Eurovision 2019

Music Discussions Go Here
Adaleine Shuster
Oakshaft 79

Eurovision 2019

Post by Adaleine Shuster » Sun May 19, 2019 11:43 pm

For those of you who don't know, the Eurovision was held May 18, 2019 (Well, the finals were). It was held in Tel Aviv, Israel. In the end the Netherlands won. The UK came in last, which I found kind of disappointing. Last year they came in 24th place. Both years I thought that their songs were pretty good. I myself am American, and I had never heard of Eurovision until last year. The song that won, Arcade, was pretty good! Last year Israel won with the song "TOY", but this year they came in 23rd. I have found that this is a pattern. They win one year, and come in one of the last places the next year. I wonder why that is? In my opinion Israel's song this year, Home, was not great. Did you see the Eurovision? What did you think?
Made by my Secret Elf- Thank you!!
Sky Alton
Cleansweep Two

Re: Eurovision 2019

Post by Sky Alton » Mon May 20, 2019 11:16 am

I always watch and I know quite a few HOLers do as well. I thought the Netherland's song was good, though not quite exciting or unique enough to be a true Eurovision song for me; it felt like something that would top the ordinary charts whereas Eurovision is usually a bit more unusual. The UK didn't deserve to come absolute bottom: our song wasn't that distinguished but I think our performer did a really good job.

My favourites were Norway and Denmark :D
"Does the Walker choose the path or the path the walker?" -Garth Nix
(Av/sig by S. Elf)
Maxim Trevelyan
Comet 140

Re: Eurovision 2019

Post by Maxim Trevelyan » Mon May 20, 2019 11:39 am

*high fives Sky* Denmark and Norway for the win! :lol: Although I wish the bald guy with a deep voice would have sung the entirety of Norway's song. He was so good!

I have been religiously watching Eurovision ever since I moved to Europe, but I also caught it before from time to time. I always liked the idea of it and how countries come together and just enjoy three evenings of music.

I think that Big Five and the winner often come in last places or they are not as well placed as last year (with interestingly Italy being the exception most of the time) because they are guaranteed the final. All the rest have to compete in semi-finals and have to "earn" the final, so I think those countries feel safe in a way and do not care much to pick a "good", or better yet a "distinguished", song. Germany is guilty of that as well (in my opinion, our song was horrible this year) and this year we were the only country to get 0 points from people's vote. :lol: I have no idea if that hurt more or the possibility of being in the last place.

UK definitely did not deserve the last place (*cough* Germany did *cough*). I really liked the song and I personally think it was better than what they had in previous years.

As for the winner...I do not care much for it. It is a pretty generic, slow, tug-at-heartstrings song with a good looking singer with a good voice. At the end I was rooting for Sweden just so we could have another Stockholm/Malmo Eurovision with Petra Mede.

Return to “Music Talk”