Week 2 - HOL Anthology

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Sky Alton
Twigger 90

Week 2 - HOL Anthology

Post by Prof. Sky Alton »

Poetry anthologies are collections of poems, usually written by several different people. They’re often themed, so you might have an anthology all about love or one comprised of poems from people who have something in common, such as the country where they live.

Let’s build an anthology of our own for HOL. Nominate a poem or a song with lyrics that you think should be included - it should be a poem or song that reminds you of HOL in some way, whether that’s because it’s about magic, friendship, learning or something else. Please keep your choices suitable for all ages.

Tell us about the poem/song: what it’s called, who wrote it and why you think it belongs in a HOL poetry anthology. Your response needs to be 80 words for full credit. Feel free to quote from your chosen poem/song but make sure you include at least 80 words of your own too.

Post your nominations below by 23:59 HOL-time on the 20th of August to earn 20 beans!
"Growing up doesn't have to mean I lose the cape, the faith, the dream. I'm so done with that... I'm taking it back."
(Av/sig by S. Elf)
Janne Halla
Oakshaft 79

Re: Week 2 - HOL Anthology

Post by Janne Halla »

It might sound strange, but one poem I think fits rather well with the whole HOL theme is The Road Goes Ever On, originally written by J.R.R. Tolkien, and fictionally by Bilbo Baggins in The Hobbit and later in The Lord of the Rings book series.

I think it shows how a person goes through a life cycle at HOL, they wander in, 'get lost', and see caves, streams, and snow, which could all be metaphors for different parts of HOL. Even the 'fire, sword and horror' could mean some strife they'd get to in their journey at HOL.

But, the person learns, grows, hopefully becomes better for it and the 'road' will eventually return them home.
Dibyarup James Potter
Oakshaft 79

Post by Dibyarup James Potter »

For the HOL Anthology, I would like to nominate "A Time to Talk" written by Robert Frost. It's a short yet profound poem that touches on the essence of friendship and the value of taking time out for meaningful connections. In the poem, Frost uses a simple encounter with a neighbour as a metaphor for the opportunities we have to engage with friends and loved ones. The poem gently reminds us of the importance of seizing the moments for conversation and companionship, which resonates with the spirit of HOL as a platform where Potterheads gather to discuss and share their love for not just Harry Potter and the Wizarding World but also poetry, painting, graphics, story-writing and so much more.

As we appreciate the beauty of Frost's verses, we are reminded of the magic found in genuine connections, and how HOL offers a space for Potterheads to form cherished friendships while celebrating the enchanting world of Hogwarts.
1st Yr. Gryffindor with an aptitude for Charms, PotionsDADA | Aspiring Auror
Anne-Marie Gagne

Post by Anne-Marie Gagne »

There’s a poem by an anonymous author titled “Always Finish”. It’s my favorite poem and I feel it is a good motivator for fellow students at HOL. It’s a very short poem (only four lines) but its point was very easily made in those four lines. It helped me get through high school projects and I had written it on a piece of paper that I taped to my wall in my room as a way to always see it (though I did have . It really points out that when you do anything (like joining a class on here or even just personal projects) that you should give it your best and put effort in and if you don't want to do the effort, to not waste yours or anyone else's time on not doing it properly.

Here's the poem:

"If a task is once begun
Never leave it till it's done.
Be the labor great or small,
Do it well or not at all."

Return to “Summer Poetry Festival”