Departure

Post by Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis »

For your reference, the stages of Departure are:

~Call to Adventure
~Refusal of the Call
~Supernatural Aid
~Crossing of the First Threshold
~Belly of the Whale

Please include the book, movie, and/or series of the character(s) you choose to discuss!
Prof. Will Lestrange
Shooting Star

Re: Departure

Post by Prof. Will Lestrange »

The clearest example of Refusal of the Call I can think of is from Simba's journey in The Lion King (1994 movie). After Simba's childhood friend and future wife, Nala, informed him of the situation back on Pride Rock, Nala lets Simba know that he is the rightful king and should reclaim his throne from his uncle Scar.

Simba's refusal to accept this call is exemplified by him saying "No I'm not the king" - and a few scenes later (where Nala wants Simba to be "the king I know he is/the king I see inside" but Simba is ashamed of his past), Simba doubles down: "Nala, we've been through this. I'm not the king. Scar is." Eventually, Nala leaves - having failed to convince Simba of his destiny... and Simba continues on refusing the call until the mandrill shaman Rafiki shows Simba his father Mufasa in the stars.

So in this story, Refusal of the Call might be one of the most pronounced parts of Simba's heroic journey!

Return to “Journey of the Hero”