in the sereis. The Lightning Theif, The Sea of Monsters, The Titans Curse, The Battle of the Laberinth, and The Last Olympian. They have a lot of action and adventure and I encourage you strongly to read them.

Also an assortment of books by David Clement-Davies, who is a truly gifted writer. All of these books have animals as main charactars, along with people. These books are brilliant and I hope you read them

~Firebringer

~The Telling Pool

~The Sight

and The Sight's sequl:

~Fell

Hope that helps :D
Last edited by Grace Black on Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Grace Black~
Proud to be a Gryffindor
Ashton Fargate
No broom

Post by Ashton Fargate »

Brittney Behr wrote:QUOTE (Brittney Behr @ Aug 4 2005, 11:16 AM) yo!does anyone like the artemis fowl books?they are like up there with harry potter! ^_^ i also suggest lord of the rings trilogy and the hobbit by tolkien! ;) B)

I'm already in love with the Artemis Fowl books. I've only read the first one and am in the beggining of the second, but trust me they are worth the read!
Ashton Fargate
No broom

Post by Ashton Fargate »

Ah books, I've read so many in 16 years that it's hard to remember them all ((I'm 19 btw)) but a few of my favorite are:

The Maximum Ride Sereies by James Patterson

The House of Night Series by P.C. Cast and her daughter Kristin Cast.

The Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

The Daniel X series by James Patterson

Grief Girl by Erin Vincent

The Immortals Series by Alyson Noel

The Face on the Milk Carton by Caroline B. Cooney ((The first one was really good, but after that they just get boring in my oppinion))

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

Fever 1793 by Laurie Halse Anderson

Midnight Predator by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes

Shattered Mirror by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes

Those are just a FEW of my favorites. I have loads more, but I didn't want everyone to get bored lol.
Serenity Ambrosia
No broom

Post by Serenity Ambrosia »

I've read a lot of books, and only a few come to mind that are fantastic!

1. Acheron by Sherrilyn Kenyon - This is a story about a God who is put into the womb of a queen, to ensure he is kept safe and treated fairly. Things don't quite turn out that way, and the journey is amazing. It eventually ends in modern times, as Acheron gets drunk on Sprite and ends up playing Viva Pinata.

2. Any book by Chuck Palhniuk - Now, you need to be of at least 16 to be reading these books, as most of them have subject matter for mature people, or adults. His stories range from creepy to "Wow, did that just really happen?" He is also the author of Fight Club, if that says anything about his stories.
Stephanie Sparklethorn
No broom

Post by Stephanie Sparklethorn »

My suggestions would be:
The Pendragon Series
The Hunger Games
May Bird trilogy
Lori Jack
No broom

Post by Lori Jack »

I don't know if they were already suggessted, but here are my favourites.

Joanne Harris, Chocolat - It tells the story of Vianne Rocher, a young mother, who arrives at French village of Lansquenet-sous-Tannes with her six-year-old daughter, Anouk. Vianne opens La Céleste Praline, a small chocolaterie, and her confections quickly begin to change the lives of the townspeople through magic, setting up a conflict with Francis Reynaud, the parish curate. (Film was also made by this book, JOHNNY DEPP!)

Michael Chricton, Jurrasic Park, The Lost World - Dinasours in the modern age...Need I say more? I like books much more than movies, though they were love as well.

There are also some others, but at the moment, they escape my mind.
Ivelisse Ada
Oakshaft 79

Post by Ivelisse Ada »

As Lori said, I haven't seen everything that's been suggested, but here're my "two cents":

I would highly recommend anything written by John Green.The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky is my favourite novel of all time, so I recommend that.It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini is a really interesting story about a boy struggling with mental health and stress, and I recommend that if you find yourself kind of drowning in all life has to offer.The Moral Instruments series, written by Cassandra Clare, is a wonderful fantasy/kind-of-sci-fi? set of stories.A Great and Terrible Beauty, Rebel Angels, and The Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray as well, if you like sort of magical schools and mysteries.Anything written by Cornelia Funke, I would also recommend.

I'll probably add to this list as I continue thinking of books I really enjoyed :lol:
Thank you to Prof. Kyrie Adderholt!!
Morpheus Styx
No broom

Post by Morpheus Styx »

I would suggest to anyone who loves super heros/ sci-fi or just a good read: The Quantom Prophecy.
"I will protect you with my life, all of you." -Kakashi Hatake
Amelia Redbloom
No broom

Post by Amelia Redbloom »

Ivelisse Ada wrote:QUOTE (Ivelisse Ada @ Mar 15 2012, 02:49 PM) A Great and Terrible Beauty, Rebel Angels, and The Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray as well, if you like sort of magical schools and mysteries.
I second this recommendation! So many late nights spent reading these books. They got a little weird towards the end - like many series, it stretched a little bit - but still very much worth the read. And I just love the name Gemma now. :P
Autumn Oakenshield
No broom

Post by Autumn Oakenshield »

This topic is very long and my recommendations have probably already been stated but the more recommendations the better yes?
My favourite books apart from Harry Potter are;

The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings - J.R.R. Tolkien

A Game of Thrones - George R.R. Martin (reading the second book now and I am so excited by the whole series)

The Merlin Conspiracy - Diana Wynne Jones

His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman

Artemis Fowl Series - Eoin Colfer

Ender's Game/Shadow Series - Orson Scott Card

Twilight Series - Stephenie Meyer (gave in at the beginning of this year and read them... loved them)

Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins (reading the second book now and it's brilliant)
Lave Anan
No broom

Post by Lave Anan »

Some books that I absolutely adore and what kept me sane after finishing Harry Potter would be the Percy Jackson series, but if you aren't interested in if you're into a teenage life would be anything by Ellen Hopkins.

Crank: It's about a girl who's smart and 'perfect'. But when she visits her dad she starts to do drugs. It's really interesting!

Or maybe you would like a book that has mythology in it, if you do Percy Jackson and Throne of Fire is good! Also, books like 'Abandon' by Meg Cabot is a great book!
Abandon is about a girl named Pierce who has died before, she returned to her life but she doesn't feel part of the world. It may sound a but boring from how I'm explaining the book but there is some romance in it (; if you finish that book, Meg Cabot has another book after Abandon called 'Underworld'. I read Underworld first when I didn't know that there was Abandon, and I loved it! But a few parts were missing in my mind because I didn't read the first one. But it's great! they kind of fill you in, but not with a lot of detail compared to reading the first book.

If you want some horror in your life you can read 'V.C. Andrews' he's a great writer! Or maybe Darren Shan. He has short books but he's a brilliant writer! I hope it helps!
Hope Campbell
No broom

Post by Hope Campbell »

Oooo....definitely gonna have to do a library run...Thanks for all the great suggestions. My are

Gone Girl-by Gillian Flynn

The Alchemist-by Paulo Coelho

Anything by Brian Jaques
Hope Davis

"There is no frigate like a book, to take us lands away..." ~Emily Dickenson

"Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: "What! You too? I thought I was the only one.â€￾ ~ C.S. Lewis
Bia Rodrigues
No broom

Post by Bia Rodrigues »

I read The Alchemist and it helped me to make a decision in life. ^^
Hope Davis wrote:QUOTE (Hope Davis @ Jan 26 2013, 12:50 PM) Oooo....definitely gonna have to do a library run...Thanks for all the great suggestions. My are

Gone Girl-by Gillian Flynn

The Alchemist-by Paulo Coelho

Anything by Brian Jaques
"Where they are just and loyal, those patient Hufflepuffs are true and unafraid of toil"
Eira Aolani
No broom

Post by Eira Aolani »

I just finished a couple of wonderful books whilst on vacation. I absolutely adored "The Rook" by Daniel O'Malley. I believe the cover described it as a sort of supernaturla James Bond. It follows a woman who wakes up in a park with absolutely no idea who she is or how she got there, but she finds letters from a mysterious woman named Myfanwy who claims to be the previous "owner" of the body she currently woke up in.

And if you're looking for some great horror books that specifically center around serial killers, check out anything by J. A. Konrath and Blake Crouch. Be warned though- they're very graphic and definitely adult oriented.
Sorcha Whitecliffe
No broom

Post by Sorcha Whitecliffe »

"Anthem" by Ayn Rand. Excellent.

Return to “Book Talk”