Hogwarts' Tutors

Discussions About the Harry Potter World

Moderator: Prefects

Iverian Gnash
Cleansweep One

Hogwarts' Tutors

Post by Iverian Gnash »

Hogwarts classes were not always the easiest to manage. We see students struggle with them quite a bit throughout the books. Hermione frequently helped Harry and Ron with their homework and we see students turn to each other for help with spells.

You could possibly go to your professors for additional help or spend time in the library studying, but what if your professor wasn't available and you could only read so much? Class tutors in the muggle world help students learn the skills needed to succeed outside of class, but we don't see any tutors at Hogwarts.

Do you think Hogwarts should hire older students to tutor certain classes like Transfiguration, Potions, Astronomy, etc... or is the current system working well? What should the requirements be for these tutors (fifth year, having passed the class with an O, etc...)?
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. - Dalai Lama
Prof. Maxim Trevelyan
Nimbus 1000

Re: Hogwarts' Tutors

Post by Prof. Maxim Trevelyan »

I kind of thought that was always the case, just not explicitly stated? But then again, considering what is allowed to go on at Hogwarts (and how backwards the wizarding world is in general), I would not be surprised if they never established any official tutoring program.

Tutors are sometimes indispensable, so they would certainly be useful, but I think there should still be requirements that are left to the discretion of the professor, like being at least a 4th year (to cover the extra classes you get in the 3rd year), having a certain grade average, disposition and time for tutoring, etc.
...also a platonic soulmate and a hot mess of a human being.
Yew Alethia
No broom

Re: Hogwarts' Tutors

Post by Yew Alethia »

We do see Professor McGonogall offer to tutor her subject in canon, and Harry's excuse for Occlumency lessons is "Remedial Potions", so based on the books I'd imagine that teachers offering extra classes would be the norm, and their judgment would be trusted.
That said, a lot of fanfictions seem to use study groups (and paid at-home tutors for purebloods), and let's be honest, the DA is glorified DADA tutoring with a vigilante lean. I could also see Dueling Club having been a substitute for DADA tutoring in earlier times. So, if there were active student groups, I don't see any need for official tutors. If there were going to be school-sanctioned tutoring though, I think one possible way it could work is as an official part of prefects' duties to tutor their housemates in subjects they scored highly in. Realistically, they'd probably require E scores rather than O, though, as most tutoring organizations I've seen don't seem to require A's, but that may be regional.

Return to “Harry Potter Talk”