What Is In A Name?

General Notices and Discussions

Moderator: Prefects

Ryan Lobiesk
No broom

Post by Ryan Lobiesk »

Well my name is Ryan Lobiesk for one, Ryan is my real name , and 2 Lobiesk is my sister's naem and i follow in her footsteps (Cassandra Lobiesk and she is really my cousin but sister in HOL)
Please remember that people have feelings. Newbies are people too.

I'd like the world to know that I am fabulous, beautiful, phenom, and amazing. Christiana Aguilera dedicated her hit single, "Beautiful" to me as did James Blunt with his smash hit "You're Beautiful."

[Ryan Lobiesk] [ry370] [Ravenclaw] [Sixth Year] [Preppy!Ryan]
Marilla Nenar

Post by Marilla Nenar »

well my name is elvish (from LOTR which i LOVE), i basically went to some elvish dictionaries online.
Marilla=pearl
Nenar=Neptune
neptune is my favorite planet and i liked Marilla as a first name.
it kinda works too.
"pearl of neptune"
Marilla Nenar

Post by Marilla Nenar »

oh and i also thought that it kinda sounded like a name of a hogwarts student
it's not a normal name (at least to my knowledge) but it's not a completely different name.
it sounds very english but yet not really muggle english.
Irene McIntosh

Post by Irene McIntosh »

Well, first of all Irene was an ancient Greek peace goddes, and it means peace and tranquility. My last name is Scotish and dont know what it means /happy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="^_^" border="0" alt="happy.gif" />

Irene
Mallory Morse
No broom

Post by Mallory Morse »

I have no idea what my name means. I picked it after playing with the keys on my keyboard. After a while Mallory Morse is just what came out.
Parvati Delacour
No broom

Post by Parvati Delacour »

Ella Chambers wrote:My name came from the Book "Ella enchanted"
I really thought that name was pretty, and it also means "she" in spanish.
I like the name Ella too. By the way, I love that book!!!!

Anyways, my HOL name, Parvati, is the name of a Hindu goddess (and after Parvati Patil of course!). I just picked it because I thought it was a cool name and different. You don't really come across that name too often! /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
Parvati Delacour l pa360 l Third Year l Hufflepuff
Juliet Black
No broom

Post by Juliet Black »

I just happened to be studying Romeo and Juliet when I joined. Yes it's that interesting. And Sirius is my favourite Hp character. I couldn't think of any other good constellation names... my real name is Kristen, but I hear enough of that.
Hermione: "Harry, I've been thinking -- you know what we've got to do, don't you? Straight away, the moment we get back to the castle?"
Harry: "Yeah, give Ron a good kick up the--"
Hermione: "Write to Sirius."
Angelina Diggory
No broom

Post by Angelina Diggory »

i chose my name after two characters Angelina Johnson and Cedric Diggory...Angelina 'cause i love names that start with "A" (don't ask me why i just find them attractive)and also the fact that she's in the Gryffindor quiditch team wich i find really cool that there are girls who play and really good....and i really liked Cedric and all the things he did and i really imagine him being a cute guy /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
/“Do, or do not. There is no 'try'.â€Â￾ -Yoda-/
/Wand: Purpleheart, 11 1/2 inches, Fairy Dust/
Asano Rain
No broom

Post by Asano Rain »

Some of you have really pretty names (love the Tinuviel one...).

asa no rain = morning's rain (Japanese)

There ya go, loves. :]
eternity, when you're next to me

[color=C0C0C0]- P[/color]ro[color=C0C0C0]ud [/color]Sl[color=C0C0C0]yt[/color]he[color=C0C0C0]ri[/color]n -
Angelyn Brielle
No broom

Post by Angelyn Brielle »

my real name's Angelica... i dont like it... i grew up thinking my name was Angel because all my family called me that. u can imagine my surprise when people started calling me Angelica in the 5th grade when i moved to a new school. i mean, i HATED it... i wasn't used to it...
and then i loved the -LYN at the end of names so i just connected it to my name: Angelyn...
Brielle is the name i chose for my first daughter.. it's french for a certain goddess (that i can't remember the name of at the moment)

so that is the history of my name.... toodles noodles!
.:[[Image]]:.
Sage Green

Post by Sage Green »

Why my name...

Well I love greens and herbs in particular Sage which has a lot more uses than just as part of a stuffing mix...

my eyes are green so they desribe me, and my likes..

Sage
Maggie McGravin
No broom

Post by Maggie McGravin »

My name (Maggie McGravin) has absolutely nothing to do with my muggle backround...I originally chose the the Lily McGravin, but when I was trying to sign up for that, I screwed up, and found that Maggie would be a really cool name.

hehehe I like it!
~Maggie McGravin~
11 1/2 inches, Persimmon
with a core of Powdered Dragon Scales

How did YOU celebrate New Years?
Slazar Riddle
No broom

Post by Slazar Riddle »

Slazar (I want Salazar but I think i can't have that name) and Riddle

And my old name Carlos my real name and Malfoy I don't know why Malfoy /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
Slazar Riddle | Slytherin | ca300

KC Case
No broom

Post by KC Case »

My name has my beloved boy's name in it... Kc, and i needed to think of something that would sound good... so i picked Case... lol..

oh... by the way... my boy = my horse... Kc, who is the love of my life and i will never ever give him up for anything else... no... not even a real man... i have even broken up with guys because they belived that i don't need to spend at the VERY least 3 hours everyday at the barn riding my horse and spending time with him, and that i could miss a week from the barn to spend time with my boyfriend... sorry no sir-e.. like i said... my boy is the most important thing in my life... but yes.. i do belive that in every gud relationship you should spend time with each other...but no one can come between a gurl and her hoss...lol /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Kc Case
"This is my Family. I found it, all on my own. It is little, and broken... but still good. Yea.. still good." - Lilo &Stitch "I know, this house I tell you, there's nothing here for you, just the old man and the girl, they live ordinary lives."LM
Selenus Adalberth
No broom

Post by Selenus Adalberth »

I chose my first name after the Latin word for Moon : Selenae. I made sure ist sounded "male", by turning it to Selenus.

For my last name it was easier I took my real name and spelt it in the most ancient way (Germanic origin) : Adal (bright) and Berth (noble). The real name I bear is a French evolution of this, maybe with a Norse variation as it is very common in Normandy.
Selenus Adalberth
RavenClaw
Selenus : moonish
Adalberth : noble and bright
Lyndsie Fenele

Post by Lyndsie Fenele »

Ella Chambers wrote:My name came from the Book "Ella enchanted"
I really thought that name was pretty, and it also means "she" in spanish.
the 'll' sound in 'ella' is pronounced like a y in english. so the word isn't actually like the name. (you may know this already) personally i think the name Ella is much prettier than the spanish ella (pronounced more like "aeya" in english...actually that's not phonetically accurate but not many people would know how to pronounce the vowels like linguists do). anyway...this is not the point. i really mean so say that i like the name Ella!
Lyndsie Fenele

Post by Lyndsie Fenele »

well, i don't like to admit it, but my full and correct name is terrible. i was named Erimentha Rianna Fenele. Erimentha is Greek for 'collector of thoughts; determined protector' and Rianna is Welsh or something for 'sweet basil; virtuous'. i don't know why my parents thought that Erimentha was a good name, but i hate it, so i started using the name Lyndsie for no reason other than that it sounds normal. coincidentally, there are a lot of plant references in my name. Lyndsie (as a variation of Lyndsay) means 'linden trees near the water' and Fenele could be considered a variation on the herb fennel (though it's pronounced with the second e long and the last silent; like Faneel, not fanelly).
Lydia Potter

Post by Lydia Potter »

My first name is Lydia and I was going to be Hermioney /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> (not spelled that way)/biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> Potter and I could not remeber it so I did Lydia Potter. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />
Alazair Higgins

Post by Alazair Higgins »

You know...I have no idea where Alazair Higgins came from. I just typed it...and I liked it. He came out of nowhere I think. And such a little devil he can be too... /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Return to “The Great Hall”