What Is In A Name?

General Notices and Discussions

Moderator: Prefects

Megaera Selwyn
No broom

Post by Megaera Selwyn »

Megaera is, of course, one of the Furies (Erinyes) of Greek mythology. I chose it because there is a character in the HP books called Alecto and she is another of the Furies. Megaera also sounds like a good, pureblooded name, which is what my HOL character is supposed to be. ;)

Selwyn is from the HP books as well. An old, pureblood name apparently. I chose it because I wanted a more "wizard" name but not be one of hundreds of Malfoys, Snapes, etc on here.

Put them together and you have a prissy, holier-than-thou, pureblood witch with possible Death-Eater connections. :lol:
Last edited by Megaera Selwyn on Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meg | me891
"School, nuthouse, what’s the difference when you get right down to it? Dumb rules and bad food in both places.â€￾ ~ Marco, Animorphs
Kiri Galdor
No broom

Post by Kiri Galdor »

Kiri is a Maori name meaning Tree or originates from Cambodia meaning Mountain.
I was told it meant little bird...hmm. Tree or Mountain is fine though.

Galdor is the name of an elf from Lord of the Rings who came from the Grey Havens, a messenger for Cirdan, the Shipwright.

Thats me.

Made by the fabulous Annie

Bring me fun, bring me sunshine, bring me love....

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity -- Dorothy Parker
Lyance Carter
No broom

Post by Lyance Carter »

I was registering for HOL and thought of the first thing that came into my mind. Lyance was the name of a very dear friend of mine. And carter. Well I just thought it would sound cool.

[Especially when I am down.. I love to see the look in your face. And mesmerize.] || Motto of the day : Enjoy life as we know it.
Ondine Li
No broom

Post by Ondine Li »

Ondine is the name of a water nymph from German mythology, and I'm pretty fond of sea creatures. Also, an Undine is a water spirit or a water elemental usually found in water falls and forest pools. As for the last name, Li, I'm a big fan of Asian culture and it's an old name a friend of mine calls me sometimes.
Penelope Garrido-Mitchell
No broom

Post by Penelope Garrido-Mitchell »

Well, Penny comes from my real name, Penelope, but Penny is way easier to type :P My surname Bilkus, is a different spelling of my real surname. My real surname's Lithuanian and "Bilkus" is how we spell it to most people as they can pronounce it :P

I needed something I could remember, but I realised I had quite a good memory as I made up a username for another site. That one was "Hayden Alanna Lisbeth Odilia Tiasa" and I actually managed to remember it :P

I wish I'd chosen something more interesting.

Like Fionnuala Lesen. Fionnuala is the Irish version of Penelope. And Lesen is my favourite activity, reading!
Talitha Asher
No broom

Post by Talitha Asher »

Talitha is my real first name. Asher comes from Cobra Starship's Victoria Asher
Last edited by Talitha Asher on Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ava Summers
No broom

Post by Ava Summers »

My name is quite simple... I chose 'Ava' as my first name because it is a name I have always liked and it's also I name I chose because I do not know anybody with this name, and I don't associate a face to it when I hear it. It makes me feel somewhat original hehe...

As for my last name Summers, well that is somewhat self-explanatory I guess... I chose it because Summer is my favorite season and I thought that my name would be a good representation of myself :)
|| Ava Summers || First Year || Ravenclaw || av818 ||
Terry Potter
No broom

Post by Terry Potter »

actually I wanted to steal the magic in the Harry Potter name without breaking HOL rules, so I thought that I might get a name that goes with Harry which is Terry and get Potter as a surname. and I have the habit of finding the meaning of the names so I searched Terry and found that it means (Powerful or a supreme ruler) , so in the end I like my HOL name

The goal of my life is not to live down to your expectations
Kiora Quigley
No broom

Post by Kiora Quigley »

Bot Kiora and Quigley are Irish names, Kiora means 'small and dark' and Quigley 'unkempt', which pretty much sums up my outer appearance. So that's the whole story.
Virendra Murphy
No broom

Post by Virendra Murphy »

When I signed up, I decided I wanted a different and creative name that no one had but that sounded cool too. So I went searching and I found Virendra which was original and means "Brave noble person" which I thought worked pretty well.

Murphy is from Audie Murphy who is one of the most decorated US soldiers. I read his book and a few years back and look up to the type of person he was and the things he did, therefore I used Murphy for my last name! (it means "Descendant Of Sea Warrior" and my grandparents were in the Navy so that was a plus!)

=D
Violet Harker
No broom

Post by Violet Harker »

I just like the name Violet. It's a family name too, so easy to remember. The last name came from Mina Harker, one of my favorite literary characters of all time.
Vivyx Ventricosa
No broom

Post by Vivyx Ventricosa »

I completely made up my first name. I just thought it sounded pretty cool and I like having a "yx" in it. And for my last name Ventricosa is some type of carnivourus plant. That's basically it.
Sosha McGonagall
No broom

Post by Sosha McGonagall »

My first name, Sohsa, was just a name I made from my head and I liked it very much.
My last name, Mcgonagall, is the last name Of Minerva Mcgonagall, whom is my fave teacher, and is also my mother.
Love is the greatest magic, it can put you on top of the world, or it can destroy your world...

G r y f f i n d o r !
Marie Crouch
No broom

Post by Marie Crouch »

easy to answer :D
My 1st name comes from my kitten. She´s called Marie.
My 2nd name comes from my favorite footie-player: Peter Crouch
Just liked the name wink.gif
Alva Saint-Clair
No broom

Post by Alva Saint-Clair »

Hmm... What's in my name? The first honest thought that came across my mind is "saintly" :lol:

I chose Alva because it's kind of like my real name... But it's not my real first name. :ph34r: Alva is a twist of the greek letter Alpha, whih means first. I really liked it, because I liked to be ahead of things, the first to know gossips... You get the idea. ;)
As for Saint-Clair, I have no idea why I chose that name. It's one of the cool surnames I found while reading Da Vinci code and after trying several names to decide which sounds best with Alva, I chose Saint-Clair. I'm really starting to get attached to my name... :lol:
"Such a lovely, sweet tempered girl."
Anathema Grievous Ferwheel
No broom

Post by Anathema Grievous Ferwheel »

Well, Anathema is my nickname in games and forums for 2.5 years, so that's my first name. Then Grievous is my favourite Star Wars character :lol: And Ferwheel means excitement because it's Fer Wheel, like Ferris Wheel. That's about it.
The Pact is Sealed!
Mirelle Alessandra
No broom

Post by Mirelle Alessandra »

Well, i like the name Mirelle. So, I used it as my HOL name. As for Alessandra, well, I got it from the name of 1 of y favorite models :)
Evelina Hawthorne
No broom

Post by Evelina Hawthorne »

Well, this book I'm reading is amazing. The main character is Evelina (hence the title). It was written in the 18th century and is just so lovely!
And I got my last name from one of my favourite authors, Nathaniel Hawthorne.
Aurelia Odyssey
No broom

Post by Aurelia Odyssey »

My first name came from a book I was reading a while ago and my last name came from the famous Literature by Homer.
Melody Sunshine
No broom

Post by Melody Sunshine »

Well i always like the name Melody and if i was to change my name i proberly change it to this, and as for Sunshine well my faviourte season is summer even though i wasn't born in summer its still my faviourte as i like the bright sunshine from it.
Last edited by Melody Sunshine on Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Great Hall”