All About Lyrics

Music Discussions Go Here

Moderator: Prefects

Prof. Kendra Givens
Silver Arrow

All About Lyrics

Post by Prof. Kendra Givens »

While the music might get you into a song, I think the lyrics are ultimately what keep you with it. What is a particular song lyric or chorus that speaks to you? If you feel comfortable sharing why, please do! Please remember to select lyrics in English that have HOL appropriate content and language.

These lyrics are from "Carry On" by F.U.N:
"If you're lost and alone, or you're sinking like a stone, carry on"

This particular refrain speaks to me because it’s my reminder that when times get tough, I can keep going. I’m not at a low point right now I can assure you, but we all have them at some point or another.

Now it’s your turn…what’s your song lyric?

Tags:
Prof. Sky Alton
Twigger 90

Re: All About Lyrics

Post by Prof. Sky Alton »

Mine is similar to yours, Kendra. I listen to Rachel Platten's 'Fight Song' a lot simply because the words make me feel invincible and self assured. I love the whole song for it's lyrics but I guess the most important part is:

'My powers turned on: starting right now I'll be strong. I'll play my fight song and I don't really care if nobody else believes, cause I've still got a lot of fight left in me'
"Growing up doesn't have to mean I lose the cape, the faith, the dream. I'm so done with that... I'm taking it back."
(Av/sig by S. Elf)
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

A 'theme song' which I really really like (and would hear in my head when I'd finally crest the top of a killer hill and I'm prancing around waving my arms in the air ...) - the Rocky (1976) Original Theme Song.

There are not many words to it -- but they enhance the song.

Trying hard now
It's so hard now
Trying hard now

Getting strong now
Won't be long now
Getting strong now

Gonna fly now
Flying high now
Gonna fly, fly, fly...
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Gail Allen
Cleansweep One

Post by Gail Allen »

This is from a musical called Children of Eden, and this is part of the song "Close to home"

On this barren plot
We'll plant our wheat and dig our well
And we'll be a family
Steady as a star
Look at what we've got
Only what we've made ourselves
Though it's next to nothing
Look how rich we are

It really strikes a chord for me. Times can get tough. Really tough. But sticking together as a family and working together to get through it helps so much it is hard to overvalue it. It reminds me of the times my own family has helped me through things I couldn't have managed nearly as well on my own.
Maxwell Shadow
Cleansweep One

Post by Maxwell Shadow »

I recently had to choose the music that will be playing while I'm signing the marriage register and since the registrars insist on no religious content the lyrics are really important. One song that I've loved for years is by Fyfe Dangerfield called Livewire. It's a beautiful acoustic track played on guitar so while the guests will probably only hear that, I really like the lyrics, even if they're not entirely the happy ones you would expect at a wedding:

Livewire, your life is in the fire
You got everything to play for
1-1, half time
Livewire, the world is yours to hire
We got everything to live for
Don't kick it all the time
Slytherin forever
Shiloh Adlar
Cleansweep One

Post by Shiloh Adlar »

I have quite a few that speak to me actually, but one of the songs that was given to me by someone else is Skyscraper. Actually Skyscraper and Warrior both, but Skyscraper has been a favorite song of mine for a while, both by Demi Lovato.

Some of the lyrics that I really like are "All my windows still are broken/But I'm standing on my feet" and "Go on and try to tear me down/I will be rising from the ground"

One of the reasons this song was given to me was the first lyric. I've been through a lot of major traumas in my life, one of them being my brother who was killed the year before I joined HOL. What I like about this lyric is that it's still really difficult to deal with him being gone, but I am getting through it, the same as the other traumas I've experienced. Although they still impact me, I'm not letting them control my life anymore. As far as the second lyric, I really liked this one because I was bullied in school, and I didn't have any friends except maybe one or two at the academy, if I could even call them friends. I always had people calling me names and trying to make me feel less than as a person, but since I've left high school, although things have gone up and down, they are mostly going up. I'm continuing to better myself as a person and in doing so, I'm rising above all of that.

The song is empowering and makes me feel like I'm not alone and that I can move past what has happened to me.
Shiloh Adlar, Seventh Year
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire
Austin Ollivander Black
No broom

Post by Austin Ollivander Black »

The two that have spoken most to me are not ones that helped me get through problems in my life. While I do have those the ones I am choosing quite eerily speak to me like I feel them. they both give me chills and I feel like I go somewhere else.

The first is Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald by Gordon Lightfoot .
The second is Call of the Mountain by Eluveitie.
Image RQT 2017/18
Vanessa Tilley
Silver Arrow

Post by Vanessa Tilley »

There are so many wonderful songs out there and so many lyrics speak to me but one particular song that is near and dear to my heart now is "Drops of Jupiter" by Train. Since losing my mom, I have found comfort in the lyrics of this song and I can imagine my mother exploring all the vastness of space since she loved astronomy and shared that love with me.

Siggy and avatar made by the wonderful Professor Scarlet for Slythmas! :wub:

Return to “Music Talk”