What Is In A Name?

General Notices and Discussions

Moderator: Prefects

Ria Kaulitz
No broom

Post by Ria Kaulitz »

My nickname for my real name is Ria.. and my favorite German band two of the guys have the last name 'Kaulitz' and when I can't use my real name for something, I always use 'Ria Kaulitz' :D
Jessamine Quick
No broom

Post by Jessamine Quick »

There's a vine called Carolina Jessamine in my backyard with the prettiest yellow flowers, and I also discovered a Jessamyn in my family tree. I just love it, so joining HOL gives me a chance to adopt it as my own.

Quick is less meaningful. I simply found it on a surname website. I like the sound of it, both on its own and with Jessamine, and as a newbie, I certainly hope to catch on quick! Maybe it will bring me luck.
Proud Hufflepuff
Go Spiffies! Badgers for the cup!
Victoria Frost
No broom

Post by Victoria Frost »

I've always loved the first name Victoria, and Frost both describes my personality (sometimes) and references a favorite poet of mine.
Maya Ravensdale
No broom

Post by Maya Ravensdale »

I've always loved the name Maya and previously RP'd with the name. I found Ravensdale by looking online for a list of English surnames and I really like the sound of it.
Prof. Sirius Fudge
Cleansweep One

Post by Prof. Sirius Fudge »

Sirius Fudge here, a first year.. My name's from Sirius Black and then Minister of Magic Cornelius Fudge taken from the first chapter of the Half Blood Prince when Fudge was talking to the British Prime Minister regarding the rise of You-Know-Who (specifically talking about the escape of Black three years ago that time).. I thought it's a good name..

Post Graduate | Huffle Staff | HQT | HOL Class of 2018
Tsubasa Kuromiya
No broom

Post by Tsubasa Kuromiya »

"Tsubasa" means wings in Japanese. I chose that because it has some sort of connection with my real name? Hahaha...

"Kuromiya" - "Kuro" means black and "miya" means palace. In the past "miya" is only given to people from the noble family/clan, and it's not commonly used among civilians. So when you put 'em together, you can say that I'm a...dark lord? Lols.
"There is no coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen."
Isadora Asquith
No broom

Post by Isadora Asquith »

The meaning of the name Isadora is 'gift of Isis' and it's pronounced - Iz - a - door - ah. I chose it through jealousy; my friend had this username on another website and I always admired it, so I took it :D

Asquith, however, was used purely because I've always been attracted to it as an old middle class surname. It was only fitting for my Slytherin attributes.
"Turn to page three hundred and ninety four."

Yes sir.
Enid Labs
No broom

Post by Enid Labs »

As I told in the Hufflepuff Common Room:

"If I have to tell you REALLY how my name (wich I love) came to me... it's like surprising. At reality was my mum who helped me to do it... She almost made it herself... and I just loved it.

Enid: I was finding for a first name. I mean, my last name was also choosed, but I wasn't sure of what name put to myself. So, my mum decided to ask her now ex-boyfriend (who lives in New Zeland). He choosed Enid because he said the name was completely for myself. I don't remember well if it means Spirit, or something related with it. But I remember that, when he told me it's meaning I just fall in love. And now, I love it even more than that times, because now it means something more to me. I would never forget that man, and I know my mum neither (she stills talking with him). He was like my 2nd dad, and I'll always be waiting the things between him and mom get fixed, because he really made her the most hapy woman I could ever lived with.

Labs: this name it doesn't have so much history behind it. They're just the letters of my full name (L.A.B.S.) (a name I wouldn't post here).

So there is. My name is a completely escense of myself. "
Enid Labs||en602||First year Student||PPC Member||HOL Book Club Member

Life can be awful if you aren't able to see it's bright side.
Jennie Burstow
No broom

Post by Jennie Burstow »

I chose my name as Jennie is my name and Burstow is a very british word and im from London so i thought i'd follow in my routes!
Jennie Burstow;Slytherin;First Year
Je1119||Half Blood||Ambitious||Sneerleeder
Argentum Cruoris - Competition runs through our veins
Ruby Daly
No broom

Post by Ruby Daly »

Mine's simple. Rancid is one of my favourite bands, and they have two songs 'Ruby Soho' and 'Daly City Train'. My name is just a combination of that, and I think they sound pretty cool together C:
Veralyn Kwon
No broom

Post by Veralyn Kwon »

Well my RL name is Vera and the lyn is just to make it more different than the ordinary Vera, Kwon is the last name of a very important person in my life. heh.
Anneliese Lee
No broom

Post by Anneliese Lee »

I've always loved the name Anneliese, graceful and flowing. It remind me of grace and mysteriousness, so I chose it as my favourite name. I chose Lee, because, well...no idea, but I'm asian, and it's an asian name soo.....

Haha, I have bad reasons. :P
Laurie Lovegood ©
Zora Starling
No broom

Post by Zora Starling »

I have no idea why I chose name Zora. It's just so cute for me.

I love stars and movie Stardust so I chose Starling. It's very sparkly and it goes well with Zora.
Amelie Nox
No broom

Post by Amelie Nox »

How I came up with this name... Wow, I'm not entirely sure.

I've always adored the name Amelie - it reminds me of one of my first best friends with a similar name, and I think it's just so pretty. I'm thinking of calling one of my children that, if I have a daughter.

As for Nox, well I like the spell and it's a surname I use often in roleplays and such because it's just cool.

And the two go well together, no?
Mischief Managed ♥
Cailin Jones
No broom

Post by Cailin Jones »

Well, I had a rpg character named Toril Cecilie Jones once. Then I figured out that she needed a sister (and I was tired of Toril), so I search behindthename.com for names, and found Cailin. Then it was Cailin. After that I've allways thought that the name Cailin is nice, and have used it for several occations. The last name, Jones, I have no idea were it came from. It has allways been the last name of my other character (and probably once or twice more of those).
Payton Everild Royal
No broom

Post by Payton Everild Royal »

Well, fist I must say that I picked the name Payton Everild Royal when I made one of my rpg-characters, on a Norwegian Harry Potter online-rpg site.

I had desided that I wanted a Slytherin character, because I really find them funiest to act out. And I figured that I would need a name that sounded like real snob, but that still could belong to just any cute little girl.

I acctually had my whole character ready, before I picked the name, so I knew that my character was going to look like a cute, innocent girl, from a rich well-known family, but on the inside she is cunning and manipulativ, she really thinks that she is better then most people.
So I wanted a name that could reflect all of this at once. Another thing when I was thinking about the name, was that I wanted it to sound like an old family name. So I feel that Payton covers both the stuck-up and the cute, innocent part, while Everild is more of an old name, that could be a family name. Royal again hints toward a spoiled, rich, snob, and I really feel that it is a name that would fit a family of pure-blood witches and wizards.
Colette DeLune
No broom

Post by Colette DeLune »

Out of character: DeLune, my surname, means "Of The Moon" in french! Its an old surname I used to use for roleplays because I have this fixation with the moon! And "Colette" is a name I thought sounded cute and flowed well with "DeLune"! "Colette" means "People Of Victory"!
My image was deleted. (Max size limit is 250 px wide and 100 px high).

"Hello! Im Colette! I am pleased to meet you!"
Blanca Solchoice
No broom

Post by Blanca Solchoice »

Well, let's see:
I was on vacation when the sign-ups opened up, so I was kind of rushing when I created my name. For my first name, I was like: "Mommy! Quick: a female name!" and since she's obsessed with the name 'BLANCA,' she told me to use that one (I wasn't particularly adoring the name, but decided to use it anyways). Then, as a last name, I randomly came up with Solchoice. Randomly. But, together, I thought it sounded pretty!
So that's the story of how I became Blanca Solchoice. :)
~blanca solchoice
Lucinda Gaunt
No broom

Post by Lucinda Gaunt »

Lucinda is considered an acceptable and "normal" name in both wizarding and Muggle society. My father is a pureblood wizard and my mother is a Muggle so they had to pick something that wouldn't attract attention in either world.
[ Lucinda Gaunt, Ravenclaw ]
[Eight and three quarter inches wand, made of reed and chimera scales]
[Face character: Leighton Meester]
Elle Xander
No broom

Post by Elle Xander »

Elle comes from a nickname of my real name, which starts with an L. (L=Elle, haha)

And Xander is from my favorite name, Alexander.

adventurer and general mischief maker
♥ 1st Year Gryffindor | Spice Squad | HOL PPC | HOL Book Club | Parchment

Return to “The Great Hall”