What Is In A Name?

General Notices and Discussions

Moderator: Prefects

Lorie Ellison
No broom

Post by Lorie Ellison »

Well, I've always liked English-origin names, particularly Lorie. Ellison comes from the Greek "Elias" or the medieval English "Elis". I just thought it'd be a nice combination. :D

Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus
Lilith DiAngelo
No broom

Post by Lilith DiAngelo »

I feel like I cheated slightly with my HOL name. I borrowed it from a character I used to RP as since I never had time to do her justice and she lives on in my head. Lilith I chose because it suited the image of a tiny dark haired girl I picture my character as. It's a bit odd, a bit old fashioned and sounds as though it could have been lifted from a faerytale and that suited her. DiAngelo, truthfully I just liked the way it sounded. I liked the reference to angels as well though, it made the name sound a little bit more etheral.
TeeTee Weber
No broom

Re: What Is In A Name?

Post by TeeTee Weber »

My name is actually Timothy but my older siblings started calling me TeeTee or TT a few years ago. I always liked it. it made me feel special and especially loved by my older siblings - especially my sisters. P.S. I have a large family with lots of siblings and I love it (though they can be a pain sometimes - the older ones that is). But lots of us have nicknames in my family too which is really fun
Artemisia Delacroix
No broom

Post by Artemisia Delacroix »

Artemisia Delacroix

Artemisia has two parts. My favorite Greek goddess was Artemis and my favorite Greek character was queen Artemisia. Also, Eva Green (love her!) plays her in 300: Rise of an Empire. Delacroix is after my favorite painter.
-------------------
GERONIMO!
Beans, Jake. Beans.
Click HERE for my HOL Profile!
Maxwell Shadow
Cleansweep One

Post by Maxwell Shadow »

I was sure I'd already posted here but can't find the post so here I go!

Many years ago I used to have a RP character called Bellicia Shadow, named after Bellatrix Black (who I'd also previously RPed as). My Bella graduated from Hogwarts and when I move to HOL I decided it was time for her younger brother to start school. I'd given him a name years earlier in one of Bella's RPs; I think I just picked something that I liked and that sounded good with Shadow!
Slytherin forever
Prof. Will Lestrange
Shooting Star

Post by Prof. Will Lestrange »

I had thought the rule of choosing HOL names was "RL first name + last name from an HP character you like".

So I really wanted to go with William Lestrange (because I find Bellatrix Lestrange incredibly intriguing and gorgeous... though there are parts of her personality I do NOT like) only to find that the name was already taken (by an RP profile that was, to be honest, badly written and long since abandoned). So I hacked three letters off of my first name and figured "Will Lestrange" was good enough as an HOL name...
Leonie Munslow
No broom

Post by Leonie Munslow »

Leonie is actually my middle name. I don't usually use it, but I like to use different names for all the sites that I go on. As I go on many different sites, I was starting to run out of ideas for names that I liked. Therefore, I chose to just use my middle name. As for the last name, I just used a random generator until I got something that sort of fit with the first name :)
Joey Stark
Oakshaft 79

Post by Joey Stark »

My story is really uninteresting but...*shrugs*

My first name is actually Joey (well, Joseph). Stark is from the Marvel character (not Game of Thrones). I'm a big RDJ/Tony Stark fan =, especially when I joined (few years ago). I also like the sound of the name. It I was to redo it I would probably take Lupin as my last name, I love the sound of it.
Hanna Inari
No broom

Post by Hanna Inari »

Seems like I didn't answer here even though I thought I did. :huh:

Inari is a lake in Finland, and Hanna is a common Finnish name. When I make up a nickname, I usually use Finnish or Swedish names because Scandinavian culture is closer to me than many others and I learned Finnish and Swedish in the past. I like names that start with H and there was no particular reason why I chose this but for how it sounds. While doing my homework I found out that Inari lake was mentioned in "His Dark Materials", a book that I liked when I was 12. I think I took it from there because even when I visited Finland, I never was near that lake.

Also I always wonder whether to pronounce it Inari or Inari. The first variant is the correct one but the second just sounds better (actually because of the rules of different languages).
Arlynn Cassidy
No broom

Post by Arlynn Cassidy »

A lot of people in my family has names starting with the letter A. Also my middle name is Lynn. As for Cassidy I have a cousin named Cassy. But to be honest I chose the name just because I like it.
Amy Links
No broom

Post by Amy Links »

I got my name, Amy Links, from a Harry Potter fanfiction I wrote not to long ago. I honestly don't know where the name Amy came from, it just popped in my head when I was writing. Links came from the name of the people who adopted Amy in my fanfic. If you're interested in reading it's about a troubled girl named Amy Links who finds a family, love and friendship by going to Hogwarts in 1972. It's called Severus's Love, Harrys Protector on Wattpad
Anisia Anom
No broom

Post by Anisia Anom »

Anisia is a name I really like and I've used other places too; Anom is my nickname reversed - sounded ok enough to put these two together.
Cliodna Levebre
No broom

Post by Cliodna Levebre »

I love the name "Cliodna" since I read HP and the Sorcerer's stone for the first time (It's about March 2000). Cliodna is known as a Druidess who is depicted on a Famous Witches and Wizards trading card. At the first, I planned to use my RL name but I read somewhere that we don't allowed to use our RL name. So, I choose this "Cliodna" as my first name here. While Levebre is one of the surnames in France (though I'm not a French).. I love its pronounce.

Then, here it is.. Cliodna Levebre is born..
Edythe Weasley
No broom

Post by Edythe Weasley »

My IRL name is Jess but I am in love with the name Edythe at the moment.

Being a Weasley works well with my red hair, and are an awesome family in Harry Potter.

I'd like to say I'm a distant cousin.
:P
Hufflepuff Pride <3
Sapphire Riddle
No broom

Post by Sapphire Riddle »

Well, I once made a stupid and very non-Ravenclaw mistake...

My first name comes from the fact that a while before this, I was a bit fed up with using the same character in all my RPGs on a RPing website that I'm on (it's actually a dress up website but they've got a forum and a RPG board that I mainly use so... yep) so I decided to make a similar one. Unlike my main character, Violet Black, who has a magical purple lock of hair, this character has a scarlet lock. I decided to name her after a jewel, so I though "Oh, sapphires are red gemstones! And Sapphire is a name! Aren't I clever!". I only realised when the RP had started that sapphires are BLUE jewels.

Before that, however, I had been happily clicking on the witch name generator in fantasynamegenerators.com (lovely website- I reccommend it for all sorts of names and place names) and found the name "Scarlet Riddle"- obviously a desendant of Tom Marvolo Riddle. I was delighted. I could do all sorts of things. I could put her in the Riddle house. I could make her turn pure evil every full moon (which I re-used here. I need to tell my fellow Ravenclaws to lock me in the cupboard on the 22nd... last time I locked myself in the bathroom... I broke the door and had to fix it before they woke up). I could give her a scarlet lock of hair- maybe coloured by blood, who knows. I then decided to give her a nicer first name (see above), but the surname stuck.
A.K.A. Buttercup. Call me that at your own risk. My pet cow will not happily roam in your room.
Alessandra Grace
No broom

Post by Alessandra Grace »

Well, Alessandra is my real name, I didn't have much inspiration, back when I signed up :lol: As for Grace, it's the name of an actress I like, Grace Kelly ^^

Actually, when I had to choose my HOL name, I panicked... there were all those rules, you can't choose a celebrity name, a HP character name, or we will know that and so on, so I decided to use my first name (which is very long, but I can't convince people to call me Ale lol) and the first name I could think of, that happened to be Grace Kelly's :rolleyes:
Hear me roar!
Katherine Evans
No broom

Post by Katherine Evans »

Well, I wanted to use something similar to my real life name, and I've always been fond of Katherine with a 'K' so there's that. I was going through a bit of a Marauders phase at the time (Remus Lupin = dreamboat) and since I make characters based on whatever I'm writing at the time (fanfiction writer woo), I chose to 'relate' my persona to Ms. Evans. We both have red hair and all that.
Reggy Faraday
No broom

Post by Reggy Faraday »

Ohh everyone has such cool stories behind their names!

I've been going by Reggy for a looong time, and it just feels like me. Then I thought of the first last name I could that starts with F, the same first letter of my surname. And ta-da, Reggy Faraday! :rolleyes:
Hufflepuff second year :: re1080

"'I wish somebody would write a story sometime about the people who warm up the heroes afterward.'" - Moominland Midwinter
Nora Nightingale
No broom

Post by Nora Nightingale »

Hey all. Ickle firstie here. Up until a few months ago, I was in a cabaret performance troupe. Nora Nightingale is actually my stage name! I've always loved the name Nora and new I wanted that as my alter ego. I wanted something that flowed well, and Nightingale just seemed right. That was a few years ago, and since then, Nora Nightingale really has become my alter ego. Like me as a superhero. She's a lot braver and more fun and carefree than me ;)
Elizabeth Mayes
No broom

Post by Elizabeth Mayes »

I love the name Elizabeth so I knew I wanted that to be the first name of my character. I also knew I wanted a kind of plain sounding name. I don't know why, but those names have always been my favorites. After that I just used a last name generator until I found a last name I liked. I kept having to google Elizabeth + last name to see if it happened to be the name of a celebrity. Elizabeth is a pretty common name so it took a while to find a combination I wasn't concerned about getting deleted. I also think part of the reason I like Mayes is because of its similarity to Maes, as in Maes Hughes from Fullmetal Alchemist. He was my favourite character on that show.
"I was born with a reading list I will never finish." - Maud Casey

Ascended Warrior Vin by axt234

Return to “The Great Hall”