What Is In A Name?

General Notices and Discussions

Moderator: Prefects

Celyn Benai
No broom

Post by Celyn Benai »

Well, my first name, Celyn, is my favorite name. It also means 'holly', which I thought was good for the HP thing, since Harry's wand is made of holly and all. I chose the alternate spelling (as opposed to Kellin or Kellan) because it looks nicer. :o
Benai was just a last name I randomly came up with; it looks elegant with Celyn.
Everyone is a moon, and he has a dark side which he never shows to anyone.
-Mark Twain
Rose Bellevoire
No broom

Post by Rose Bellevoire »

I picked my name, Rose Bellevoire, for a number of reasons.

Firstly, my middly name in RL is Rose, and though I really hate it, I always use it for occasions like this.
Secondly, french is my second language, so I wanted to incorporate that into my name, and chose Bellevoire, which translates into "beautiful to see" (which isn't true, but I liked it).
Finally, I am writing a Harry Potter fanfiction and am using a girl named Rose Bellevoire as my main character.
Pimly Evans
No broom

Post by Pimly Evans »

Pimly Evans is the name pleasure to meet you!
Pimly is my nickname started when I was 13. It's stuck ever since. I'm 18 now and boy it went through a few-trail and error periods. First it was Pim. Which I still sometimes get called but, then Pimly just seemed to flow better. Evans, is apparently Lily Potter's maiden name. I didn't want Potter because that would sound atrocious, so I stuck with Evans, and really Pimly Potters sounds stupid. Pimly Evans has a better ring too it don't you think?
It takes a really sane person to think insanely.
If an insane person thinks insane they are crazy. If an sane person thinks insanely it's art. It that insane or what?

What am I?

To save myself from an insane argument, I consider myself completely sane.

As far as you know.

Get to know me Pimly Evans, 1st Year, Gryffindor House
Cassidy DeFranco
No broom

Post by Cassidy DeFranco »

I picked the first name Cassidy because it's always been a favorite name of mine. I was originally going to go with Cassandra, but that seemed too long.
The last name DeFranco is actually the last name of one of my favorite youtubers, Phillip DeFranco. Have any of you ever heard of him? I also picked it because its Italian, and I'm half-Italian.
Isabel Wong
No broom

Post by Isabel Wong »

My name is extremely uninteresting because ... well it is my first name. Haha when i first joined HOL I didn't know we are allowed to come up with fake names so I just put my real name :P
Cassandra Black
No broom

Post by Cassandra Black »

Cassandra Black :)

Well, my real name is Casey but i didn't want that as my HOL name so I used Cassandra which is where the name Casey comes from, and also my brother calls e Cassandra because he thinks of it as a witchy name, and i'm really into witchcraft and stuff! I chose the last name Black simply because I love Sirius! :)
Marte Rosso
No broom

Post by Marte Rosso »

Marte means "Mars", and it's been my online handle for a while. Rosso can either mean "red" or "Russian" :P I'm in love with Russian history and culture, and I could think of nothing else that sounded like an actual name so I went with it.
Claire Inkling
No broom

Post by Claire Inkling »

I chose the name Claire Inkling, and I thought about it for a long time first. Claire was my grandmother's name, but it is also the name of the main character in The Time Traveler's Wife, which I was reading at the time that I needed to choose a name. I came up with Inkling because it sound like it has to do with books and writing, and to me it sounds very British. I've always wished I were British. I like how a lot of the names in HP sound like ordinary British names, not necessarily magical ones, so that's the kind of name I went for.
Alexandria Marcel
No broom

Post by Alexandria Marcel »

Nothing really special about my name
its the name i use for my OC
i wanted to have the last name of Black, but apparently there was already an Alexandria Black :(
Oh well i like Marcel better, it doesn't really have a meaning i kinda made it up on the spot, i don't know if its an actual surname or not
I choose Alexandria for my OC's name because i really wish that was my name XD (not that i don't like my rl name)
'I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses.
I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory,
and even put a stopper in death.'
~Severus Snape

I am a proud
RAVENCLAW
Jaena Langston
No broom

Post by Jaena Langston »

Jaena was really just the first combination of letters I put together in my head. It looked pretty when I typed it out, so Jaena I became.

Langston is the last name of the first HP character I ever played, in a room my friend Alice created. Her name was Aerin (who I have listed in my profile as Jaena's older sister ^_^), and in the room we played in, she was the Arithmancy professor and the Head of Ravenclaw, so imagine my delight when Jaena was sorted into Ravenclaw! Continuing the proud tradition of Langstons.
These are dark and dangerous times

Classes: None Yet
I'm an ickle firstie, come be my friend!
Sig by Me ^_^
Kaitlyn Fox
No broom

Post by Kaitlyn Fox »

I chose Kaitlyn because I like the name, and Fox came fro my best friend's favorite animal.
Thanks to Jenna for the lovely signature.
Estelle Lupa
No broom

Post by Estelle Lupa »

I got Estelle from the evlish word Estel, which means "hope". In LOTR, it's also what Aragorn was called until he was 20 and taught what his true heritage was. As much as I adore Harry Potter, Aragorn has always been one of my favorite characters in literature, so that's partly the reason. The other reason is that my grandmother's middle name was Hope. It just seemed meant to be that I use this name for something. I plan on naming my daughter Estelle. Or it could be her middle name. Either way.

Lupa is because Lupin is my favorite Harry Potter Character, but I didn't just want to use "Lupin" for a last name. Aren't I creative? haha.
Solix Fortis
No broom

Post by Solix Fortis »

Hm, it was a long evolution, I used to go by trewq144 on forums, which eventually became Trewq, which later became solitrewq or solixtrewq whenever trewq was taken... since I like the idea of "alone/one/only" (The prefix soli is a Latin root along those lines). And from there the Solix name was born. My last name "Fortis", kind of came to me in my mini brainstorming session when I thought of an old internet friend who used to go by the username "Forte". Fortis means something along the lines of "strong" in Latin.

So yeah. I like latin :D (and HP seems to be a very Latin steeped place anyways)
Alhena Turpin
No broom

Post by Alhena Turpin »

Alhena is a name of the star in Gemini Constellation. There was a time when I loved astronomy and I decided if I'll have twins, then I name them Alhena and Castor. Eh, good childish wishes. Still, 15 years later I have sentiment for this name.
Turpin is a surname of a girl who was sorted to Ravenclaw in first book of Harry Potter, and since I'm Ravenclaw in my heart, I picked up this surname.
Thanks to Dario for siggy and avatar
Verita Consili
No broom

Post by Verita Consili »

Verita comes from "Veritas", which means truth and was/is the goddess of truth in Roman mythology.

Consili comes from "Consilii" which is the singular genitive form of "consilium" in Latin. It would most easily/directly translate as "counsel". Depending on context, that can be taken as the counsel or wisdom/knowledge/intelligence vs an actual group of people who serve "counsel". I liked it better than the other Latin possibilities, so it kind of stuck and lost an i along the way. :P

So...

The name together is meant to mean something along the lines of "Truth in Knowledge" or "Wisdom's Truth"

~V
Luna Sarasvati Watson
No broom

Post by Luna Sarasvati Watson »

Luna Sarasvati Watson is my HOL name and I'm a badger :)

Luna comes from Luna Torashyngu, an author from Indonesia (my country). that tells my hobby, writing. haha
Sarasvati Watson from Rachel Sarasvati Watson, the character of Luna's novel, Mawa Merah (red rose). rachel is an assasin. but she's very kind actually. hahaha

actually, my name is Wina, means the winner

nice to meet you here ^^
Amelia Paxley
No broom

Post by Amelia Paxley »

heh, well, my name hasn't got much to it. I used the name 'Amelia' because my mother always wanted to call me that, but was overriden by my dad. I think it's a beautiful name, myself. 'Paxley' is because I like the sound of it... it's a cool name! ;D
Star Andromeda Black
No broom

Post by Star Andromeda Black »

My name here is Star Andromeda Black.

My first name, Star, is a name I use regularly. My spiritual name is EveningStar and everyone calls me Star for short. I chose Andromeda as a middle name just because I liked it and it is a Black family name.... And I Chose Black because my favorite Harry Potter character has always been Sirius Black. And I,like Sirius, is considered the black sheep of my family... They don't like me and I don't like them... My character has a lot in common with me and Sirius Black.
Siggy by ME!!!

"We're given a code to live our lives by. We don't always follow it, but it's still there." `Gary Oldman, Actor ~Sirius Black

|| Star Andromeda Black || st941 || 3rd Year || Hufflepuff ||
Katie Duncan
No broom

Post by Katie Duncan »

I couldn't think of a name! I used my real first name, then used an online name generator to find which last name sounds good with my first name.

Return to “The Great Hall”