What Is In A Name?

General Notices and Discussions

Moderator: Prefects

Bebinn Eszes
No broom

Post by Bebinn Eszes »

I actually started with my nickname. BB is what people call me. I'm comfortable with it. From there, I settled on Bebinn, because I thought it was cute. It means fair lady in Gaelic. Eszes took a little more searching, but I found it and liked it. In Hungarian, it means wise or clever.
Aurora Blossom
No broom

Post by Aurora Blossom »

My name...well Aurora is a name I've always loved and I'm going have a daughter called Aurora one day, so that's where that came from. Blossom is just a word that popped into my head when I was trying to come up with a name when I signed up, lol.
Sirithre Leylnn
No broom

Post by Sirithre Leylnn »

Sirithre is an old nickname from a MUD I played waaaaaaay back when it was still likely to get eaten by a grue.

The name has been used for many an RPG based environment, but her personality always seems to differ. We'll see what happens this time around.

☆ Per cupiditas emergo adeptio.
»{With ambition comes achievement. }«
Adelaide Basil
No broom

Post by Adelaide Basil »

It's funny that my surname is the same as the name of the Slytherin Mascot...not at all planned!

Anyway, I chose my surname first. Basil is just a name I've always liked as a male first name, and it means "royal/kingly".
For my first name, I was originally going to go with Layla, but I didn't like it with Basil. I just brainstormed to think of feminine-sounding names I know, and thought of Adelaide (I have a thing for names that start with A, I think). I looked up the meaning, and it means "noble kind"....which goes perfect with "royal"!
my pygmy puff's name is colin.
Juliya Tass
No broom

Post by Juliya Tass »

I got Juliya from an old show on Much Music USA (Now Fuse) called Uranium. The hosts name was Juliya, and she was and still is one of my role models!

I needed a last name and I suck when it comes to creating last names for characters. I had to work the day I applied to HOL. There was this couple that comes into the theaters quite often. Well we started talking to them and found out the guys name is Tass. His mother named him that and we talked about he has yet to meet anyone with that name. I thought that would be a fantastic last name.

So that is where Juliya Tass came from. :) Boring I know, but it's true!
Katarina Nelsen
No broom

Post by Katarina Nelsen »

It seems that most people here created their character's name from their real name, and it is almost so in my case as well.

Katarina is actually not my real name, middle name or anything like that - it's my mother's second choice.
One day I asked her for the fun of it what she would have named me if she had not decided on Nathalia. The answer was immediate: Katarina.
Apparently her grandmother (or some other close relative) was named Katrine, and since she apparently likes names that end with an "a", Katarina came natural to her.
I think it's a pretty name and if not for the love of my own name, I would not have minded being named that.

The lastname, Nelsen, is just a variation of my real lastname. Thought I'd alter it at little so it sounded more British or just less Scandinavian.

This is actually the fastest I've ever come up with a name. Usually it takes me forever to think of a proper character name, and I look through name meanings, etc. etc..
Alura Alvey
No broom

Post by Alura Alvey »

Well my HOL name has nothing in common with my real name. My real name is Anatea, and that's not really alike.
I found the name Alura, long time ago in some book, and since then it's my favourite name. It's a pretty rare name, and I like everything what's not usual. So that's how I got my first name.
The story about last name isn't that interesting, I just tought it maches good.
Tensai Seiryuu
No broom

Post by Tensai Seiryuu »

Well... I'm really into Japanese anime cartoons, so anywhere I can put a name I chose it's something Japanese :)
Here I've chosen my 2 favorite words and put them together to make a name and surname...
Tensai means storm and Seiryuu means Holy Dragon...
The 2 words don't make much sense together, but I like the sound of it :D
Proud Ravenclaw Eagle
Murkolo Rell
No broom

Post by Murkolo Rell »

I wanted to think of something kinda creepy, swamp-like, and I thought of murky. Then I used the name "marvolo" and kinda squished them together to make Murkolo. The last name is just something that popped into my head. :D

I didn't want to use any names original to the books (etc. Severus, Harry, Lupin)
I don't need a compass to tell me which way the wind shines.
Lauren Ashel
No broom

Post by Lauren Ashel »

Some of these stories are so interesting!!! Lol mine is so... Easy. My name {First and middle} is Laura Ashely... I think you can figure it out from there!! :}
Image\
Do you like my signature? Lol I don't know what to put here! :}
Ianto Maddock
No broom

Post by Ianto Maddock »

Well, I wanted an obviously Welsh name, seeing as I was born in Wales and lived there for most of my childhood. I almost went with Gareth Jones, but that was just way to easy. Ianto and Maddock are both QUITE Welsh, Ianto being the Welsh form of John basically, and Maddock being a form of a Welsh name from way back in Medieval times. Plus, I did kind of name myself after Ianto Jones from Torchwood. (btw Ianto Jones? Yeah, another very Welsh name)
Last edited by Ianto Maddock on Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Patrick James
Oakshaft 79

Post by Patrick James »

My name 'Patrick' comes from an Irish saint, St.Patrick. Though I am NOT Irish, I would love to see the place some time...............
Patrick James | Fifth Year 
Mathilde Whitewood
No broom

Post by Mathilde Whitewood »

Mathilde is my first name and Whitewood is a name that I invented, I don't know if it exists in the real life. It is the family name of my character on an other Harry Potter website.
Last edited by Mathilde Whitewood on Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liliana Llewellyn
No broom

Post by Liliana Llewellyn »

In case you can't tell, I like names with L's in them. One of my favorite names is actually Lily, but I didn't want to choose that because I was worried people would think I had picked it because of Harry's mom/daughter, so I decided to go with Liliana instead. Also because I think it's pretty and kind of exotic-sounding!

As for my last name, I found a list of every Harry Potter character ever mentioned in the books and decided to just pick the last name of an obscure character, and when I saw Llewellyn (so many L's!) I knew I'd found the right one!
Geneva Masen
No broom

Post by Geneva Masen »

Liliana Llewellyn wrote:QUOTE (Liliana Llewellyn @ Aug 21 2010, 09:54 PM) In case you can't tell, I like names with L's in them. One of my favorite names is actually Lily, but I didn't want to choose that because I was worried people would think I had picked it because of Harry's mom/daughter, so I decided to go with Liliana instead. Also because I think it's pretty and kind of exotic-sounding!

As for my last name, I found a list of every Harry Potter character ever mentioned in the books and decided to just pick the last name of an obscure character, and when I saw Llewellyn (so many L's!) I knew I'd found the right one!
Wow, I never would have guessed! :9

I really do like your name. My cat is Lily (yes, after Harry's mom-it's the most HP-crazy thing I can get away with. My parents are such Muggles!). Lily and Liliana are both very pretty.

That's interesting about Llewellyn, because I once read a fanfiction where a Professor Llewellyn was a sixth-year teacher to the Marauders. I wonder if there's a link?
Anna Badger
No broom

Post by Anna Badger »

Anna it is my real name and Badger (you know, this funny beastie) in my name, don't have any connections with Hufflepuff symbol, I just think that my real surname sound's like that if it will be translated in English. (But it's not my real surname, in my mother language it's sounds, absolutely differently)
Alyson Glimmer
No broom

Post by Alyson Glimmer »

Alyson is my middle name (spelled that way). I don't know where I came up with Glimmer. It's just what came to mind and seemed a fitting surname for the wizarding world.
Lorraine Laroche
No broom

Post by Lorraine Laroche »

I picked Lorraine Laroche, because I love France. And I love letter "L" especially in combination with letter "R".
"...Bienheureux celui-là qui peut avec amour

Saluer son coucher plus glorieux qu'un rêve!..."
Enid Willow
No broom

Post by Enid Willow »

I chose the name 'Enid' because when I was little I used to love watching the tv series The Worst Witch and my favourite charcter on there was called Enid Nightshade. I chose 'Willow' because I wanted something harry potter related and then I thought: 'Whomping Willow. hmm what about Enid Willow?' So there you have it. :)
Hollie Connor
No broom

Post by Hollie Connor »

I used to love the Worst Witch!! <3
Well anyway, I chose Hollie is the first name of an RP character on another site, and I thought Connor went well with it. Not very exciting, I know. :)

Return to “The Great Hall”