Pet Discussion #3

Class led by Prof. Gustavo Flores

Moderator: Prof. Gustavo Flores

Prof. Gustavo Flores
Silver Arrow

Pet Discussion #3

Post by Prof. Gustavo Flores »

November's Pet Discussion:

In my experience, cats are animals that you either love or hate, few times there is a middle point between love and hate. Why do you think is that? What makes a cat annoying? Or, on the other hand, what makes a cat so adorable? Which is your posture about cats?

There is no right or wrong answer, just please explain the reasons behind your wishes. At least 100 words for full marks. Please post your answer in the correct thread in our Class Forum.

This discussion is worth 10 House Points
Arianna Stonewater
Comet 140

Re: Pet Discussion #3

Post by Arianna Stonewater »

I like cats, though I am unfortunately allergic to them. I did have one when i was younger though. I loved petting her soft fur and cuddling with her (when she let me anyway!) When i was sad her purring always picked me up and she never licked my face like my neighbor's dog (slobbery and eww.) However, she was also at times standoffish and her claws really hurt until we got them capped!! I think the worst thing though was the non-purring noises. Waking up at 3am to the sound of your cat hacking up a hairball or vomiting the food they ate too fast is the pits!
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

I like cats. I was lucky enough to grow up with both a cat and dogs, so a tendency to prefer one to the other because of early exposure (or lack of it) as a kid passed me by.

Why do people like or love cats? Cats know who they are and what they are and they are sleek, elegant, intelligent, beautiful, agile, caring, loving and independent. They can also be lethal and (apparently) heartless.

Why do people dislike or avoid cats (besides if they are allergic to them)? Cats know who they are and what they are and they are sleek, elegant, intelligent, beautiful, agile, caring, loving and independent. They can also be lethal and (apparently) heartless.

They do not usually suffer what they perceive as abuse without letting the person who is abusing them know they don't like it. One just doesn't tell a cat what to do. Well, a person can do that, but the cat just looks at you and ... does what they want! I think that cats may annoy folks who expect obedience as their due. With a cat, respect has to be earned, and deserved.
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Shiloh Adlar
Cleansweep One

Post by Shiloh Adlar »

I personally love cats. My cat, Onyx, who I have had since he was still a baby kitten, is my best friend. Although he is currently living with my parents, and I miss him dearly, we still talk on the phone with each other. My mom says he'll purr when he hears my voice and rubs his face against the phone. He is very protective of me, and whenever I am feeling upset or down, he would always come over and cuddle with me like he knew I wasn't okay. He wanted to make it all better.

The part that can be annoying about Onyx is that when he was living with me, he would wake me up around 4-5am so I could feed him. Other times, he would start meowing in the middle of the night if another cat came up to the apartment. He also liked to lie down on my school books while I was trying to study. I know he thinks that he was probably helping, but really, it made it more difficult to do anything.

I do miss his cuddles, and I can't wait to see him again when I do finally go back home for a visit.
Shiloh Adlar, Seventh Year
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire
Amanda P. X. Sim
No broom

Post by Amanda P. X. Sim »

I believe that there is rarely a middle point between love and hate due to the difference in how some cats would treat you before and after warming up to you. Before warming up to you, a cat can be incredibly defensive, running away as soon as someone attempts to invade their personal space, even going as far as to baring their claws. After warming up to someone, however, a cat tends to drop its guard and “allows” you to be within it’s personal space. Cats may sleep upwards of 15 hours a day, and they tend to look for a warm heat source to sleep next to, which may include us or our computer. This is commonly seen by us as being adorable as it seems as if the cat is cuddling up next to us. I personally adore cats, and think that the warming up period is easily worth the companionship that comes after it.
Amanda P. X. Sim | am970 | Gryffindor | Fourth Year
"Magic lies within the hearts of those who choose to believe"
Iverian Gnash
Cleansweep One

Post by Iverian Gnash »

Personally, I love cats, but most people (ie. siblings, family members) have told me they hate them. I don't know exactly why you'd hate a cat, but perhaps it's because they don't seem to have the same effect that a dog does. Cats will generally leave you alone, but they are also very defensive when they're annoyed at something. A lot of people are allergic to cats which may be a big reason people don't like them. I know my aunt had a cat and they'd complain about it getting on the sofa and tearing it up with its claws, so maybe a general dislike of them comes from such behavior as well.
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. - Dalai Lama

Return to “Care of Magical Pets”