Suspicious Spells

Discussions About the Harry Potter World

Moderator: Prefects

Iverian Gnash
Cleansweep One

Suspicious Spells

Post by Iverian Gnash »

Throughout the wizarding world, we encounter quite a few spells that just... stick out. Some of them serve a very particular need like Avis for summoning birds and others are unique like Expecto Patronum. Spells like Avis tend to raise some questions though. Why was it created? Were there massive problems with birds that someone was trying to summon elsewhere to not create a problem anymore?

Of course, there are many new spells that haven't been created and serve a specific purpose as well. Personally, I think we need a laundry folding spell. We have the clothing animation spell, but a spell to simply fold the clothes is definitely needed.

What spells do you think are unnecessary and do you have any ideas (as crazy as they may be) of how these came into existence? Is there a spell you've thought for a while is definitely needed?
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. - Dalai Lama
Lucia Dinapoli
No broom

Re: Suspicious Spells

Post by Lucia Dinapoli »

Avis is definitely a good one to question. I like to maybe imagine that this is used by the students of Mahoutokoro Wizarding School when they travel via Giant Storm Pestrel…although whether this works on magical birds is up for discussion.

One spell I think absolutely should exist is a spell to alert Auror’s. Almost similar to Muggles calling for the Police. I feel a lot of things could have been prevented if Auror’s were alerted of dark wizardry from far away without use of Owl waiting time etc. I suppose firing red sparks is great for location, like a flare, but when in danger it helps for those who do the protecting to know what they’re up against…if not a spell actual Phone calls are definitely something the whole Wizarding world could probably benefit from.

Another spell I would love to have would be one for translating languages. I love language but I find it’s something that doesn’t come easy to me. It would be great I could master Parseltongue and talk to our house snakes with one simply spell.

Return to “Harry Potter Talk”