Lesson 3 - Discover Some More Words

Class led by Prof. Will Lestrange

Moderator: Prof. Will Lestrange

Prof. Will Lestrange
Shooting Star

Lesson 3 - Discover Some More Words

Post by Prof. Will Lestrange »

This is another chance to add to the Parseltongue lexicon! As per Assignment Three, your prompt here is as follows:

Discover another word, which can be of any part of speech, by talking to the class snakes. In the thread "Lesson 3 - Discover Some More Words", you should make a post containing:
-An undiscovered word in Parseltongue (i.e. it does not appear elsewhere in the first three lessons or assignments, the Vocabulary section of this class, or in an earlier post in the thread)
-Its translation into English
-The way you discovered the word (e.g. if you showed 'your' snake an image, post a link to the image and tell me the snake's response)
NOTE: If you seek to earn 20 points from this part, you should discover two​ words and make a separate post for each word.
February Fortescue
Cleansweep One

Re: Lesson 3 - Discover Some More Words

Post by February Fortescue »

As I was completing Assignment Three and Vinth Hagvarts,  I looking for a word in Parseltongue to express what the students were riding in on their way to the castle. I showed the picture to my new snake friend, Desa, and she assured me snakes were very familiar with those items, as they sometimes had to avoid them when they are swimming! I told her we call them “boats.” Desa shared that, in Parseltongue, they are known as “kerups.” “Ker is from their words “keraʃe” meaning “swim” and “kups” means “cups”, because to them, it appears as if large cups are swimming across the water!
superb sig by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
No matter where you go, there you are.
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

I had an encounter with a couple of relatives of Sunny click the other morning. They were laying in the sun on the dirt, just sunning themselves (much like Sunny did!). But the difficulty was that they were laying in the direct line of traffic to a couple of houses and the odds were very good that if a car or truck came by, they'd be squished flat. I tried to move them but they didn't respond to the waving of the end of the dog leash towards them and then gently nudging them, so I picked them up, one at a time, and carried them to a safe location. I chose to take the larger one first, thinking it would be more difficult to move. Nope. It hung there just lazy relaxed the whole way. So I picked up the smaller one and the little 'viper' (NOT a viper but sheesh! I was rescuing it, right?) attacked my hand repeatedly, attempting to bite. I said "Stop that!" several times (maybe not precisely those words) and was visualizing a car with its tires rolling along and coming at it silent and fast and squishing it dead. 'Seeing' that, and projecting it to the little snake. In particular I focused on the concept of TIRE (automobile leg, that which it moves on, ig, black, funny smelling, deadly, rolls fast -- get out of the way!).

When I put the small snake by the larger one, the larger one told me that they call that - kouk. This is a word pointing to something both black (kura) and deadly (houk-owl).

So, another word is - Kouk - a synthesis of something black and something which eats snakes = tire (automobile tire).

But I don't think she'd have listened to me anyway, if I had the word. She was too busy biting at me. <_<

Note: this is vastly different from koukh - couch. One you rest on, and the others gives you permanent rest ....
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

After settling the little not-a-viper with the other, older, snake (and finding out the word for tire) the older snake thanked me for bringing it and its friend to the area by the wood pile. The neighbor had made a stack of wood (for burning) and the ground next to it was clear of grasses and was in the sun. I figured they could stay in the sun or slither under the stack of wood if they felt threatened.
The word for this stack of wood is 'kani'.

*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Amy Darvill
Oakshaft 79

Post by Amy Darvill »

So I was cooking one day, and Naʃur was hanging around (literally, he was resting on a shelf and had his head dangling) when I pulled some of these out. Did you know he hates nuʃrons (mushrooms)? Like gave me a long lecture (well long for him at least) about how I was going to die? I tried to explain that these were good nuʃrons, but he was not having it. Apparently a friend of his used to hang around nuʃrons to hunt the little critters who ate on them. And by some freak accident, his friend died after eating one of these critters. Naʃur had already heard of poisonous nuʃrons and is convinced that's what did his friend in. So I'm currently trying to convince him that fuʃi (fungi: the term the formal class snakes use) are the bad nuʃrons and good nuʃrons are well...nuʃrons. That or I can never eat nuʃrons again. So help me out, please?
Emily Spencer
Comet 180

Post by Emily Spencer »

After an unexpected rash of dreary days, I just had to take advantage of the first really nice spring day on which I was able to venture outside. Naturally, Bslas insisted on coming along; he cannot abide being left out of things. Well, I actually do enjoy his company, and I know he enjoys mine (even though he would never admit it), so I agreed. I didn't want to necessarily go anywhere in particular but the thought of enjoying a nice cup of coffee on the back porch sounded divine. So snake in hand, off we went.

Well, I may have not liked being cooped up indoors, but the rain had done wonders for my garden. Loving to cook, I was quite eager to partake of the bounty being so generously offered, so once my coffee was done, I decided to go and pick some of the vegetables for use in my cooking later. Bslas, of course, followed close behind.

I never knew of a snake that was super into gardening, but Bslas is full of surprises. He watched with a critical eye as I filled my basket with goodies, giving his hiss of approval if the vegetable met his standards, I suppose (Who knew that snakes had standards about vegetables?!). I was giving him a rundown of which each vegetable was, but when I reached down to pick up a cabbage, he informed me quite proudly that this was a kabaʃ. I nodded agreeably, and he seemed pleased that I had made the connection without him having to give a lengthy explanation. If you think about it, the two words, cabbage and kabaʃ even sound very similar. So it made sense to me. It didn't make sense that he had such a strong affinity for cabbage, but who am I to judge!
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who’s going to stop me.”
Head Student/Slytherin Prefect/Student Teacher/Library & Book Club Head
Emily Spencer
Comet 180

Post by Emily Spencer »

Never let it be said that Bslas does not stand by his convictions. I swear, I'm going to start reading his horoscope, because that snake is a Taurus through and through. Once he gets his mind wrapped around something, there is no swaying him. Of course, it helps that he is capable of injecting serious poison into anyone who disagrees with him. I'm certainly not going to argue with him!! And to be fair, he is usually right-please don't tell him I said that or he'll never let me live it down.

Anyway, the other day I was waiting for a visit from one of my Muggle friends. We were going shopping at one of 'her' stores, so the Floo network or broom would not be the preferred mode of transportation that day. She was picking me up in her new car; another reason for the visit, I suppose. Laura is a wonderful person, but she does love to show off. And of course, Bslas was not about to be left behind; Laura wasn't really thrilled about it, but she wasn't going to argue with him either.

We were sitting on the porch waiting for her, and as soon as she pulled into the drive, Bslas starting saying "khariut". He was getting more and more emphatic about it, so I assumed that he was getting into a tiff because I had been glancing at my phone; a habit that annoys him greatly. I knew he wasn't referring to my friend, whom he calls Slara, so I had no idea what he was going on about with such insistence. Annoyed by my ignorance, he slithered toward her car and repeatedly flashed his tail against it, all the time repeating khariut.

A lightbulb went off, and I realized he was talking about the vehicle itself, not the girl driving it. I knew enough Parseltongue by now to know that he was saying "chariot", Feeling a bit smug, both at my quick parsing and that for once, I would be able to teach him something, I informed him that it was not a chariot, but a car. Was he grateful for the little tidbit of knowledge? Not in the least. In fact, he was quite peeved. Without meaning to, it seemed that I had not only insulted him, but his father, grandfather, and grandfather before that. They had always referred to it as a khariut, so that's what it was!

After calming him down, I realized that his ancestors had been around long before cars had even been a 'thing'. Chariots were, in fact, once vehicles of choice. So it stood to reason that they may have started referring to all vehicles as kariuts It had always been the way, and they saw no reason to change it. To smooth things over, I told him that he was right, I was sorry, and yes, he could have an extra mouse for dessert. I'm a pushover, I know. So long story short, if ever you talk to your snake and he thinks cars are khariuts, now you know why.
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who’s going to stop me.”
Head Student/Slytherin Prefect/Student Teacher/Library & Book Club Head
Amy Darvill
Oakshaft 79

Post by Amy Darvill »

I've been somewhat down with all the recent weather. Which is odd because I usually love the rain, but I suppose I'm getting tired of staying in my dorm room so much. Naʃur wanted to know what was wrong and why I was being so lazy and I gestured to the window, saying I was so tired of the rain.

Well Naʃur was confused by the word rain, which I had assumed was same in Parseltongue as in English. Nope, he calls it 'agirslan' and was somewhat outdone when I pointed it out that it meant sky water in English. To him, that's perfectly logical, since that's where the rain comes from. I asked why that was a mashup when there was other words for river and sea. Apparently, since rain is not a permanent state, it's not a separate entity. It's just..water. That happens to be falling from the sky. Ergo...'agirslan'.
Prof. Alexander Brighton
Moontrimmer

Post by Prof. Alexander Brighton »

I was talking to Neptune, my snake a while ago. He was trying to help me practice saying words in Parseltongue. It was getting late and I had other work to finish before class the next day. So I tried to tell him that I had to go and do some homework. I didn't know the Parseltongue word for "homework", so I described it to him by showing him my textbooks and pretending to write notes. I got him to understand, then he taught me how to say "homework" in Parseltongue. I then tried to write it down. I wrote down "honvork".

Since Parseltongue isn't a written language, he wouldn't tell me if it was correct or not.
Lucia Dinapoli
No broom

Post by Lucia Dinapoli »

I was hanging out in the Slytherin Common Room, getting some of my homework done. Sloki my snake was chilling out beside me during my attempt at my Parseltongue homework as he enjoys seeing how I am progressing - even correcting me when I get things wrong (he is a big help). He managed to see the image used for question one of Homework 3 and when I was experimenting and trying to describe what I saw in Parseltongue I picked up on the word 'krosʃe'. I was confused at first and had to rifle through my notes on Lesson 3 to understand that he was using a verb. I used what else I knew about pronunciation and a few finger points on the image here and there to figure out that Sloki was actually giving me the word 'cross' or 'crossing' or perhaps even 'to cross' in reference to the students crossing the lake.
Carrie Warts
No broom

Post by Carrie Warts »

I was hanging out with Fisli and asked her to give me a nickname of her own choose.
She called me 'kslansina'. Since it ends with na that tells me that is an adjective. Still I couldn't put my finger around what the word ment so I got up to go look for it in our vocabulary but before I could run I tripped over my shoelace and fell flat on my face. After a big "ouch" on my part, Fisli came up to me and repeated 'kslansina' nodding with her tiny head and I could sense some laughter, only to realize that the nickname she gave me was "clumsy".
Last edited by Carrie Warts on Sun May 02, 2021 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thank you Ivey for my lovely first Siggy <3
Carrie Warts
No broom

Post by Carrie Warts »

After that not-very-pleasant nickname Fisli gave me I decided to go have some food to ease my pain and sadness and she tagged along.
I saw an avocado and some tomatoes and decided I was gonna do some guac. As I picked the avocado in my hand, she approaches very inquisitively and as I cut the avocado open Fisli immediately started gaggin and started saying 'graus' which to me sounded very much like "gross" and highly doubted she meant avocado because apparently, it was the first time she's seen one. So I thank her because now she gave me a nickname for her *insert evil laugh sound*
Last edited by Carrie Warts on Sun May 02, 2021 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thank you Ivey for my lovely first Siggy <3
Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
Comet 140

Post by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc »

Boʃ, who loves gazing out of windows, has expressed to me that she enjoys watching the rain outside. Seeing the droplets stream down and admiring the flashes of lightning. But more than anything, as we looked out after a particularly torrential shower with the sun poking out, she became the most excited when a Rainbow appeared. Nodding in its direction, she called it what I recognized to sound like a hybrid word, "Agirsvag," saying that it's a semi-circle after the rain.
Deputy Headmaster | Deputy Head of Ravenclaw
"⁠—Starry, starry night. Paint your palette blue & grey."
Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
Comet 140

Post by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc »

The more and more that Boʃ has gotten to know me, the more she's poked fun at little aspects of myself and my personality. All in good fun, of course! Given some of the perspectives I have that I've shared with her over our brief time together, she's started hissing out a sassy and playful "Bakvsne" --an adverb meaning Backwards-- anytime she thinks I'm being silly or doing/saying something in an usual way. Boʃ has implied that she started saying this to herself from the first time she found out about my last name, but more recently has been too amused to keep it in!
Deputy Headmaster | Deputy Head of Ravenclaw
"⁠—Starry, starry night. Paint your palette blue & grey."
Brianna Caedmon
No broom

Post by Brianna Caedmon »

(Posted late because I was locked out of my account last month. Also in the version of this that I actually submitted on time by email and thus that was marked I made a mistake in how I wrote one word which I've corrected here to avoid confusion for future students :) )

1. I was talking to Nai’a in the Slytherin common room late at night and was trying to explain to her that although I wasn’t yet tired I wanted should try to sleep because it was night time. I didn’t know the word for night, though I could say ‘kura’, so I tried explain to her that I wanted to sleep because it is ‘kura’. She gave me the term daiʃe, which seems to be a combination of the Parseltongue words for both day and no.

2. The next morning, after having had so much trouble sleeping the night before, I was really tired. She was awake and energetic and seemed very confused and was worried I was unwell. I tried to explain that I was tired and realised I didn’t know the word for it, so I told her that I had not ‘slept many’ (as I didn’t know the term for much or enough either). She told me that meant that I am ‘korna’. I found this interesting as it’s very similar in pronunciation to ‘gorna’ or fat; I wonder if the two words could be related?
Mia Fountain
Silver Arrow

Post by Mia Fountain »

One day when discussing different kinds of food with my snake Ʃinʃer I was surprised to discover that I didn't know how to express that I was hungry in parseltongue. So I tried asking Ʃinʃer if she wanted a small meal or a large meal. She replied "Ai hun'gri aʃe nisl ʃena" which I took to mean "I hungry am meal large" or "I am hungry, large meal".
Mia Fountain
Silver Arrow

Post by Mia Fountain »

One warm summer night as the Sun was setting. I was trying to describe the Moon to Ʃinʃer. While trying to tell Ʃinʃer about the Moon, I realized I don't know the Parseltongue word for Moon. So, I tried to work around it by saying "the night lamp in the sky". Ʃinʃer quickly corrected me by saying "Nun slan rine" Which I took to mean "Moon sky in" or "Moon in sky". So, Nun must mean Moon.
Gail Allen
Cleansweep One

Post by Gail Allen »

As I was working on the third assignment, I realised that I did not know how to say Cloud in Parseltongue. So I printed this picture and brought it with me to ask about next time I got the chance.
I deliberately chose an image that didn't have much else on it other than a cloud (and a sky, but since I know the word for that I could eliminate that if it came up as the answer)
I got a very quick response that this is what snakes call: nuʃ

So we can now add this to the dictionary:
Cloud: nuʃ
Hina Green
No broom

Post by Hina Green »

The first word I discovered was "pajama" in Parseltongue, that is to say "asakiri". I discovered this word because my snake Sully saw me in my pajamas just as I was going to talk to it! It even told me its likes it a lot hahaha. I wonder if I can get its some snake pajamas somehow XD
https://ibb.co/WPgrKPd

This is the pajamas I was wearing! :D
Hina Green
No broom

Post by Hina Green »

I also showed Sully this picture
https://ibb.co/Kmt4Gys
It described everything to me! Including blanket!
It defined the blanket "polseʃ"
It also told me that it would like a third blanket to take on at night!
:lol:

Return to “Parseltongue: A Challenging Introduction”