Task 6: Tips, Tricks and Trepidations

Moderators: Prof. Sky Alton, Prof. Kendra Givens, Arianna Stonewater, Prof. Rorey Padfoot

Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis
Nimbus 1500

Re: Task 6: Tips, Tricks and Trepidations

Post by Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis »

Mae Flowers wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:48 am I'm seeking advice for getting involved if you don't always have extra time. I really love HOL so far and plan to make time for it, but I'm worried I'll forget about a forum for a week or something, which might look bad. Any advice for real-life-HOL balance?
The number one rule is to always put real life first. Everyone understands that you have obligations other than HOL. One of the best aspects about HOL is that there is always something happening. It is very hard and nearly impossible to remember to check all the forums and participate in all the activities that are offered. You may miss out on a puzzle or an interesting discussion if you are MIA for a week, but you can still read through the topic or complete the puzzle on your own.

Many activities on HOL are monthly, so it is usually a good idea to see what is happening around the beginning of each month. If you want to check in more regularly, Mondays are typically a good option.

Remember that HOL is here to enhance your real life, not to be a burden!
Mae Flowers
No broom

Post by Mae Flowers »

Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:31 pm
Mae Flowers wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:48 am I'm seeking advice for getting involved if you don't always have extra time. I really love HOL so far and plan to make time for it, but I'm worried I'll forget about a forum for a week or something, which might look bad. Any advice for real-life-HOL balance?
The number one rule is to always put real life first. Everyone understands that you have obligations other than HOL. One of the best aspects about HOL is that there is always something happening. It is very hard and nearly impossible to remember to check all the forums and participate in all the activities that are offered. You may miss out on a puzzle or an interesting discussion if you are MIA for a week, but you can still read through the topic or complete the puzzle on your own.

Many activities on HOL are monthly, so it is usually a good idea to see what is happening around the beginning of each month. If you want to check in more regularly, Mondays are typically a good option.

Remember that HOL is here to enhance your real life, not to be a burden!
Thank you so much for this advice, I will definitely be keeping it in mind during my time here. Looking forward to the future of my HOL experience. :) You're the best!
Prof. Polaris Black
Comet 140

Post by Prof. Polaris Black »

This is just an addition to Scarlet's excellent advice. Look for classes or activities that let you participate when you can with one final due date. Try to just "check in" once a day so at least you know what’s new or changed.. I set up HOL links on my Bookmarks Bar to facilitate this.

And these are nuggets from my first year:

Take HOL 101
You can only take five classes but this one is invaluable for first years. Everyone is here for a different reason but no matter how lofty or modest your goals, completing HOL 101 will help you achieve them. And although it’s mostly fun to explore the site on your own, it can also be frustrating so it’s just a great idea to have a guidebook. I found all the information was useful, even if not in the intended context. For example, I never thought I would actually use IRC (for chatting or Quidditch) but wound up using it to troubleshoot a problem.

Don’t Procrastinate
It’s just risky to wait until the last minute. Although meetings, matches, and deadlines are always stated in HOL-Time, when I was a first year, the library and art department used an automated program to handle submissions and it closed much earlier than 11:59. Also, the time on individual computers may be off at the start and end of daylight savings time. And based on my experience, I would suggest you register for all the house forums at start of term – after that, validation of guests might not be a house priority and could be delayed.

Read Course Descriptions Very Carefully
Confirming class members, enrollment periods, due dates, and prerequisites are all at the discretion of the instructor. You should read the course descriptions very, very carefully. One of my courses had an early enrollment deadline with early homework submission dates and another required you to complete the first assignment before you could be accepted into the class.

Jump Into The Pool
I was a lurker until an irresistible HOL-wide activity was posted and I needed a partner to sign up. As a newbie, I was petrified but I got up the courage and asked one of my house prefects. She said “yes” (to my astonishment) and of course, we became genuine friends. Don’t be afraid to ask!
A "Cassie Sig" is priceless - thank you so much!
Arianna Stonewater
Comet 140

Post by Arianna Stonewater »

My number one advice: do not take more than two writing intense classes a semester! You want to have time for real life, plus all of the other non-class activities at HOL!

Other things of note: Don't be afraid to ask for help!! Everyone here is really friendly and helpful, and you're not the first, last, or only person to struggle with anything here!
Mae Flowers
No broom

Post by Mae Flowers »

Polaris Black wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:16 pm
This is just an addition to Scarlet's excellent advice. Look for classes or activities that let you participate when you can with one final due date. Try to just "check in" once a day so at least you know what’s new or changed.. I set up HOL links on my Bookmarks Bar to facilitate this.

And these are nuggets from my first year:

Take HOL 101
You can only take five classes but this one is invaluable for first years. Everyone is here for a different reason but no matter how lofty or modest your goals, completing HOL 101 will help you achieve them. And although it’s mostly fun to explore the site on your own, it can also be frustrating so it’s just a great idea to have a guidebook. I found all the information was useful, even if not in the intended context. For example, I never thought I would actually use IRC (for chatting or Quidditch) but wound up using it to troubleshoot a problem.

Don’t Procrastinate
It’s just risky to wait until the last minute. Although meetings, matches, and deadlines are always stated in HOL-Time, when I was a first year, the library and art department used an automated program to handle submissions and it closed much earlier than 11:59. Also, the time on individual computers may be off at the start and end of daylight savings time. And based on my experience, I would suggest you register for all the house forums at start of term – after that, validation of guests might not be a house priority and could be delayed.

Read Course Descriptions Very Carefully
Confirming class members, enrollment periods, due dates, and prerequisites are all at the discretion of the instructor. You should read the course descriptions very, very carefully. One of my courses had an early enrollment deadline with early homework submission dates and another required you to complete the first assignment before you could be accepted into the class.

Jump Into The Pool
I was a lurker until an irresistible HOL-wide activity was posted and I needed a partner to sign up. As a newbie, I was petrified but I got up the courage and asked one of my house prefects. She said “yes” (to my astonishment) and of course, we became genuine friends. Don’t be afraid to ask!
This is all amazing advice, thank you so so much!! :)

Return to “Welcome Month”