What Is In A Name?

General Notices and Discussions
Suki Kohana
No broom

Post by Suki Kohana » Mon Jan 06, 2003 1:02 am

Heeey. How is everyone? I'm a newbie here at HOL ^.^

Okey, my name...well I'm very interested in the Japanese language so I decided on a Japanese name that had meaning. Heheheh, kinda crazy right? Well anywhos...I came across "Suki" which means beloved and I thought I'd stick with that for a while and I just now needed a last name. So I found "Kohana" which means little flower (I think ^.^). So together they would put Beloved Little Flower (Suki Kohana).

See you all later ^.^
Ayesha Destiny

Post by Ayesha Destiny » Sat Jan 11, 2003 5:55 am

Well I love Arabic names and Ayesha is my fave one and I liked Destiny because it sounded 'mysterious' (yeah right, more like 'dorky').
Azalia Greenleaf
No broom

Post by Azalia Greenleaf » Sat Jan 11, 2003 6:33 am

oh no, i cant remember if ive posted here.

Azalia means 'spared by Jehovah (god)' but i was gonna have Azalea at first cos they are my fave flowers.

Greenleaf, well i love LotR and i love nature and i love Legolas and that name has a huge history thing i made up behind it and im not gonna go into that.

My last name was going to be Undomiel or Evenstar, but i decided against it for reasons you would find out if you heard my 'history' thing i wrote.

(did you know Legolas actually means 'Greenleaf'? lasse is a form of an elvish word for leaf. thats where the end of legolas comes from, hehe)
Preppy!Azalia | Ravenclaw ^v^
Pru McThyra

Post by Pru McThyra » Sat Jan 11, 2003 10:13 am

Mine is not interesting at all. All it is two names that are female, all I did on the last naem part was add a 'Mc' on it, making it last-name-ish. But Pru means intelligence and Thyra means shield-bearer, a mixture of intellect and bravery. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> [hugz]

Go the mixtues of HP, LOTR and FF names, lol, three of my most fav books/movies/games. /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> [huggzles] DC
Severus Lucy

Post by Severus Lucy » Sat Jan 11, 2003 1:45 pm

My real name is Lucía, and it means in latin 'The first light'. I put here 'Lucy' because I think that it would be more proper in an english site, and Severus first because I´m hoppelesly devoted to our sexy Potions Master... who is not?

/wub.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wub:" border="0" alt="wub.gif" />

Eternally Yours. Severus Lucy.

[QUOTE]
Andy Smerds
No broom

Post by Andy Smerds » Sat Jan 11, 2003 2:53 pm

Hi all

Love some of the comments about name choice - can see it reflected in some of your avatars - e.g Alicia - now where have I seen that on a cloak before....

My name is quite boring really

Andy - first name
Smerds - an abbrieviated surname

Didn't even think about being original - can't be bothered changing it now.

Ah well... /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />
Good things come to he who waits......

But he who waits longest comes last.

Wand: Ivory, 6 1/2 inches, Fairy wing - Oh No!! That poor fairy!!
Allegra Rasgota
No broom

Post by Allegra Rasgota » Sat Jan 11, 2003 3:59 pm

Rikku - my fave FFX caracter & the lead in this lotr roleplay im doin

Moranov - i love russian sounding names! i dont no why, and a couple of months ago, moranov woz the first to come to my head so i just kinda stuck with it

not 2 interestin but it works for me!
Allegra Rasgota|ri355|Badger|Co-Head Cheerleader

Ophedia Catcher

Post by Ophedia Catcher » Sat Jan 11, 2003 4:39 pm

Names eh?...

OPHEDIA - is a genus of snake.
CATCHER - self explainatory!! (I just love the little blighters)

We av 2 snakes, a scorpion and 2 underwater frogs!!

If it were up to me we'd have loads more!!! /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

THERE U AV IT!! /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />
Myndi Nailuj

Post by Myndi Nailuj » Sun Jan 12, 2003 12:49 am

How I Picked My Name:
Well my first name is Myndi and then Nailuj is Julian backwards. And Julian is the guy I like. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> It's not very interesting. But that's how it happened! /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Love from,
Myndi
Bianca James

Post by Bianca James » Sun Jan 12, 2003 1:00 am

My name is actually Bianca and I love it, I am gonna name my first daughter that lol. James is the actual first name of my boyfriend even though he goes by his middle name Eli.
Prof. Ashlee Sully
Moontrimmer

Post by Prof. Ashlee Sully » Sun Jan 12, 2003 1:31 am

I've posted here but I am going to do it again.

I am currently trying to change my last name "Sully" due to the fact that someone isnt happy because its their real name, no one here at HOL though.

Im going to use my middle name Valencia which means "brave". I got that name of my grandmother. So im just hanging out to see if I can get the change /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
Retired Slytherin Professor || Lover of Chocolate || Addicted to Frogs

Samantha Wanzo
No broom

Post by Samantha Wanzo » Fri Jan 17, 2003 5:32 am

Azalia Greenleaf wrote:oh no, i cant remember if ive posted here.

Azalia means 'spared by Jehovah (god)
My mums a Johovahs Witness. She's really hates it that I read the Harry Potter books. Jahovahs witnesses are REALLY stricked! They don't do birthdays, or nothing. No holidays what so ever! It's really weird, but I'm use to it.

Really cool that you got that for a name. See ya around.
|Samantha Wanzo|Image|3rd Year|Sa311|
Chelsea Bloom

Post by Chelsea Bloom » Fri Jan 17, 2003 6:25 am

My (real) name means pure, but tons of ones that don't even sound like it do too.
My friend's name (Cody) has an interesting meaning, Cushion. (What I really want to know is...why would anyone want to be named after a cushion? Unless cushions were revered and respected in some ancient culture...Im still not clear on that).
Ariel Malfoy

Post by Ariel Malfoy » Fri Jan 17, 2003 5:34 pm

Ariel is a name I've always liked, and Draco Malfoy is my favourite character, so... /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Ariel Malfoy
Sienna Isabella

Post by Sienna Isabella » Fri Jan 17, 2003 6:41 pm

Sienna is a name that I've liked for a long time, and Isabel is another name that I've always liked. I put it together, and got Sienna Isabella.
Eleanor Chambers
Oakshaft 79

Post by Eleanor Chambers » Fri Jan 17, 2003 6:52 pm

My name came from the Book "Ella enchanted"
I really thought that name was pretty, and it also means "she" in spanish.
`,'.
[color=996633]/
ELLA|[/color]| Gryffindor| Fourth Year |
Angharad Granger

Post by Angharad Granger » Sat Jan 18, 2003 2:23 am

I picked Angharad because the name of the main character in my favorite book is Angharad, and I picked Granger because I'm very much like Hermione /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />
Lucius Krum
No broom

Post by Lucius Krum » Sat Jan 18, 2003 2:44 am

I picked Lucius, 'cause Lucius Malfoy is (in my opinion) a very cool guy, I like a lot his way to be, he's so evil and powerful. I think he is one of the most interesting characters of the hole HP series.

And Krum (obviously) for the great belgican seeker. I think Viktor Krum is the model to be a perfect quidditch player. He's also very cool.

That's why I'm Lucius Krum.
WAR IS OVER! If you want it
John Lennon

Faye Gauthier

Post by Faye Gauthier » Sat Jan 18, 2003 7:36 am

I have not a very interesting reason. This is just my middle and last name. : ) (My first is "Thérèse" -- after the saint chosen by my mother and my grandmother for their communion. [Mine is "Jeanne", for we are both "girls of Lorraine". ] But this is perhaps too much information. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> )
Emolay Granger

Post by Emolay Granger » Sun Jan 19, 2003 12:56 am

Emolay is my nickname, Granger is for Hermione, because I am very mcuh like her!

Return to “The Great Hall”