Module #4 - "MINGLING" - Spring 2021

Class led by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc

Moderator: Prof. Sindor Aloyarc

Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
Comet 140

Module #4 - "MINGLING" - Spring 2021

Post by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc »

Welcome to the Module 04 "Mingling" thread! This is about getting to interact with one another as classmates, particularly about themes from the lesson and your corresponding class work if that speaks to you. Those who post their Monologue or Manifestation may provide helpful prompts for discussion points. While you're welcome to mingle as much as you like, each of your first three 50+ word posts you will receive 5 points. When submitting your work, please let me know if you've posted once, twice, or three (or more) times so I can confirm participation. As a fun option, you may choose to Role-Play these interactions though are not required to. If you do, please take a look at this RPGuidelines page for some helpful tips.

In preparing for this month's Mingling session, Professor Sindor can't get the phrase 'May the fourth be with you' out of his head.

Neither a die-hard fan nor necessarily by any means a non-fan of the Star Wars world, he'd consider himself relatively and neutrally entertained by the franchise over time, and always a little bit tickled once a year when May 4th comes around and people start busting out this phrase in reference to the classic line 'May the Force be with you.'

"Welcome to May, everyone!" Sin smiles around after chit-chatting with Carrie prior to the group milling in. "You'll notice their are toy light sabers on each of your desks," he swings his violet one toward Miss Warts' to demonstrate the *zjuummmm-wsshhh!* sounds of the saber's swishing, and action sounds when hit together.

"For those of you who may not be familiar with these concepts, please do a little research if or as desired, otherwise it can be noted that in many ways one could argue that there is a direct corollation to the Power of Love we've covered this month and what one might consider the same 'Force' related in Star Wars. I'm curious to hear some of your thoughts on that comparison, or the force in general, and/or to perhaps choose one of your favorite muggle movies or television series where you could draw a connection to where 'the force' and/or 'love' in the context of our lesson or your own perspective is highlighted in a way that may leave you feeling compelled to share with the group."

Sindor pauses, a moment of forlorn whimsy washes over his face.

"It's only now occurring to me how fitting this is as well in alignment with remembering Polaris Black. Last year I was fortunate enough to have an opportunity to get involved with the Jedi Apprentice Training activity organized by Gail Allen and Alexander Brighton. Beyond being a most fun and excellent time, it was probably the first chance I had to really feel like I was getting to know who Polaris was, seeing how she tackled the different postings and tasks."

Prof. Aloyarc grins, remembering how much it seemed like everyone enjoyed that activity, which was a huge part of what inspired and encouraged him to start working on presenting activities himself alongside others. This reflection makes him so grateful, not only for Gail and Alex, but also people like Polaris, and Emily Spencer who Sin remembers starting to get to know at the time, and reconnecting with Prof. Tarma Amelia Black.

"Because this lesson, at it's heart, is in so many ways dedicated to the memory of Polaris, please also feel welcome to share either special memories of her, or your own experience with loving and losing. Whether it's a person, a place, or something you cherish otherwise."
Deputy Headmaster | Deputy Head of Ravenclaw
"⁠—Starry, starry night. Paint your palette blue & grey."
Prof. Will Lestrange
Shooting Star

Re: Module #4 - "MINGLING" - Spring 2021

Post by Prof. Will Lestrange »

Arriving for the month's lesson at a desk with a black "light saber" on it, Will finds himself overwhelmed at all the topics Sindor had mentioned to introduce the class discussion for the month. But before he can think of any Muggle movie which really expresses love the way he would like, the last thing Sindor had said starts to resonate.

"I remember that Polaris had joined HOL a mere two weeks after I did, " he remembers. "For a while I considered her to be the 'flip side' to myself, as we had managed to find very different places to shine in the school... but, sadly, I never really got to know her nearly as well as I would have liked. But I did enjoy participating in her activities: including getting the chance to be named as 'Mx Slytherin' in 2018 and finally getting to work with her as a HOLLERS assistant during our final student year." A tear slides down his eye as he remembers his graduation ceremony last year, where Polaris had received an honorary degree. "What I remember most about her, though, " Will finishes, "is how much love she put into everything here at HOL - and the school was lucky to have her for the seven years that our paths overlapped!"
Iverian Gnash
Cleansweep One

Post by Iverian Gnash »

Ivey liked the idea of The Force being with you to be somehow connected to love. Just like we say, “Hello, how are you?” on impulse when passing someone in public, the force is with you is similar. It comes from a place of love and respect for humans. It might be something automatic, but we wouldn’t bother to say it to someone we don’t respect.

Ivey hadn’t known Polaris very well, but certainly knew the impact she had on everyone. Even though she wasn’t close to her, it certainly left a hole there that shouldn’t have been because of the suddenness. Polaris always exemplified love in every conversation she had had with her, and this lesson is so closely tied into who she is.
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. - Dalai Lama
Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
Comet 140

“Well said, Will!” Sin smiles and nods, “Polaris was a gift. I’m happy to say I got to meet her, however briefly our lives wound up intersecting.”

He begins twirling his light saber around playfully, reveling in the sounds, then winking at Ivey as he enjoys her thoughtful expression.
Prof. Will Lestrange
Shooting Star

Watching Sindor twirl his light saber, Will tries to replicate the movement. Recalling what Ivey had said, Will responds: "I never really thought about the Force as love, but I suppose this gives me something to think about." Trying to think further, Will continues: "But then again, I was never really satisfied by the way most Muggle movies portray love. While they do well at showing the thrill of a romantic chase, too often the movie ends when the chase ends and does not get the chance to show the love that sustains a relationship beyond the chase phase. Maybe because pursuit is more exciting to watch on the big screen than a love that actually lasts?"
Carrie Warts
No broom

Post by Carrie Warts »

After the chat Carrie and Sin had, she started to pull her hair into two buns on each side of her head like Princess Leia.
"I am indeed a huge Starwars fan, I watch it with my father every time, we know almost every character and can quote the movies, so May 4th is a particularly special day for us, but more than the movies, it's special because we don't have much in common and this bind us, I guess that's also why we love Starwars"
After that she heard everything Prof. Sindor said, especially about Polaris, whom she never had the pleasure of meeting, but hearing him and Will talk about her makes her feel like she was part of her as well.
After hearing the last thing Will said Carrie reacted: "Right!? What's up with that?! Love is quite complex and for me, there isn't just one type of love or one way of showing it. Sadly movies leave us thinking that there is a certain type of love we should thrive for. Like the girl always goes for the bad guy or the guy goes for the really shy girl, but they always feel far from reality..."
Carrie starts getting lost in her own thoughts and gets caught up looking at Sin and Will twirling with their sabers...
Thank you Ivey for my lovely first Siggy <3
Prof. Will Lestrange
Shooting Star

Continuing to play with his black light saber, Will listens to Carrie and thinks a bit more. "Maybe the reason that movies portray love the way they do is that movie directors are looking for scenes that people find interesting to see... and what you want to watch could easily be very different from how you want to live," he begins. Reflecting further, he continues, "For example, many people enjoy watching horror movies - but I can't think of anyone I know who would want to experience one in real life!"
Iverian Gnash
Cleansweep One

Post by Iverian Gnash »

Ivey listens to everyone’s opinions and agrees with Will. “That’s a good point! It is true that people tend to watch things they enjoy without actually wanting to live like that. For instance, many people enjoy crime shows, but it doesn’t mean they want to be in that situation.”

Thinking further, Ivey reflected on what Will had said earlier. “I see a lot of romance movies, but they’re never about forever love, only about the beginning as you said. It’d be nice to get more representation for lasting love especially with how relationships aren’t lasting as long anymore.”
Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
Comet 140

“Long-standing love,” Sin says in response to the conversation about romance in the media, “always reminds me of little kids who take for granted that their parents love them so much that they’ll become their worst, whiniest version of themselves without even thinking about it”

He smirks, “I’m thinking of the little Muggle boy I used to nanny for, Jack, whose mother would spoil him rotten. As much as he loved her, she was also one of the only people he would be mean and grumpy around. Barking demands at her where he was normally so incredibly sweet and gentle around anybody else, even when he wasn’t pleased or getting his way.”

Sindor stares at his saber for a moment, it shining hue reflects a purplish tinge in his blue eyes. “Romance can be like that.” He’s smiling, but the corners of his mouth twitch down slightly thinking about previous losses, and the ones he’s most afraid to come someday.

“I’ve heard many people imply that their perfect match is supposed to only bring out the best in them (and goodness knows we hope this to be true, at least upon first thinking about it), however,” he inhales slowly, “the truth is we take so much out on the people we’re closest to, even without fully realizing it. The ones we’re familiar with, who we feel love us enough and allow us to push the boundaries of our demons being released without running away.”

Professor Aloyarc walks over to set his light saber down on the desk at the front of the room. Turning around, he sits and stares out at the class.

“It is those darkest parts of ourselves that we often aren’t quite able to see without the relationship of others. These people who accept us for who we are, sometimes even when we think they shouldn’t while feeling in our hearts that if they can’t take us exactly as we are then are we even good enough to have them, or them us? Should we have to change for someone else? I think so. Not compromise ‘for’, mind. But certainly find ways to compromise with one another.”

His tone slips a little, trying to find the right words. “Forgiveness is perhaps one of the most important elements I’ve ever found when it comes to the topic of love, yet there are always lines which can be crossed. These must be acknowledged, honored, and respected, or we will test love beyond its ability to expand and retract without breaking.”

Sindor’s forehead wrinkles, “Not that it’s love which breaks. Better to say that we, in our humanity, aren’t always ready to handle love whether it seems good or bad to someone else.”

Hurrying on, “Even when things don’t seem entirely happy or healthy, it’s not fair to say that someone who can bring out the worst in us is a bad person in our lives. Though if we’re not careful, that can become a toxic trap of unhappiness rather than a safe harbor where we sharpen each other to work on ourselves and become even more brilliant versions of the people we already know ourselves to be.”

Sin locks eyes with each of the members in the room, knowing that someday these people will become distant memories, inevitably forgotten by old age if nothing else, but whose essence will never leave his heart.

Attempting to be subtle — a quality which doesn’t come naturally to him — Sindor presses a small piece of his robes to the corner of his left eye.

“We do see a lot of fairytale love in the media,” he finishes, “and while part of me does wonder about the realism aspect, I have to agree that on some level the fantasy of easy romance is something we wish to escape into even when we don’t really want it, whereas the reality of romances that challenge us are the ones we sometimes run from yet which truly nourish us toward our ultimate growth and potential, and effects everyone and everything we’re connected to, rippling generationally through spacetime.”
Iverian Gnash
Cleansweep One

Post by Iverian Gnash »

Ivey agreed with the points that had been made.

“You know, this discussion reminds me of a song that has a line saying “The ones you see less are the ones you love most.” That line really had me thinking because it’s true that the people we really want to see everyday are not the ones out in the living room, they’re people who aren’t near us.

However, we have to realize that with love comes tolerance. No, we might not get along with the people we live with day in and day out, but we know they have our backs either way. Just as we appreciate the good they bring, we must also tolerate the bad just as love is a mix of both!”
Carrie Warts
No broom

Post by Carrie Warts »

Carrie nods while looking at Sindor's body language. She feels extremely proud for working with such an amazing person and seeing the class reaction to what he's saying is amazing.
She shakes her head a bit and then says - "I find it confusing yet incredible how different the love people have for their families is compared to the love they have for their friends and also a partner.
I was always told that friends are the family you chose and yet I feel like we might not always behave with our friends the way we do with our family. Maybe is because of the fact that you share the blood and know that no matter how much they annoy you they will have your back without a doubt just like you said Ivey, so we love them unconditionally" - Carrie looks around - "but indeed, just like Professor Aloyarc said, forgiveness is one of the biggest demonstrations of love I can possibly think of and I feel it's very linked to the love we have for our families since we made mistakes and probably will continue to make them, they will forgive us because that kind of love is so freaking strong but somehow sometimes is very difficult to give it to our friends or partners and even I can't tell with 100% certainty why this is" - She looks at everyone hoping someone might be able to shed some light on it but also wonders if what she said made any sense "sorry... I get CARRIE-d away with my thoughts... hehe" she blushes at that silly pun and directs her eyes to the floor...
Thank you Ivey for my lovely first Siggy <3

Return to “Muggle Studies: Hidden Powers”