What Is In A Name?

General Notices and Discussions
Alexander Brighton
Oakshaft 79

Re: What Is In A Name?

Post by Alexander Brighton » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:45 am

I thought I posted in here, but guess I didn't.

My real life nickname is Lex. And since Lex Luther is my favorite villain, and Lex is usually a short version for Alexander, I chose Alexander as my first name. I knew I would get called Alex a lot which I also like.

I was going to put my last name as Bright as in smart, but thought I would add a on at the end and make it Brighton instead.
Sarah Hucklebee
No broom

Post by Sarah Hucklebee » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:15 am

Honestly, my first name is Sarah, but because I don't like to give out my last name, I just made up a name.Just a random blend of words, I had just finished reading Huckleberry Finn, so I took inspiration from that.
Caleb Bane
No broom

Post by Caleb Bane » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:20 am

Hello... I'm Caleb Bane. I don't really know if anyone cares, heh, but my name comes from the word "Dog" in Hebrew. I don't know why in Hebrew, I just love dogs. Bane means annoying basically, and that's what I think I am, seeing as I will never meet anyone. This is kind of unrelated and I'm kind of scared to say this because I'm afraid of getting bullied, but I'm gay and, seeing as I'm short, focus too much on my studies here and in real life, and I'm totally a tsundere, I don't think I'll ever find someone because I think I'm annoying. Thank you.
Wysteria Grimmhilde
No broom

Post by Wysteria Grimmhilde » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:06 am

My chosen name is Wysteria Grimmhilde. Personally, wisteria makes me think of whimsical and wistful. Wisteria is actually a climbing shrub native to North America and Asia with blue and lilac flowers. It stands for good luck, welcoming, vitality of a friend, affection after distance, devotion, and new birth.

Grimmhilde comes from various places. Its Germanic and Norse roots relate it to mythology. Grim relates to "grimmaz" which meant "to resound or thunder, grim, or person wearing a face mask". Hilde relates to "hildiz" which meant "battle". Together, these mean "someone who is ready to fight".

Grimhilde is also the name of the Evil Queen in Snow White. She was known for her magic, including poisons and potions. Grim is also a reference to Sirius and his animagus as well as Grimmauld Place. Sirius is one of my favorite characters.

https://www.flowermeaning.com/wisteria-flower/
http://www.name-doctor.com/name-grimhil ... 19058.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evil_Queen_(Disney)
Erika Hart
No broom

Post by Erika Hart » Mon May 06, 2019 4:39 am

Well, the story behind my name is pretty simple. About several years ago, when I was much younger and still playing with ponies and fairies, I was also a writer. I wrote this fantasy/adventure short story that involved a red-hooded archer named Erika. She had a hippogriff as her friend (who she could ride, with permission, of course) and was a powerful magic user! (I know, my younger self had quite the imagination!) When I recently found that story again, I decided 'why not?' and made the fictional character that I created, become me!
Noppoh Elvenstar
No broom

Post by Noppoh Elvenstar » Mon May 27, 2019 11:22 am

My name is made up from several parts:

1) I've been calling myself 'Noppoh' ever since chats became popular when I was a teen. There was a trend back then to give yourself the most inappropriate names (really inappropriate) but I didn't feel comfortable doing that so I compromised. Noppoh is a slightly altered, backwards version of 'hop on'. Don't blame me, I was a young teen...

2) When I couldn't use the name Noppoh for some reason or another, I went by Noppohstar. How that came to be, I don't remember, but the name stuck.

3) I've recently started going to fantasy fairs dressed up as a wood-elf.

Combine the three and tadaa Noppoh Elvenstar :)
Romilda Jones
No broom

Post by Romilda Jones » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:02 am

I real world my name isn't Romilda Jones
Both are made up
I made this name because I liked the meaning of Romilda it's glorious battle maiden.
I really like this name. If it is too long people can call me Jones

Return to “The Great Hall”