Gathering and Games

General Notices and Discussions
Sky Alton
Comet 180

Re: Gathering and Games

Post by Sky Alton » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:07 pm

Remember we'll be in #gamesroom from 5 until 8 PM HOL time tomorrow. See you there!
"Some things never change, turn around and the time has flown. Some things stay the same, though the future remains unknown."
(Av/sig by S. Elf)
Sky Alton
Comet 180

Post by Sky Alton » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:59 pm

Gathering and Games will return on Sunday 15th December, 5 until 8 PM HOL-time. We hope you’ll join us in the cosy Games Room for hours of fun and festivities, guaranteed to chase away the winter chill.

Our first session of the school year back in October was full of perennial favourites. We started off with the devious language challenge of ‘Just One’ and triumphed as not a single word was incorrectly identified. Particular highlights were Adaleine Shuster guessing tomato from pizza, ketchup and vine and Kendra Givens identifying planet from revolve, space, terrestrial and Pluto. Fire was also a hoot for anyone with fond memories of 90s TV (5 beans to anyone who can guess where this quote Will Lestrange mentioned is from: ‘You can’t Mfire me, I Mquit’.)

We rounded off the night with high action as we engaged in a game of espionage, a visit to the tombs and a spot of interrogation. Prof. Tarma Black did very well to go unsuspected but unfortunately for her, her mission was ultimately a failure so the beach-dwelling players walked off with the rather sandy victory in Spyfall. Curse-breakers was up next: Tarma and Will emerged victorious from a dangerous treasure hunting expedition with a score of 39 each, though special mention has to be made of Adaleine who courageously stayed in the ruins the longest out of everyone. Last of all was Who Am I with Adaleine doing a convincing turn as Susan Bones (unmasked by Tarma) and Tarma befuddling everyone yet again as Fluffy the Three Headed Dog.

See you on the 15th!
"Some things never change, turn around and the time has flown. Some things stay the same, though the future remains unknown."
(Av/sig by S. Elf)
Sky Alton
Comet 180

Post by Sky Alton » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:59 pm

Remember that we're in #gamesroom tomorrow, 5 till 8 PM HOL time!
(Av/sig by S. Elf)
Sky Alton
Comet 180

Post by Sky Alton » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:31 pm

Get ready as Gathering and Games returns on Sunday February 23rd, 5 PM to 8 PM HOL-time! Kick back, relax and have fun with your fellow HOLers for a few hours in the games room before venturing onto the Quidditch Pitch for pickups later that evening.

Last time we had a blast vying for different jobs in the Hogwarts Internship Programme - if you’ve ever wondered what 50 kneazles, a grow your own warts kit and canary creams can do for you when it comes to gaining employment at such distinguished establishments as Gringotts and the Ministry of Magic, just ask our players. We also played a nail-biting game of Articulate which saw Prof. Tarma Black beat out Iverian Gnash by a single point. Our other games involved a visit to the werewolf infested village for a spot of Werewords (the villagers successfully unmasked the culprit) and a trip through the looking glass for 20 questions in reverse (where I was, not for the first time, called evil for my choice of thing-to-guess).

Join us on the 23rd for more fun!
(Av/sig by S. Elf)
Sky Alton
Comet 180

Post by Sky Alton » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:19 pm

Remember we'll be in #gamesroom from 5-8 PM HOL time tomorrow! Join us for games, chat and fun. Stick around after that for some action on the Quidditch Pitch too.
(Av/sig by S. Elf)
Sky Alton
Comet 180

Post by Sky Alton » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:44 pm

Students, staff and ghosts, Join us for some mid-way through the term relief on Sunday 26th April, 5-8 PM HOL time! We’ll be playing games, chatting and unwinding in #gamesroom and every HOLer is warmly welcome (you should stick around and try your hand at Quidditch with pickups a couple of hours afterwards, too).

Our last gathering saw us matching wits with words. First up it was purple vs orange in a game of Word on Diagon Alley (tug-o-war with words). Mia Fountain and Prof. Tarma Black on the purple team fought valiantly with leopards, refrigerators, baguettes and strudel but such rich and varied words as marmalade, chinchilla and wildflowers secured the victory for Will Lestrange and Adaleine Shuster on Orange.

Our second game was a regular favourite, Just One. Unintentional legilimency was apparently a real problem that day as clues got cancelled out left right and centre (who knew towels could be so troublesome?), though it settled down a bit once everyone stopped thinking quite so loudly. We rounded off the night with a quick game of Apples to Apples, with several new players joining us. I think the funniest round was when Kendra Givens suggested the adjective delicious; far be it for me to question a professor’s choice of midnight snack but Tarma and Amy's answers of bubble head charms and spectrespecs were certainly intriguing. Kylinn Valeron’s choice of sassy as an adjective turned out to be inspired, though I’m still disappointed that nobody can give me a straight answer about what exactly makes a sassy unbreakable vow (is it the content, the delivery, the fulfilment? I must know!).

Hope to see you all for more fun on the 26th!
(Av/sig by S. Elf)
Sky Alton
Comet 180

Post by Sky Alton » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:23 pm

Make sure to join us in #gamesroom tomorrow! We'll be playing games and catching up between 5 and 8 PM HOL Time and we'd love to see you there. (Why not make a day of it and stay for Quidditch Pickups afterwards too?)
(Av/sig by S. Elf)
Sky Alton
Comet 180

Post by Sky Alton » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:44 pm

Come and celebrate the end of term with us on Sunday June 28th! We’ll be in #gamesroom between 5 PM and 8 PM HOL-time and we’d love to see you there for a few hours of fun to round off the school year.

Back in April, we had a very busy session with many players joining us for the first time. We kicked things off with ‘Spell it out’ where our players had to pick which of the spells they’d been dealt would get them out of a sticky situation. We learned that the solution to being lost in the Forbidden Forest is terrible singing (according to prof. Tarma Black, anyway), saw Sindor Aloyarc defeat a grumpy squid with a pumpkin and discovered that a surprising number of the group consider animal transformations to be an excellent cure for exam stress (worth keeping in mind next time you admit to a case of the jitters around here). There was also a brief philosophical debate about what constitutes the dark side and how good their cookies are, thanks to Mia Granger.

The rest of the session was taken up by several rounds of Code Names, the anarchic team game where the Purple and Orange teams tried to guess the locations of secret agents from one word clues (without accidentally helping out the other team or getting on the wrong side of the lurking assassin). While some were as straightforward as guessing Rome from Italian or pupil from eye, others were far trickier (the very first clue of music saw people go through both rock and string before they lit on triangle). Both teams pulled off impressive victories and ended the night on a tie.

Looking forward to celebrating the end of the school year with you all on the 28th!
(Av/sig by S. Elf)
Sky Alton
Comet 180

Post by Sky Alton » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:57 pm

Let's round off the year with a celebration! Join us in #gamesroom between 5 and 8 PM HOL-time tomorrow.
(Av/sig by S. Elf)
Sky Alton
Comet 180

Post by Sky Alton » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:57 pm

In spite of the best efforts of technology to sabotage proceedings by locking out 90 % of the players for an extended period, we had an awesome final session of the year. Thank you all so much for joining us! (And if you couldn't re-join us, we're so sorry about that - hopefully this won't ever happen again).

We played a few rounds of 'Who Am I' where Prof. Tarma Black and Mia Fountain distinguished themselves as not only excellent actors but guessers as well (particular kudos to Mia for incorporating French into her Fleur impression). We then trialled a new game: Duelling Practice. This was chaotic enough to begin with as everyone disarmed, confunded and jinxed each other left right and centre (you should see the state of the great hall) but when technical difficulties hit, it got even more so. After a few emergency rounds of Where Am I (the transcendental trophy room, Quidditch pitch and prefect's bathroom, as it happens), we were finally able to rescue the duelling session. Brooke Granger even managed to win in their absence - a truly impressive display of remote wand working prowess.

Thank you to everyone who joined us this school year and in particular my tenacious and creative co-host, Prof. Amy Lupin. G and G will be taking a break over the summer (not least because I need a while to recover from the stress of that spectacular glitch) but I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Hogwarts Games Room when term begins again. Have a great summer!
(Av/sig by S. Elf)

Return to “The Great Hall”