Fish in a Tree: Chapters 39-51

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Amy Lupin
Shooting Star

Fish in a Tree: Chapters 39-51

Post by Prof. Amy Lupin »

The remaining chapters (chapters 39-51) of Fish in a Tree will be discussed in this thread, as well as the overall book itself.

The Ally we meet at the beginning of the story is very different from the Ally at the story’s conclusion. In what ways is she the same, and in what ways has she changed? What did you think of the overall book?

Please remember to include spoiler tags where necessary.
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Re: Fish in a Tree: Chapters 39-51

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

In many ways, this book reminds me of a favorite book of mine, Ready Player One (by Ernest Cline). It's not the thing of the story line, no, and the protagonists of the story do not appear to be anything alike, but both stories about persons who do not 'fit in' to the regular society which surrounds them. They change, internally, and this internal change has, as always, external manifestations. It's a book which speaks of trial and terrible things that happen but of inner strength building from it, and how, as one person changes, so do others. The consequences of these changes flow and ripple and affect everyone.

So things really change by the end of the book. Ally does go over to Shay and make an overture of friendship, which Shay simply throws back into Ally's face. "At first I'm surprised, but then I realize it wasn't a mistake to come over, because it felt like the right thing. Shay's the one who decided to act mean, but at last I tried. I have to admit, though, I do feel sorry for her."

I'm really glad that Lynda Mullaly Hunt doesn't wimp out at the end of the book, as concerns Shay. So often in a book of this kind, the author has the 'nasty' person do a complete about-face of choices and attitudes. That usually just doesn't happen in real life unless there is a very good reason why.

I loved how the 'Albert' situation straightened out too. What an awesome person he is! And Keisha ... wow.

Then, Ally extends this offering of friendship and possible healing to her brother, Travis. And Ally knows that Travis will be brave enough to say yes. It takes so much courage to say 'yes' to healing. It takes so much courage to say yes to 'hope'.

As for Mr. Daniels. :wub:
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis
Nimbus 1500

Post by Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis »

By working with Mr. Daniels, Ally gains more confidence in her school work. She even tries to complete all of the assigned work when she’s only asked to do half of it. Her confidence also extends to her interactions with other students. She didn’t notice it until it was validated by the election for a class president. Shay probably nominated Ally as a joke, assuming that no one would vote for Ally. When Mr. Daniels read the votes out loud, it finally showed Ally that her classmates, not just her close friends, think highly of her.

It was great to see Albert stand up to his bullies, though he mainly did it because they insulted Keisha and Ally. He’s a very loyal friend.

Ally is so much happier now that she has a name for her problem and is learning how to overcome it. She identifies that her brother also has the same problem and asks Mr. Daniels to help Travis learn how to read too.
Katelin Ross
Oakshaft 79

Post by Katelin Ross »

Ally is a completely different person from the beginning of the book to the end. In the beginning of the book, we meet a very angry, withdrawn and given up student. She is angry with the world, and has no intentions for changing her mindset. Fast forward to the end of the book to a confident Ally who wants to learn to read, and has even brought in her big brother, so he can learn to read too.

The Ally we see in the beginning is nowhere near the Ally in the end. She goes through several hardships and triumphs throughout the book that has made her a better person. She ran and won for Class President, she earned an award in class, and she has even tried to rub off her new attitude with Shay. I'd like to think that Shay's attitude changed in the end too, even though we are left to our own imaginations with that.

This was an amazing novel that had me reading it every moment that I had. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone. It is a fabulous read!

Thank you to my Secret Santa 2018 for the wonderful signature and avatar!!

Return to “Book Teasers”