What Is In A Name?

General Notices and Discussions

Moderator: Prefects

Kaiohan Glass
No broom

Post by Kaiohan Glass »

My name sounded good to me. I use Kaiohan for everything. But this is the first time I've had to create a last name. So I chose mine Glass. It sounded good at the time. Though my friends don't like it. Oh well.
ka550-First year-Ravenclaw
Naomi Tonks
No broom

Post by Naomi Tonks »

Naomi is just a fun name to say. I don't know why. . .it seems so simple, but i love it! and I got Tonks from the HP books, because Tonks is my fave character!
"Ma, I gotta tell ya that without a doubt I get my best dancing lessons from you. You're the one who taught me how to twist and shout because you shout nonstop and you're so twisted, too! Woh-oh-oh-oh!" ~Penny Pingleton from the hit musical Hairspray.

Luv to all,
Naomi Tonks
Sydney Brunestow
No broom

Post by Sydney Brunestow »

Well, for me, seeing as I'm obsessed with Alias, I chose Sydney. The surname, Brunestow, is a combination of Bristow, aka Sydney Bristow /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> and my friend's dog's name Bruno. Lol!
Thanks to Aelita from the ID Card Shop for the avatar and siggy!!!!
Julie Garnet
No broom

Post by Julie Garnet »

Julie is my real first name and Garnet comes from Final Fantasy IX's lovely Garnet Til Alexandros.
October Allion
No broom

Post by October Allion »

October Allion is one of my RP characters. So, when stuck for a name, she popped up /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />
Pearl Mele
No broom

Post by Pearl Mele »

n.n Pearl is my natural name, so I just chose that. Mele is a Hawaiian name I looked up in a name dictionary. It means "song" and since I like to sing, or as my brother puts it, screech, I picked Mele. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

}}Pearl{{
Rory Evans
No broom

Post by Rory Evans »

I'm afraid there is no deep meaning behind my name! I went through several baby name sites and found a first name I liked. Then I looked for a last name that would go well with it.

Although, Evans is the last name of two of the characters on Roswell (my favorite show!), so perhaps that was subconscious. Hmmm.
Belle Vespera
No broom

Post by Belle Vespera »

I love Disney, and I've always liked Belle in Beauty and the Beast, cause she was more down to earth than most of the Disney females. Vespera was actually from the latin word 'vesper' which means 'evening star'. I added an 'a' to make it look more like a name, and 'vespera' means 'evening prayer'. I didn't know that until I did a search on the word right now /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />
Tiamat Buchanan
No broom

Post by Tiamat Buchanan »

My name came about because I found "Tiamat" in a book, and she was the legendary Queen of the Dragons, when dragons ruled the earth before people came to be. "Buchanan" is the Scottish clan I'm related to (although it's not my real last name). Plus, I hosted a Yahoo! Herbology class for a couple years as Prof. Tiamat Buchanan, which was lots of fun. So I figured I'd keep it!

I even had a whole character worked out, with what she looked like, special things she could do, stuff like that.
Tyler Wood
No broom

Post by Tyler Wood »

Wow, I feel kind of weird, my name isn't some sort of special thing out of a book. Well i guess when i think about it, its special to me because Tyler was my aunts name until she passed away but it also happens to be my actual name.

Tye

Just in case anyone hasn't noticed I use my nickname Tye all the time, so anyone can call me that.

edited to remove your real last name, please refrain from discussing real names /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
Last edited by Tyler Wood on Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
~*Tye*~

Tyler Wood | First Year | Slytherin | ty555

When we were little we were told to color inside the lines but if we live that way, then whats the point of living?

Once you have hit rock bottom, the only way to go is up.

. . . Always reach for the stars . . . . you're bound to grasp something. . .
Ena Brown
No broom

Post by Ena Brown »

My Name is very interesting i really have a long name|[deleted real name]| So i was thinking well it is wierd i thought about my hol name the day before regration was open that way once i woke up i would register.| Dec/20/2004| that was the date and actualy i was the firsdt on to register. That is even more funny. Anyways my name:
Ena:
Well i like the name a lot
Brown:
First thing that came to mind

I've deleted your real name. Remember the HOL rule, that NO real names are allowed to be posted here or on any other HOL boards or on IRC channels.
Last edited by Ena Brown on Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Morgy at Hogmade ID Shop
Aluren Haggerty
No broom

Post by Aluren Haggerty »

My name really came from something very simple. Online, my friends kept mispelling my name wrong. Eventually it just became Aluren. I thought it'd be fun to use it for something instead of just a wierd nick name.
Phoenicia Mellyn
No broom

Post by Phoenicia Mellyn »

I chose my name from books.It's kind of intriguing,how writers come up with names.I wasn't eager to imagine up a name,for it may sound bad,and I would probably get tired of it.So I chose "Phoenicia" and "Mellyn".At first I wanted to choose "Mellyn Phoenicia" but that would be ridiculous.So here I am,Phoenicia Mellyn.I'd like to hear more on names (not real names,but HOL names),I find it so interesting.. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

^Signature and avatar by me^
Phoenicia Mellyn | First Year | Gryffindor | 2005
Azana Moon
No broom

Post by Azana Moon »

Well, in fourth grade my friends and I were coming up with nicknames for a 'club' or something (I was a weird fourth grader...) and I came up with 'Azana'. The name actually stuck, and so now I use the nickname for practically everything on the internet!

The 'Moon' part came from a neopets username I have (and my email), which is azana_moon. Having the same username for everything makes it so much easier to remember...
Rosabella Stanley
No broom

Post by Rosabella Stanley »

Mines is a combination of my name with a twist (the whole bella part) and my friends last name /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
-made by me
David Ravenfeather
No broom

Post by David Ravenfeather »

David is my real name and it is a name of great jewish king. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> It sounds good.

Ravenfeather has two reasons. One of them is my relationship to Ravenclaw House. Second one is name by person from book "Mammoth Hunters" by Eduard Storch (czech author). Ravenfeather was a smart prehistorian boy who always knew what to do.
Aphy Snape
No broom

Post by Aphy Snape »

My name is a combination of things.
I first started using the name Aphrael online far too many years ago (back in the days of Telnet), it's taken from the David Edddings novels. Over time it got contracted to Aphy and stuck.

Snape - obvious one, he's my favourite character and appeals to my Slyth side.

Put the two together and you have Aphy Snape, who now has a complete bio away from HOL.
Avery Ackart
No broom

Post by Avery Ackart »

I picked Avery and Ackart b/c they both start with A, are both Saxon in origin, and I like their meanings. Avery means "ruler of the elves" and Ackart means "firm-hearted".
Jasmine Flores

Post by Jasmine Flores »

Hmmm, well I got my name "Jasmine" from that American Idol finalist, Jasmine Trias, and I thought that first name was really pretty. And my last name, it reminded me of Florida. You pronounce me "e" in "Flores" like, "elephant," so yeah...well, there you have it! That's how I got my name!
Sera Maxwell
No broom

Post by Sera Maxwell »

My class was competing in English class to come up with names that were spelled differently, but pronounce the same. My grouop came up with Sera, and I guess I kinda liked it, so I used it.
A Gryffindor. Cool.

Return to “The Great Hall”