Better Not Shown

Discussions About the Harry Potter World

Moderator: Prefects

Prof. Maxim Trevelyan
Nimbus 1000

Better Not Shown

Post by Prof. Maxim Trevelyan »

As fans of novels, we want to see as many details brought to the screen as possible. We see the story, wish for some scenes to be longer, rant about all the changed details, and lament why they did not include something.

However, sometimes, some scenes or events are better left in the books and not shown on the screen. Either they are inconsequential to the bigger story, would not flow well if adapted or we just plain do not want to see them.

I am incredibly glad that they did not show Harry’s date with Cho in the tea-shop. It is written very well, you really believe that teenagers would act like that, but the second-hand embarrassment alone would kill me.

What are some of the scenes in Harry Potter books that you are happy were not shown in the movies?
...also a platonic soulmate and a hot mess of a human being.
Iverian Gnash
Cleansweep One

Re: Better Not Shown

Post by Iverian Gnash »

I agree on Harry's and Cho's date. That would have been rather awkward especially when Cho wasn't made too big of a deal of in the movies.

I can't remember many scenes that were left out, but at the beginning of the book when Harry's recounting all the times his magic had intervened in a situation and he didn't recognize it wasn't included in the movie. I feel like it would have unnecessarily lengthened the movie there.

There was one scene that I wish had been included which was S.P.E.W. since they entirely left that out, but I'm glad they left Winky out of some scenes (though I think she should have been in some) because it put a depressing side on the books and it would have conflicted with how the house elves felt since Dobby wanted to be free. It would have made the movies confusing to have both sides of the argument shoved into a short film.
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. - Dalai Lama

Return to “Harry Potter Talk”