Lesson 3 - Critical Inference (SPRING 2021)

Class led by Will Lestrange

Moderator: Prof. Will Lestrange

Prof. Will Lestrange
Cleansweep Two

Lesson 3 - Critical Inference (SPRING 2021)

Post by Prof. Will Lestrange »

Recall the prompt for this part of Assignment 3:

I showed Basl a few more images; he described each of them with a sentence in Parseltongue. The images are linked below, along with how Basl described each of them. (NOTE: edited to include demonstrative pronouns for the objects!)

IMAGE 1:
'Tasi hasli ara fasi pard abna aʃe rine.'

IMAGE 2:
'Fasi peslʃis gorna fasi fasar sliʃe sobne.'

IMAGE 3:
'Fasi doʃe ʃira asa gara fasi nigi bana gariʃe rine.'

To earn the full ten points, please do the following two things.
1. Pick one word from one of those three images that did not appear in Lesson 2 or 3. Post in this thread with an explanation of what you think that word means and why. (DO NOT use later lessons or the class word list as your only explanation!)
2. In the same thread, reply to someone else's post explaining whether or not you agree with their translation. Make sure to choose a different word than the one you chose for the previous part!
Lucia Dinapoli
No broom

Re: Lesson 3 - Critical Inference (SPRING 2021)

Post by Lucia Dinapoli »

'Fasi peslʃis gorna fasi fasar sliʃe sobne.'

The first thing I did was translate what I knew and collected the words I didnt really recognise or I had not interacted with much. The word 'peslʃis' was an interesting word for me and easy to work out when looking at Parseltongue sentence structure. It's place in the sentence indicated it would be the subject, meaning that 'peslʃis' translates to 'cat'.
Prof. Will Lestrange
Cleansweep Two

Post by Prof. Will Lestrange »

NOTE: Just as for lesson 2, this 'response' is intended to give students a chance to earn reply points right away. Each word in the sentence does have an intended Parseltongue meaning, but I'm forgetting that fact for now!

The first image, showing a book open to two pages in some undecipherable script with a red rose (whose green stem is nearly completely cut off) between the pages and casting a shadow on them, is described with the following sentence:

"Tasi hasli ara fasi pard abna aʃe rine". As of now, we know the meaning of the following words: 'tasi' ('this'), 'ara' ('red'), 'fasi' ('that'), 'pard' ('book'), and 'aʃe' ('to be', in a temporary sense: think 'estar' for Spanish speakers and "X is being Y" as the closest English language equivalent.) Only three words are unknown: 'hasli', 'abna', and 'rine'.

Let's look at the first of the three 'unknown' words: 'hasli'. Since it comes immediately after the si-word 'Tasi' and immediately before the ra-word 'ara', it takes the position of the subject of the sentence, and would therefore be described by 'ara'. The clearest red thing we see in the picture is the rose, so I'm going to conclude that 'hasli' can be used to mean 'rose'. But there might be more to the story than that... maybe the word 'hasli' might be used to describe other objects that aren't roses, for example. Does anyone have any further thoughts?
Carrie Warts
Oakshaft 79

Post by Carrie Warts »

'Fasi doʃe ʃira asa gara fasi nigi bana gariʃe rine.'

The word doʃe in the last picture I assume is referring to the dog since the word that comes after is white. I don't know what asa means either but then the next word is brown so I assume is still referring to the dog.
Lucia Dinapoli wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:27 pm 'Fasi peslʃis gorna fasi fasar sliʃe sobne.'

The first thing I did was translate what I knew and collected the words I didnt really recognise or I had not interacted with much. The word 'peslʃis' was an interesting word for me and easy to work out when looking at Parseltongue sentence structure. It's place in the sentence indicated it would be the subject, meaning that 'peslʃis' translates to 'cat'.
And also, I agree, I came to the same conclusion using my previous analysis but Lucia explained it a lot better!
Thank you Ivey for my lovely first Siggy <3

Return to “Parseltongue: A Challenging Introduction”