OWLS and careers

Discussions About the Harry Potter World
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

OWLS and careers

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:45 pm

Obviously, students could leave the school at any time -- homeschooling was a thing that many witch families had. One received the letter to attend Hogwarts - an 'invitation' .... sort of.

But say you did attend the school. Would you want to attend all 7 years and 'graduate' -- take those nasty NEWTs and continue on in a field of your choosing? Or would you take your OWLs and depart -- perhaps to start up your own business, like Fred and George Weasley?

A google search (OWLS Hogwarts) shows, in part
An Ordinary Wizarding Level (often abbreviated O.W.L.) is a standardised subject-specific test taken during Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry students' fifth year, administrated by the Wizarding Examinations Authority. The score made by a student on a particular O.W.L. determines whether or not he or she will be allowed to continue taking that subject in subsequent school years, and whether they might be successful in obtaining a particular job.
As well as referring to the test that students take in their fifth year, the term "O.W.L" also refers to the type of class, i.e. the level of difficulty of the class the student is taking. In addition, "achieving an O.W.L" is used to refer to a class in which the student has passed their O.W.L exam (example: Harry Potter received an O.W.L. in Transfiguration by attaining a passing grade on the O.W.L exam for that class.)
So what kind of career would you want to pursue, when you left school? Would you leave, even before taking your OWL exams? (Remember that OWLs are sat in different years of schooling, depending upon the school!)
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Vanessa Tilley
Silver Arrow

Re: OWLS and careers

Post by Vanessa Tilley » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:07 pm

I would LOVE to be a curse breaker! I have always had a love for history and ancient Egypt is one of my favorite periods. It would be so cool to explore places muggles don't even know exist and see everything up close. I would love to see how magic and curses have been able to withstand the test of time. I am a bit of a treasure hunter nut and I read ALL the books I can find with adventure stories and the main characters tracking down ancient artifacts like Atlantis and fun things like that.

I would stay for my OWL examines and continue my education until I was done through because messing with curses can be a very tricky business and I wouldn't want to accidentally set something off and be turned into a crocodile or something crazy like that forever. Although, that might be pretty interesting. I feel like I would need the full education to know just what I am up against and to learn what to do in case of an emergency.

Siggy and avatar made by the wonderful Professor Scarlet for Slythmas! :wub:
Iverian Gnash
Silver Arrow

Post by Iverian Gnash » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:55 pm

I've always wanted to be an Auror! There are so many things that appeal to me about that job - the respect of being an Auror and all the training you have to do to get there, the excitement of the job (there's barely ever a dull moment), and all the danger involved in it.

I definitely wouldn't leave school after taking my OWLs. I don't trust myself very much to excel without a proper education so I'd make sure I have all the training necessary and anything that'll give me a boost when it comes to looking for a job. I'd continue on until after I take my NEWT's and graduated. I'd focus mostly on the subjects I have to excel in in order to be an Auror and wouldn't worry too much about anything else.

The only reason I would leave school would be if I had already started up a business of my own/share it with someone else because then I have a good reason for it. However, I still wouldn't leave school until I can support myself.
Thank you Maxim for my siggy and avatar! <3
Lora Wallabenger
No broom

Post by Lora Wallabenger » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:30 am

I want to be an Auror for sure ! The job is amazing...filled with dangerous adventurous and all the secret missions you've got do. Most of all it's interesting and also never a dull moment like Ivey said.

And about the OWls. Yes,I would definitely take the OWLs before leaving the school-Well I should! To get the job I'm aiming for I should complete my education successfully up to the NEWTs . Nobody knows when I'll be needing my skills and if I get myself stuck in tough situations it'll be a good help.
Arianna Stonewater
Comet 140

Post by Arianna Stonewater » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:14 am

I want to work for the Committee on Experimental Charms, so I definitely want to take as much schooling as possible to learn what already exists so I can help create new ones! OWLs are important to me so i can continue taking the classes I need, but the NEWTs don't seem as important
Tristan Genoe
No broom

Post by Tristan Genoe » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:25 am

I think I'd do my best in OWLs and if I were good enough, or enjoyed the subject, I would've taken the NEWTs too. I don't have a particular career in mind, but I love the outdoors, so I would probably do something with that.
Maxim Trevelyan
Cleansweep Two

Post by Maxim Trevelyan » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:15 pm

I think that I would do what I am doing now. Do all the OWLs and do them as best as possible. :P This would certainly be harder in the book world than here on HOL, but I think that with a lot of orgnaization (and tears) I would have managed. As for NEWTs, I think it would largely depend on what career I would have chosen. But perhaps to be safe, as I am wont to do, I would try to do as many NEWTs as possible so I could mix and match my exam results for any careers that might have interested me.

Return to “Harry Potter Talk”