What Is In A Name?

General Notices and Discussions

Moderator: Prefects

Lyra McManus
No broom

Post by Lyra McManus »

My dad and I had this conversation once a while ago about cool names, and the name "Lyra" came up. It came from the latin (greek? meh, whatever) for harp...lyre. Then I read the "His Dark Materials" series and liked the name even more. So when I was coming up with my HOL name, I tried to think of a cool name, I remembered the conversation and the character that I liked, and so Lyra it was.

McManus is a family name. It's not my RL last name, but I do like it and I wanted my character to be Irish. Well...Irish-American. Whatever, you get what I mean /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
"Someday we'll look back on this moment and plow into a parked car."
Drakonix Serpentspeaker
No broom

Post by Drakonix Serpentspeaker »

Drakonix is kinda a cool name (i didn't realize how close it was to 'Draco' for a looooooong time...oops) and also my character is a bit of a tough girl, a gothic, sarcastic character, so i thought it kinda matched. In my RP that I do with my peeps Drakonix is unsure of her parentage, and only knows that they're both magical and crazy (she later finds out they were both Death Eaters), and that her father killed her mother (he was convinced that her loyalty to You-Know-Who was false, even though it wasn't). She inherited the ability to speak to snakes from her mother, so when wizard law allowed her to choose her own surname since legally she didn't have one, she chose Serpentspeaker. Hooray!
Thanks to the Sig 'n' Av Palace's Cho Delacour for this awesome piece of work!

Wand: 14 inches
Elmwood handle, Ebony shaft
Dragon Heartstring core
Addy Cassic
No broom

Post by Addy Cassic »

Addy Cassic....I've always liked the name Addy, it's short for Adelina in this case, and Cassic was a surname I invented for a family on the Sims ages ago and it just popped into my head! /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> Nothing particualrly interesting but...

...only in falling does a bird learn to fly...
Lyza Zhen Haliwell
No broom

Post by Lyza Zhen Haliwell »

Lyza is the name I used in the net. Its sound is close to my real name and I feel comfortable with it. Zhen is actually derived from Zen you know peace and calmness and everything. and Haliwell of course is from the HALLIWELL the charmed.
|7 1/2" Mahogany w/ Unicorn Hair|GRYFFINDOR|3rd yr|
|PPC|Proud Rabbleteer|MuggleBorn|

siggy by Ceri McHawk
Braeden Delacour
No broom

Post by Braeden Delacour »

Before signing up, I had just heard of the name Braeden, and I just fell in love with it. As far as Delacour, it's obviously Fleur's last name, and I just really like it. It sounds very elegant.
Braeden Delacour|br675|Hufflepuff|First Year
Kyros Corvall
No broom

Post by Kyros Corvall »

Kyros is a name I discovered on a list of Greek baby names which means "Leader" or "Master". I just really like it.

As far as Corvall, It really just kind of came to me when I was trying to think of a good last name that would fit well with "Kyros". I liked it too, so there we are. /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />
Estra Black
No broom

Post by Estra Black »

Well my name Estra Black came mostly from Sirius Black.
I think he's fun! As for Estra, well... I think they sound good together. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />
"Harry!" said Fred, elbowing Percy out of the way and bowing deeply. "Simply splendid to see you, old boy--"
"Marvelous," said George, pushing Fred aside and seizing Harry's hand in turn. "Absolutely spiffing."
Percy scowled.
"That's enough, now," said Mrs. Weasley.
"Mum!" said Fred as though he'd only just spotted her and seizing her hand too. "How really corking to see you--"
Penny Hung
No broom

Post by Penny Hung »

Well, even though Penny is my real name, and hung is my real last name, I use it on nearly all of my harry potter. Even though Its my real name, my character is really... me. lol.. not really, but year.
Daniel Pettersson
No broom

Post by Daniel Pettersson »

I simply took my real name, because I always have trouble thinking of names when it comes to these things.
Aeryn Brown
No broom

Post by Aeryn Brown »

'Aeryn' is a more aesthetic spelling of my own legal name, which is going to be legally changed at the first opportunity. And 'Brown' is my real-life surname.
Aeryn

RAVENCLAW PRIDE FOREVER!

I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and the universe in which she spins.
Brenna Delaney
No broom

Post by Brenna Delaney »

I honestly can't remember why I chose Brenna Delaney over all other possibilities. She's been my HP character for years, ever since I realized my Melody Twins were horribly Mary Sue-ish. All I did was go through the appropriate lists on Babycenter.com's Babynamer until I found something with the best sound and meaning. Brenna for Raven maid, because she has black hair and sounds unpretentious. Angharad for Beloved, pretending that it's a family name. Delaney for Descendant of the challenger, just because it sounded cool.

No links, please. -Cosmo
Last edited by Brenna Delaney on Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Morgana Sullivan
No broom

Post by Morgana Sullivan »

Interesting stuff. Whoot.

Anyhow, I'm pretty much obsessed with fantasy-stuff, and a while ago I sort of discovered Arthurian legend. "Morgana" comes from the other name of Morgan le Fay, who I find a really interesting character. Plus, the name is pretty. =)

"Sullivan" comes from Gaelic meaning "dark-eyed one", which I am, though I discovered the name while searching for a meaningful character name for a story. Funny how I used it differently than planned. Hm.
Growing old is mandatory...growing UP is an option.

[[Morgana Sullivan~Ravenclaw~First Year~mo803]]
Rion Tenssen
No broom

Post by Rion Tenssen »

My name is Rion Tenssen, how did I come up with the name?

Well I like to hand out in my neighboor's house alot and she's very into Japan and the japanese languege. Of course, she has a nick name in japanese and I wanted one.

Rion in japanese means lion, which is my favorite animal by the way.

And Tenssen came from my brother's nick name, while we were coming up with a last name.

Thus appeared the name "Rion Tenssen"! /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />
::<<Rion Tenssen>>::
::<<Proud Slytherin>>::
::<<Rocking the Snakes>>::
::<<First Year>>::

"MONKEHZ!!!"
Freddie Wallace
No broom

Post by Freddie Wallace »

Well my name isn't all that exciting!

When I joined HOL I too was under pressure to quickly pick a name. I though of one of my favourite names and I am also a big fan of Queen. So here I produced Freddie!

Wallace is just a random name that I got from a name generator. It was the surname. I thought it was funny so I used it! Also Wallace and Gromit are good!
Amica Somnium
No broom

Post by Amica Somnium »

Well, Amicus is friend in Latin and Somnium is leader in Latin. I thought that this both sounded pretty and made an interesting name, so that was that!
"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals" Sirius Black, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Katie Stuart
No broom

Post by Katie Stuart »

Oh well....Katie is my real first name so I used that as it was easy and simple. And Stuart I just randomly picked because I thought the name sounded nice.

Everyone else has really special pretty names that sound really cool but mine sounds really common!

Oh well! /unsure.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":unsure:" border="0" alt="unsure.gif" />
Naomi Wise
No broom

Post by Naomi Wise »

Don't worry, Katie. You're not the only one who looks at this and says, "er... I guess I just picked a *name*." /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I like the name Naomi and Wise just seemed like a perfectly normal surname to go with it. It's nothing fancy, nothing meaningful. Just a first name and a surname I thought went together and sounded relatively timeless (not caught up in any era or culture's naming trends).

Call it a euphonious invention. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
Ani Snape
No broom

Post by Ani Snape »

Ani, cause its my name in real life and Snape cause I have a slight obsession with Alan Rickman and he plays Snape in the HP films so...
Ani Snape|Second Year|Slytherin
Orchid Nox
No broom

Post by Orchid Nox »

We got kittens a few months ago - one, the gray one, was to be named Orchid - because when we picked it out, we thought it was female. The other, another female, was to be named Nox. So, the name Orchid Nox naturally came about.

Unfortunately, both kittens turned out to be - well, here is their picture:

Orchid, aka Loki, turned out to be male.

And we decided that Nox just didn't fit - because she's a lil stinker - and now her name is Eris.
Don't mind me...

Return to “The Great Hall”