The Paladin Prophecy: Just Another Tuesday - Lyle Ogilvy

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

The Paladin Prophecy: Just Another Tuesday - Lyle Ogilvy

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

In this topic we discuss the first chapters of The Paladin Prophecy. Meet Will West. He seems your ordinary 15 year old boy, living with his parents in a town in California. A sophomore at his local High School, he's on the cross-country team, and about to go out for his morning run. Then things become a bit strange, a bit scary and we land in a story which is not 'ordinary' at all.

The book starts with a quote:
Every crime is punished,
Every virtue rewarded,
Every wrong redressed,
In silence and certainty.

--Ralph Waldo Emerson

What does that quote have to do with this part of the story? Anything? Nothing? Or is it something that the author put there to have us wondering 'what is going on'?

Please remember to include spoiler tags when discussing specifics.
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Re: The Paladin Prophecy: Just Another Tuesday - Lyle Ogilvy

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

The quote at the beginning of the book, before even the prelude, somehow soothes even as it opens questions of 'what is this book about'? What 'crime', what 'virtue', what 'wrong'?

Then, that page in italics, before the story proper begins, I don't know that I ever did figure that out ... or did I?

Anyway, here's Will, an ordinary high school boy, 15 years old, about to go off on an early-morning training run. He feels like he's hit the 'parent lottery' (although I sort of wonder about all the Rules that his Dad made ... which is explained later on) and all is right with his world. That's in the first couple of pages. But there is a niggling sense of unease started on page two which escalates, by the time the first few chapters are over, to his whole world turning upside down and inside out.

We're seeing things as Will sees them. There are many things in the story which show up, and are unexplained, yet one has a sense that, sooner or later, a more full understanding of who and what and why things are happening ARE happening.

What's funny is that Will is so 'typical' of a 15-year-old guy, which is to say, there is no such thing as a 'typical' 15-year-old guy! I really enjoyed reading about Nando. I've actually met folks like him, so could accept his willingness to help an utter stranger. I love how the 'heroics' of the story are not all done by the usual persons. In fact, I really enjoy this book so far. The villains are of all kinds, the heroes are of all kinds, and it's a wonderful smorgasbord of individuals and I wonder how they will interact.

And Dave. Well.
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Katelin Ross
Oakshaft 79

Re: The Paladin Prophecy: Just Another Tuesday - Lyle Ogilvy

Post by Katelin Ross »

I finally got around to reading this book. It was sitting on my bedside table for quite some time. My first impression of the novel is weird. I think this definitely hits all the aspects of this group of chapters. I have enjoyed how they have developed some of the characters, but I am also confused on some of the placements of the characters at this point. My biggest question/dilemma is the school. I have gone back and forth as to whether the school is bad or good, and whether the guys that have been following him to try and capture him have anything to do with the school. I guess I shall wait and see how the story line progresses. So far it the book is weird, and at the same time, mysterious.

Thank you to my Secret Santa 2018 for the wonderful signature and avatar!!

Return to “Book Teasers”