Movies!

Discuss Movies in This Forum

Moderator: Prefects

Shadow Diggory
No broom

Post by Shadow Diggory »

My all-time favorite is The Shawshank Redemption.

Followed by LotR: Fellowship of the Ring, The Matrix, Star Wars original trilogy, Casablanca, Memento, A Clockwork Orange, Braveheart, all movies by Kevin Smith (Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy, Dogma, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back), Pulp Fiction, The Usual Suspects, Fight Club and the list goes on....

I recomend any of these films worth watching, of course respecting the rating in your countries. For ratings, check http://www.imdb.com
Shadow Diggory | sh051 | Fifth Year | Hufflepuff | Purple Pineapple | Brazil

Tags:
Sir Psycho Flea
Oakshaft 79

Post by Sir Psycho Flea »

Shadow Diggory wrote:My all-time favorite is The Shawshank Redemption.

Followed by LotR: Fellowship of the Ring, The Matrix, Star Wars original trilogy, Casablanca, Memento, A Clockwork Orange, Braveheart, all movies by Kevin Smith (Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy, Dogma, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back), Pulp Fiction, The Usual Suspects, Fight Club and the list goes on....

I recomend any of these films worth watching, of course respecting the rating in your countries. For ratings, check http://www.imdb.com
Wow, Shadow!
Our lists are very similar!
Though Rocky IV is the tops on my list, followed by I-III in no order.
Then Braveheart and LotR.
I also love (in no order) The Shawshank Redemption, Memento, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, Fight Club, The Matrix, Jaws, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Dumb and Dumber, Star Wars 4-6, The Waterboy, Happy Gilmore, Forest Gump, Along Came a Spider, and many many more.
Bbye.
Prof. Artimus Zeln
No broom

Post by Prof. Artimus Zeln »

Cassandra, I hate the HP movie. It was down-right rotten. The visuals were decent and a few of the adults, but the rest stunk. Especially emotionless Daniel Radcliffe and the worst special effect of the year - unicorn's blood.
Cookies.
Mila Charity Abbott
No broom

Post by Mila Charity Abbott »

i love any kind of movie....

A walk to remember
grease
harry potter
the house of haunted hill
the faculty ...in honor of elijah wood /wub.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wub:" border="0" alt="wub.gif" />
lord of the rings
valentine
spiderman
ohh....and i also like the disney movies
movies on BBC America are cool too
The Mummy Returns

are just a few of the movies i like. horror is the best tho. sappy movies get me all sick. lol. jk.

mila /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />
signature picture done by Piper Thorne

"Find out who you are, and do it on purpose."
Gryffindor!!........proud member of the HOL Tolkien Society and HOL Book Club
Angelina Osbourne
No broom

Post by Angelina Osbourne »

My favs are: LotR, the Crow, Interview with the vampire (sorry that I taped over half, Zerah!!!) Dogma, HP, Blade, X-men, the Matrix...um Austin Powers is fun, Monty python also, both MiB...annnnnd, can't think of more...
I also liked the ten or so minutes of House on Haunted hill that James Marsters was in /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />
I have to see Fight Club, it sounds like such an...educating movie /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />
And I absulutely HATE war-movies!!! /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="<_<" border="0" alt="dry.gif" />
I like all the SW-movies except the last one, it was way too mushy for my taste! But Christopher Lee was great though, he's one of my fav actors
*whom do you serve - SARUMAN!!!!!!!!!*
Angelina Osbourne | an311 | Slytherin Prefect | Hunter Slyth
Aaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiissssssssssuuuuuuhhhhhhhssssssssss!
Go to bed, Jim!!! *g*
Selena Astralis
No broom

Post by Selena Astralis »

Hmm...
I like Velvet Goldmine, yes.
And also..the Crucible (made me cry),
Newsies
Lord of the Rings
Minority Report
What Lies Beneath
The Counte of Monte Cristo
The Patriot
Queen of the Damned
Monty Python. Hee.
Prolly the Omega Code too.
And..uhm. That's all I can think of.
Glerf |Gryffindor - Home of the Lions | Appleby Arrows | se001
Hope unknown, sometimes just waking is surreal.
-E.
Amelie Felton
No broom

Post by Amelie Felton »

Selena Astralis wrote:And also..the Crucible (made me cry)
SQUEE! I was in my school's production of "The Crucible" last year. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />
I was Betty. (Mostly because I'm pretty small.) I spent most of my time screaming or lying in a bed. It was my most relaxing role...I was a schizophrenic pyromaniacal (is that a word?) convict. XD

I don't have any favorites in particular, but I really like Harry Potter, LotR, Monty Python and ooh! Anything from MEL BROOKS! /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />
Amelie Felton | am310 | Gryffindor
Signature image made by Amatsu Tenrai
Prof. Artimus Zeln
No broom

Post by Prof. Artimus Zeln »

My absolute favorite is Almost Famous.
Cookies.
Linnea Huse
No broom

Post by Linnea Huse »

ooohh these are alwayz fun,

Top Gun
Star Wars
Save the Last Dance
chick flicks ya know
luv alwayz,
*~Linnea Huse~*
QUOTE "Remember, the ones we love never really leave us."Â ~Gary Oldman as Sirius Black PoA~[/quote]
I'm in some Sirius denial
Sir Psycho Flea
Oakshaft 79

Post by Sir Psycho Flea »

Prof. Artimus Zeln wrote:Cassandra, I hate the HP movie. It was down-right rotten. The visuals were decent and a few of the adults, but the rest stunk. Especially emotionless Daniel Radcliffe and the worst special effect of the year - unicorn's blood.
amen, Zeln.
Exactly what I say when people ask me about it.
Bbye.
Daisy Diggory
No broom

Post by Daisy Diggory »

Well, my favorite movies are The Matrix, LOTR, and especially Harry Potter.. I Love to watch fantasy movies, horror, and Action, but I dont like drama that kind of movie makes me cry...
Shadow Diggory
No broom

Post by Shadow Diggory »

I think the best movies are the ones that make you cry (yes, I can cry), or have a big plot twist or non-stop action (hehe)

Flea, excellent taste you have /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> I have Rocky I in DVD, my personal favorite, followed by Rocky III (Mr. T!! - who remembers "The A Team"? - ok, a little off-topic here, sorry /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />)
Shadow Diggory | sh051 | Fifth Year | Hufflepuff | Purple Pineapple | Brazil
Amatsu Tenrai
No broom

Post by Amatsu Tenrai »

Ok, I guess the "best of the best of the best" for me would have to be... Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi (Sorry, I just felt that this movie was just awesome!), Mononoke, HP, LOTR, me quote up there from MIB (the first one).... and oh yes, "Better a silly girl with a flower than a silly boy with a horse and a stick!" "Hello, it's called a laaance...".. LoL A Knight's Tale
RAVENCLAW - SECOND YEAR - am302
Great to be back!
Andromache Eetionades

Post by Andromache Eetionades »

I must agree with Elizabeth Granger, Flea, and Prof. Zeln. I was really disappointed with the HP movie. The books are so much better. So why am I gonna go see CoS? Probably just for the duelling and the Chamber itself.

Shadow and Flea, I thought The Shawshank Redemption and Memento were excellent, too. How could I forget those? Memento just blew me away...The ending was such a kicker. Made me think, and I felt sad. A realistic ending with a shocking surprise. I found it hard to follow at first because of the format going in flashbacks and yet going forward at the same time, but it was a brilliant way to keep you guessing, thinking one of the characters was a bad guy. At least, I thought so. Well-crafted movie.
Gregory Potter
No broom

Post by Gregory Potter »

I like a lot of movies... LOTR, SW (excluding 1), etc...

And, of course, anything Disney /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
Anne Marie Granger

Post by Anne Marie Granger »

Here are my all time favorite. If you haven't seen those already, go straight to rent it! I couldn't tell you, of all these, wich is my favorite. They are all so great!

American movies:
Cape Fear (1991)
A River Runs Through It (1992)
The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
The Usual Suspects (1995)
The Game (1997)
MIB (1997)
The Fifth Element (1997)
The 6th Sense (1999)
Memento (2000)
Moulin Rouge! (2001)

French movies:
Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulin (2001 - The Fabulous Destiny of Amélie Poulin)
Le dîner de con (1998 - The Dinner Game)
Taxi I and II (1998 and 2000)

Italian movie:
La vita è bella (1997 - Life Is Beautiful)

Quebec movie:
Le violon rouge (1998 - The Red Violin)

German movie:
Lola rennt (1998 - Lola Runs)
Aferie Bobalynski
No broom

Post by Aferie Bobalynski »

ummm legally blonde and moulin rouge and spiderman /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />
[color=FF55FF] ~ If practice makes perfect and nobody is perfect then why practice?~
~ The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and to be loved in return ~
~ Whoever said that orange was the new pink was seriously disturbed ~[/color]

Post by Guest »

Oh oh oh! I love movies!

I love so many...lets see...

In no particular order:

The Mask of Zorro
Ever After
Anne of Green Gables (one and two..NOT three. What a nightmare!)
Hook (John Williams is awesome! So is Robin Williams...lol...)
Harry Potter
Star Wars
A Walk to Remember...

So many...

Mani
Fay Lloyd
No broom

Post by Fay Lloyd »

that's a hard question, there are sooo many good movies.
but here are a few who pop into my mind.

star trek V - the voyage home
star trek IX - resurrection
moulin rouge
batman&robin
fried green tomatoes
5th element

and i have a soft spot for british films
Fay Lloyd, fa301, Hufflepuff

illusion is the first of all pleasures. (oscar wilde)
Holly Lawrence

Post by Holly Lawrence »

I love old movies--from the 30's, 40's and 50's.

*Musicals--from the 30's through the 60's (Sound of Music, My Fair Lady, Oklahoma, South Pacific, King and I, Mary Poppins, West Side Story, Meet Me in St. Louis, Singing in the Rain, White Christmas, Wizard of Oz and on and on)
*Disney movies (almost all of them)
*Gone with the Wind (both the book and the movie are excellent, and in a class by themselves)
*Hitchcock movies (much better than the recent slasher movies that are supposed to be scary--they are just disgusting)
*Star Wars (esp. the first ones)
*Indiana Jones (all--and there will be a 4th one in a couple of years--yay!)
*Romancing the Stone (I've ridden on a bus like that and walked on trails like that)
*American Graffiti
*An Affair to Remember
*Mr. Holland's Opus
*A Man Called Peter
*the older war movies--Patton, The Longest Day, Tora!Tora!Tora!, Midway, From Here to Eternity--there were some really good ones, before they decided they had to show killing in slow motion with all the gore (I hated Private Ryan)
*Doris Day movies--they were cute and sweet and just fun
*Cary Grant movies--hilarious
*To Kill a Mockingbird--excellent book also
*Anne of Green Gables (great books too)
*and of course--Harry Potter and Fellowship of the Ring

I've found that books are usually better than the movies, just because they give you more detail and you can see it with your own imagination, not someone else's. Also--it's hard to put everything in a movie--for a book that has a lot, it would mean having the movie last for 6 to 10 hours.

*Roots was done that way--as a miniseries on TV (exellent) and they still left some things out. It happens when you try to change from print to the big screen.

Return to “Movie Talk”